Surepost and the new contract

Packmule

I've noticed that since August when we were in a holding pattern on the contract, Surepost volume seemed to grow exponentially.
Shouldn't we now see more of that stay in our system under new language and has anyone noticed a difference?

Yes and yes. It has already started to switch over for us. They have been testing the new technology prior to ratification and I expect it to be more volume than we will want.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Something to keep in mind guys is now under the new contract I believe any sure post package going to a business address is suppose to be delivered by ups...even personal packages that are ordered by employees of said company...not sure if there is a way to make sure this is happening though. .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Something to keep in mind guys is now under the new contract I believe any sure post package going to a business address is suppose to be delivered by ups...even personal packages that are ordered by employees of said company...not sure if there is a way to make sure this is happening though. .

Other than the drivers who deliver to the Post Office looking at each and every package there is no way to make sure this is happening.

Sent using BrownCafe App

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I have noticed it no longer prompts us to answer yes or no. When you deliver to the post office. I agree with upstate. There will be no way to control what packages go to the post office. Ups is picking and choosing. There is no way the union can enforce the package flow.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have noticed it no longer prompts us to answer yes or no. When you deliver to the post office. I agree with upstate. There will be no way to control what packages go to the post office. Ups is picking and choosing. There is no way the union can enforce the package flow.

The computer is picking and choosing. The PTers who process the Surepost in my center have no control over which ones we keep and which ones go to the Post Office----they barely have enough time to get the volume processed before start time.

I was also curious as to why we are no longer prompted to answer yes or no when we deliver numerous Sureposts to a non-Post Office address.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
If I don't have to go to the house for a UPS package already. I do bring it to the post office. I can save me up to 30 miles a day. Bypassing 2-4 surepost bags. UPS knows this.

As to the prompt --it changed so much. At one point everyone was sooooo confused . By how to do it. Yes for no. And no for yes. Then I was directed to hit NO every time no matter if I was at a post office or not. Don't worry UPS is making /saving money with surepost.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If I don't have to go to the house for a UPS package already. I do bring it to the post office. I can save me up to 30 miles a day. Bypassing 2-4 surepost bags. UPS knows this. As to the prompt --it changed so much. At one point everyone was sooooo confused . By how to do it. Yes for no. And no for yes. Then I was directed to hit NO every time no matter if I was at a post office or not. Don't worry UPS is making /saving money with surepost.

Your local Post Office is OK with accepting Surepost packages not addressed to them? Your customers are OK with you adding an unnecessary delay to their transit time? Do you realize that Surepost packages delivered to the Post Office are delayed at least a day and if the choice came down to one of theirs and one of ours they would deliver theirs first?

Do the right thing-----deliver them to where they are addressed.

upschuck

The computer is picking and choosing.
I would hope they are picking and choosing based on the information they get from the hubs' dim scales that measure and weigh them. That should flag them to be moved to UPS to deliver. They have the technology for accurate delivery of surepost packages.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would hope they are picking and choosing based on the information they get from the hubs' dim scales that measure and weigh them. That should flag them to be moved to UPS to deliver. They have the technology for accurate delivery of surepost packages.

The picking and choosing takes place at the center level, not the hubs, based on what is on the 1Z and what is already in EDD for that route. I have no idea if the hubs even have the ability to change the level of service based on dimensions and/or weight.

upschuck

The picking and choosing takes place at the center level, not the hubs, based on what is on the 1Z and what is already in EDD for that route. I have no idea if the hubs even have the ability to change the level of service based on dimensions and/or weight.
The hubs have the dim scales to easily get the sizes correct, there is no reason not to use that information to determine which packages get moved to UPS. Do you think it is all by proximity to other stops? That is not the only criteria in determining UPS's delivered packages. The only way to accurately size each box is to use those scales already in hubs across the USA.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
At some of the smaller post offices they will scan the package and give it back to you for delivery if you already have a deliver for that address. Of course you have to tell them you already have a delivery to that address. Under the new contract this will not be necessary as you can just by pass the PO and deliver it.

;

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The driver has no say as to whether or not to deliver a Surepost to the consignee or to the Post Office. The Post Office cannot scan and then hand back a Surepost for us to deliver. It would show as a misdelivered package w/two scans unless you are not scanning it and are just leaving it with the other package(s).

Sent using BrownCafe App