Surplus equipment

mixyo

Dispatcher
What does UPS do with the equipment that they have replaced or otherwise don't need anymore? I'd love to get some of those tote bins for my house! :chaseups:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Spotted one of our handcarts in a customers garage once. Would like to know that story.

wornoutupser

A cover driver left a magliner at a customer's home. I was told in no uncertain terms that I was not allowed to get it back! They use it for their business now!

FilingBluesFL

I've heard of people being fired for taking LESS than a stupid Tote.

Ain't nothin' at UPS that would look good in and/or around my home.

newfups

I don't think the totes EVER get retired---they just get sent to the building that I work in. They're absolutely shredded, but most nights, they're the best I can find!

When my wife and I sold our first home and were moving to the second a UPS'er friend showed up with a stack of new totes. Didn't ask how he got them and he never told. Had them around for years.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
How the hell does one even walk out the building with totes? Our security guards may be ancient and inept, but I think he'd might notice....maybe!! Lmao so not worth getting fired over!

Back in package car days when we'd bring smalls out on route or bring totes to be used at pickups every now and then one might misplace itself before it got back to the building. Allegedly.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
UPS moves older package cars around to help reduce the amount of Uhauls they use during peak. Some of these dinosaurs are meant to get crushed, but inevitably they get placed in the lineup because of a repair on a regular truck. Now as far as handcarts appearing outside of UPSers hands, that's because drivers leave them on their routes because there's not enough to go around in the hub. This results in drivers taking other drivers handcarts, leaving them out on their route to prevent them going missing.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
UPS moves older package cars around to help reduce the amount of Uhauls they use during peak. Some of these dinosaurs are meant to get crushed, but inevitably they get placed in the lineup because of a repair on a regular truck. Now as far as handcarts appearing outside of UPSers hands, that's because drivers leave them on their routes because there's not enough to go around in the hub. This results in drivers taking other drivers handcarts, leaving them out on their route to prevent them going missing.
A lot of drivers in my hub padlock them in their trucks to avoid stealing lol.

didyousheetit

One of our drivers found a ups handcart at the crushers facility and went to pick it up. The owner yelled at him and said he paid for it. Meaning that they went to crush the vehicle and someone left it in there. Management said to let it go. So I'm not sure what managements definition of stealing is?

One of our drivers found a ups handcart at the crushers facility and went to pick it up. The owner yelled at him and said he paid for it. Meaning that they went to crush the vehicle and someone left it in there. Management said to let it go. So I'm not sure what managements definition of stealing is?
You should have swapped you Sup for the dolly....Win win...lol

FilingBluesFL

When it's time to crush the cars, it's time to crush the car, no matter what's in it.

New engine, new trans, seems like NOTHING gets spared.

I was at the scrapyard before my "career" and saw a sup. there verifying it's destruction, and documenting it with a camera. It was a lot of fun watching someone with the bulldozer smashing it down to nothing and then putting it in the flattener.

Not sure if that is still done or not, as I'm always working when they're hauled away.