Suspension without pay?

Just had a pcm at my building saying that if us unloaders and preloaders don't know our 8 keys to lifting and 5 keys to preventing slips and falls we will be suspended without pay! Can you believe that? I know the supervisors always say that we "must" memorize all that stuff, but is that really true? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Fnix

They tried it out here and then changed it next week and said "we wont discipline for not knowing them anymore"

Just had a pcm at my building saying that if us unloaders and preloaders don't know our 8 keys to lifting and 5 keys to preventing slips and falls we will be suspended without pay! Can you believe that? I know the supervisors always say that we "must" memorize all that stuff, but is that really true? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

This line of B.S. has been tried for the driving sector also. As long as you can demonstrate working knowledge and can perform the job using the proper methods you don`t have to recite anything word for word. Grieve any threats or attempts at suspension.

brownrodster

When I was a part timer loader our PT supervisors would tell us that if we did not know the safety stuff when some suit asked us we would get fired. Of course this was their only way of motivating us to know this stuff. When we completely bombed the ketter audit it was the PT sups that mysteriously disappeared.

over9five

Staff member
I really hate that! That they threaten people with this stuff. It's bogus.

Where's your shop steward? I think he needs to have a talk with that sup.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Whoever gave that PCM is just a fearful little maroon who is feeling the heat from above to make his numbers and satisfy a corporate edict. Mindless regurgitation of acronyms, buzzwords and slogans is not a condition of employment at UPS. If you want to nip this crap in the bud, tell all of your coworkers to deliberately miss every question. Lets see just how eager your sup is to suspend his entire workforce....methinks he will get the message and come up with a more effective and appropriate method to motivate his people.

upsdude

Whoever gave that PCM is just a fearful little maroon who is feeling the heat from above to make his numbers and satisfy a corporate edict. Mindless regurgitation of acronyms, buzzwords and slogans is not a condition of employment at UPS. If you want to nip this crap in the bud, tell all of your coworkers to deliberately miss every question. Lets see just how eager your sup is to suspend his entire workforce....methinks he will get the message and come up with a more effective and appropriate method to motivate his people.

Sober...........

I don’t disagree at all with your comments, here’s the problem. When we were first PCM’d with the “you have to know the safety stuff” line our local BA was in attendance. UPS management (at the time) said the union agreed that employees must know the “stuff”, the BA gave a nod of agreement.

I asked the BA to please point out to me where the union has agreed to this and show it to me in the contract. He said it wasn’t really in the contract but the company could do so anyway. Huh?

Our local is worthless! Now, before folks jump on here and say “you guys can get involved and stop this”, wrong. UPS employees don’t have the majority, believe me we have tried over and over to elect competent leadership. Sadly the BA is a former UPS driver that would file for anything and everything. Now he’s just a fat cat cruising around in a car I’m paying for.

dillweed

I don't believe you can be fired for not memorizing the safety stuff but just go ahead and do it. For crying out loud, most of those methods really do help.

When I started no one spoon-fed this stuff to us. We were told to memorize it and we did. It was part of the job. With the attitudes I see here it would be like taking a job as a cashier but refusing to learn to count.

Nowadays I'm seeing new hires brought in early and paid extra time to sit down and have this stuff fed to them over and over. Like babies, yep just like babies with mashed mashed potatoes and a tiny little spoon. Many of them don't even show up for the extra special training and are still within their first 30 days. Know what they do? Just reschedule the training and keep those infants on payroll. Company gives up a good chance to get rid of them right off the bat! My gosh they've already shown what they are so why keep the deadwood?

If y'all can find an easier job with no common sense required go get it. Fry them fries and flip those burgers because those of us who have the sense to accept the responsibilites of a good job get hungry.

drewed

Shankman
It may be difficult to discipline on it, i dont think itd be impossible though.

But on the flip side it really shouldnt be that big of an issue to memorize it, we are talking maybe 10 lines solid text (for non driving employees) its not the preamble to the constitution, its not the gettysburg address. It methods we all do everyday, minimum you should be able to fumble through it. Its taken me 2 months of solid repetitive repeating to get all my employees to where i feel confident they could get through it, now they quiz and challenge eachother on their own.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There was another thread on this topic recently and someone mentioned that thier mgt team had posted this list just above the urinals in the mens room and taped to the floor in front of the commodes in the ladies room.

soberups

Sober...........

I don’t disagree at all with your comments, here’s the problem. When we were first PCM’d with the “you have to know the safety stuff” line our local BA was in attendance. UPS management (at the time) said the union agreed that employees must know the “stuff”, the BA gave a nod of agreement.
There is a fundamental difference between agreeing that employees should know safety methods....and agreeing that employees can be FIRED for failing to regurgitate acronyms on cue like a trained parakeet. The fact that your BA gave a nod of agreement during a PCM doesnt mean that the contract allows the company to terminate your employment for failing to score 100% on a silly word game. Any management person who would threaten termination for failure to recite commentary is not only ignorant of the labor agreement but totally incompetent at managing his workforce.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The basic material that they are asking you to learn is really not that hard. Learning it verbatim can be but I have found that if you have a working knowledge of the material then you will be fine.

soberups

When I started no one spoon-fed this stuff to us. We were told to memorize it and we did. It was part of the job. With the attitudes I see here it would be like taking a job as a cashier but refusing to learn to count.
When I started, there was no safety committee. I was dispatched with 14 hour days in a vehicle with no 3 point seat belt, no power steering, and absolutely no regard made for the safety of the driver. I work in a building that is overcrowded to the point of being dangerous, with chronic egress problems and a total lack of room for the preload to safely handle packages and employ proper lifting methods. It is difficult for me to take UPS seriously on issues of safety when they refuse to solve any of these problems and yet insist upon us memorizing acronyms and participating in childish, 3rd grade word games in order to maintain the illusion of concern for our safety.

soberups

The basic material that they are asking you to learn is really not that hard. Learning it verbatim can be but I have found that if you have a working knowledge of the material then you will be fine.
It wouldnt really be that hard for the company to retrofit its older vehicles with 3 point belts and power steering, either....but our lives as employees have been deemed by Corporate to be unworthy of the expense. They dont give a damn about us....so why should we give a damn about allowing them to score 100% on their stupid Keter audit? If the damn audit is so important to them, then negotiate it into the contract. Until then....it is nothing more than a stupid, childish,irrelevant, kindergarten-level word game that is totally unworthy of my time and mental energy to play.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have agreed when you have made this point several (OK, many) times in the past and will agree with you again. However, that being said, I will opt to recite their little sing-song in exchange for a better than average wage and benefit package and strong pension and retirement package.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Remind them of this pcm when you turn off the belt because the flow is to heavy and your safety is at risk. Or when you cleaning up the grating because its overflowed with packages.

soberups

I have agreed when you have made this point several (OK, many) times in the past and will agree with you again. However, that being said, I will opt to recite their little sing-song in exchange for a better than average wage and benefit package and strong pension and retirement package.
I recite the little sing-song too. I attend the required safety PCM's, and spoon-feed my management the acronyms they want to hear. If thats what they want to pay me to do, then so be it. I simply refuse to place any importance in it, or to be intimidated into thinking that passing the test actually matters.