Sway me.

U

uber

As a Western Conference cover driver with less than a year seniority driving, but over 6 years with the company, why should I vote yes. Right now, I'm leaning no. It doesn't have to be long, just brief talking points. My vote counts for two because I have a brother who's a PT'er that said he'll vote whatever I do.

UPS Preloader

As a Western Conference cover driver with less than a year seniority driving, but over 6 years with the company, why should I vote yes. Right now, I'm leaning no. It doesn't have to be long, just brief talking points. My vote counts for two because I have a brother who's a PT'er that said he'll vote whatever I do.

You Shouldn't. Go with your first instinct.

ymelord

I'm not going to tell anybody how to vote, but I seems to me like teamsters negotiated a contract with their best interest in mind, not mine.

Last edited:

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
You said your brother works PT at UPS? Does he want to go driving one day? Does he want 3 years to make top pay or does he want 4 years to make top pay?
Vote NO.

brown_trousers

I also would like to see well constructed arguments for and against. Its getting hard to sift through all the rehashed rumors and ramblings that dont really have any merit in an argument.

Opinions backed up with contract language with logical conclusions is what will sway me. Not some short rambling of a opinion.

tejano408

well lean to a NO VOTE it's not only benefits but also retirement and if your making UPS as your career you do want a good retirement package

brown_trousers

I think you should break it down into your priorities. ie... pension, benefits, wages, working conditions, etc..

As a fellow west coaster, here are my thoughts, and im still on the fence on what way to vote.

PENSION - im assuming you are vested into the west coast benefits plan. If so, you'd have to be a fool to vote no for this one. Our pension isnt the same as the one in the NMA, it is way better!

WAGES - This is a tough one, we got rid of the split raises for the first three years, but then split raises again the 4th and 5th years. It seems to be an improvement from the last contract, but I feel it could have still been better.

HEALTH BENEFITS - We (part-timers) lost on this issue, but doesnt seem to be as bad as I thought it would be. UPS is covering the difference on some of the downgrades of the new plan. You would need to read through your benefits summary they mailed out last week. But I remain skeptical that even if they did renegotiate, we (west-coast) would be last to recieve any improvements here.

FT OPPORTUNITY - The only thing I was hoping to see here, is to red-circle my PT air driver wage when bidding to FT driving... it didnt happen, probably never will! The rest of the language promising more FT opportunity is hogwash, the union didnt enforce the FT job creations last contract, why would they do it for this one?

U

uber

I consider myself a fairly astute fellow. But, sometimes mundane, contract vernacular bores me.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Lets clear up this "wages" theory once and for all.

Where exactly did the raises come from? Did this cost UPS any "real" money or "new" money? The answer is simple. NO.

Who then is funding these raises?? Think about it for a second.

Well, if you said the part timers, then you'd be correct. By "EXTENDING" the progression period for ALL partimers, thats MONEY right out of their pockets and then given back to us in the form of WAGE INCREASES.

Lets take a part timer who gets promoted to full time driver. By "EXTENDING" progression to top pay to 4 years, that extends itself over a one year period to $15,000 dollars in straight time and over time for the fourth year.

Thats $15,000 times (x) each part timer who goes full time. Package drivers have to wait 2 years to make the extra .25 cents when they go to feeder. The international DIDNT get us higher wages from the company, they simply agreed to extend progression for part timers and take the money they are taking away from those part timers and applying it to wage increases.

If this thing passes, then "WE" all owe the part timers a debt of gratitude for sacrificing themselves for the rest of us when we brag about the $3.90 cents we took out of their collective pockets.

Peace

TOS

stink219

You said your brother works PT at UPS? Does he want to go driving one day? Does he want 3 years to make top pay or does he want 4 years to make top pay?
Vote NO.
Your assuming that it would stay at 3 years with a no vote. What if they renegotiated and they payoff is Healthcare will remain as the UPS plan yet at a 5 year progression? It would be ratified. You just friend'ed his brother over. I'm convinced you have absolutely zero knowledge of how a negotiation works.

stink219

Lets clear up this "wages" theory once and for all.

Where exactly did the raises come from? Did this cost UPS any "real" money or "new" money? The answer is simple. NO.

Who then is funding these raises?? Think about it for a second.

Well, if you said the part timers, then you'd be correct. By "EXTENDING" the progression period for ALL partimers, thats MONEY right out of their pockets and then given back to us in the form of WAGE INCREASES.

Lets take a part timer who gets promoted to full time driver. By "EXTENDING" progression to top pay to 4 years, that extends itself over a one year period to $15,000 dollars in straight time and over time for the fourth year.

Thats $15,000 times (x) each part timer who goes full time. Package drivers have to wait 2 years to make the extra .25 cents when they go to feeder. The international DIDNT get us higher wages from the company, they simply agreed to extend progression for part timers and take the money they are taking away from those part timers and applying it to wage increases.

If this thing passes, then "WE" all owe the part timers a debt of gratitude for sacrificing themselves for the rest of us when we brag about the $3.90 cents we took out of their collective pockets.

Peace

TOS
Your math is completely wrong. Stay with being a secretary. Did you know that progression can be reduced and eliminated for PTers that drive as seasonal? So let's see the full math now. Did you include the increase in starting pay for the people that do FT? 16.10 to 18.75! You missed that? Your slipping dude!

stink219

http://www.teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/5713UPSHighlightsfinal_0.pdf

Your assuming that it would stay at 3 years with a no vote. What if they renegotiated and they payoff is Healthcare will remain as the UPS plan yet at a 5 year progression? It would be ratified. You just friend'ed his brother over. I'm convinced you have absolutely zero knowledge of how a negotiation works.
So are you saying he's a ****** ******??? I am.

stink219

So are you saying he's a ****** ******??? I am.
You are 100% correct!!

wgf46

Voting NO, benefits were cut, part time wage increase, not enough (barely over minimum wage) for the load of work in 3.5 to 4.0 hours work. 4 year progression, retiree healthcare. Too much giving up with $4.3 Billion in profits. Profit is after the Bills are paid. I'm glad UPS made profit, had profits not been strong, then serious give and take could have occurred.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Voting NO, benefits were cut, part time wage increase, not enough (barely over minimum wage) for the load of work in 3.5 to 4.0 hours work. 4 year progression, retiree healthcare. Too much giving up with $4.3 Billion in profits. Profit is after the Bills are paid. I'm glad UPS made profit, had profits not been strong, then serious give and take could have occurred.

This is wrong.
All Capital Expenditures over $500 are made with after Profit funds.
There are other expenses that are not deductible as an operating cost and are paid with after Profit funds.