Taken out of service for not knowing safety dribble?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Re: Taken out of service for not knowing saftey dribble?

Does it make any of you others who work for this company absolutely sick to your stomach to realize that while our competition is out there making a huge effort to take our volume, ups is wasting company time and money with this kind of chaos. Why cant the company just do the "right thing" once in a while. EVERYTHING is an issue, EVERYTHING is a conflict, on and on and on. Is this ever going to change, cos its getting go friend'ing old. It is absolutely amazing that employees even are able to put up with it day in and day out. Do you think this kind of drama happens at fedex....I really dont think to the extent at it does at this joint. ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC.

tieguy

Banned

Failure to regurgitate acronyms is not a terminable offense. Nowhere in the contract does it state that memorization of the 10-point commentary is a condition of employment.

What I find troubling is when I first began working for UPS a ketter audit consisted of a simple 10 questions of which the answers were obvious. It seems over time the amount of material has been growing ever since. Some of it for me has been going from being a hub worker to a driver, but it is becoming an obscene amount of material. If it weren't for my good memory I would probably not know it all that well because to be honest I'm not spending my free time outside of work memorizing material for work. If they aren't willing to let me memorize it on the clock then I'm not going to try memorizing it at all.

I don't disagree . Its good information to know but where does the memorization end.

tieguy

Banned

The Keter audit isn't a big deal. Its just an audit. Someone with nothing better to do decided that we all needed to recite acronyms like trained parakeets. Some people will memorize them verbatim. Others wont. Life will go on.

good advice sober that should get one of the thousands of posters here fired.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Does it make any of you others who work for this company absolutely sick to your stomach to realize that while our competition is out there making a huge effort to take our volume, ups is wasting company time and money with this kind of chaos. Why cant the company just do the "right thing" once in a while. EVERYTHING is an issue, EVERYTHING is a conflict, on and on and on. Is this ever going to change, cos its getting go friend'ing old. It is absolutely amazing that employees even are able to put up with it day in and day out. Do you think this kind of drama happens at fedex....I really dont think to the extent at it does at this joint. ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC.

at our hub, in the past couple days, management decided to "do away" with DECAP clerical and combine the boxline/sort clerical jobs. Gee, this leaves the 22.3s who bid clerical/hub in a predicament? What happened to the clerical part, now they're (we're) out there sweating and sorting with the hub part timers doing part clerical and part package humping.

Hub -Hub jobs pay 28+ an hour, but now 22.3 clerical/hub will not make that rate but be put through the same workload as those making top driver rate.

This is IMO a good example of UPS doing their best to bend the contract how they want without giving any consideration to what is "right". What is the point of having clerk on a bid when it's 90% slaughter and 10% tapping new labels....

Storm723

Preload Supervisor

The Keter audit isn't a big deal. Its just an audit. Someone with nothing better to do decided that we all needed to recite acronyms like trained parakeets. Some people will memorize them verbatim. Others wont. Life will go on.

I mean no disrespect but.....maybe you should do a little homework and find out what the KETER Audit is. It is very obvious you know very little about it, and you shouldn't be passing around the wrong information. Sorry....

Storm723

Preload Supervisor

Why don't you go work for Fedex? Just wondering....:smart:

Tony31yrs

The problem with memorization is that it's just that-memorization. It's better to teach people the methods and let them practice them than to just repeat them mindlessly back. It's important to know what to do with hazardous spills and how to shut off belts, etc., but you really don't have to know the rules word for word. Some guys are just going to work and drive safer by nature. Besides, some of the best guys at memorizing the rules would forget all about them once they got on the road and started running and driving like maniacs so that they could scratch. Our center always had a better safety record when they eased up on SPORH.

tieguy

Banned

The only "sacrificial lamb" in all of this will be the manager who is stupid enough to actually take someone out of service for not memorizing a commentary. He's going to wind up owing that employee back pay, and Corporate will not be happy.

you fail to understand how serious this subject is. The management person threatening your job is getting his threatened over whether you know the material or not. You should do yourself a favor and stay off this topic. Your ignorance may convince someone else to get theirselves into hot water.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

you fail to understand how serious this subject is. The management person threatening your job is getting his threatened over whether you know the material or not. You should do yourself a favor and stay off this topic. Your ignorance may convince someone else to get theirselves into hot water.
Then perhaps as a company we should reevaluate whether or not it is appropriate to threaten people over their failure to correctly regurgitate acromyms.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor

I absolutely agree with you. I can say when I was a loader and in the union, I thought these methods that I had to memorize were common sense and it was stupid that I needed to know them word for word.

Now as a supervisor I understand why it is important. I wasn't standing back and watching people before, I was working. But... I can say now that it is a fact that if you utilize the methods that are provided to you the risk for injury is minimal.

I see people try to grab a 70lb+ irreg from the ground, without leveraging anything, without bending at the knees AND THEN TRY TO CARRY IT ALL THE WAY FROM THIER TOP CAR TO THE BOTTOM ONE. I correct this immediately, however...

This will also be the first person to complain about both his back hurting and why he has to memorize the methods word for word!

This is part of the reason why I feel (and this is only my opinion however, something I try to do) that it is important not only to train the methods but to train belt speed, PPH, load quality, misroutes etc...as well as provide an explaination as to why these things are important.

I think if people had more of the the knowledge behind why they have to do certain things, and why we do certain things, they would have a greater sense of pride for what they do, they would also be more aware of their surrounding, their peers and safety.

Safety always seems to be a bunch of nonsense until someone (you) is/ are seriously injured.

I don't mean to sound like I am preaching or brainwashed but it is the truth.

P.S.
Don't let me have to fight the belt speed issue now...lol!

soberups

I mean no disrespect but.....maybe you should do a little homework and find out what the KETER Audit is. It is very obvious you know very little about it, and you shouldn't be passing around the wrong information. Sorry....
I know exactly what a KETER audit is. It is a mechanism for UPS to be able to pretend that it cares about the safety of its employees. It is a way for UPS to co-opt the Safety Committees and keep them focused on word games and cookies instead of authentic safety issues. It is part of an overall system to keep OSHA off of our backs. A company that made a business decision to save $30 by deleting a 3 point seat belt can instead trot out a book of acronyms and get that warm fuzzy feeling of safety.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor

I know exactly what a KETER audit is. It is a mechanism for UPS to be able to pretend that it cares about the safety of its employees. It is a way for UPS to co-opt the Safety Committees and keep them focused on word games and cookies instead of authentic safety issues. It is part of an overall system to keep OSHA off of our backs. A company that made a business decision to save $30 by deleting a 3 point seat belt can instead trot out a book of acronyms and get that warm fuzzy feeling of safety.

Sadly enough...your sarcasm is funny, however not even close. Your line about keeping OSHA off our backs probably came from my post in a previous thread I remember seeing you on. However, what I stated was:

UPS is OSHA compliant however, self regulating. KETER is the organization UPS hired to assist with OSHA compliancy, which in turn keeps them self regulating.

I see and understand your point about the 3 point seat belt, but I bet it is safe to say there probably was/ is a reason.

brett636

I will have to respectfully disagree with both tie and storm on this issue. I have only worked for ups for over 8 years now, but I have seen a lot of people come and go, and honestly not one of them was disciplined or fired over not knowing the saftey material on a ketter audit. The overall importance of this audit rests on the shoulders of the managers/supervisors who should be going over this material with their employees, and it is those same managers/supervisors who will lose their job if their underlings don't know it well enough. An hourly past their 30 days is pretty safe from any disciplinary action should they not properly recite some saftey garble to a ketter person.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Why don't you go work for Fedex? Just wondering....:smart:

I really hope your not saying that ups has our best interests in mind when making decisions, come on. How much money and time does ups waste in grievances where they know something they did was wrong but want to fight it anyway. You see the absolute disrespect many supervisors have toward some of the hourly folks...do you call this behavior professional and businesslike?

tieguy

Banned

I know exactly what a KETER audit is. It is a mechanism for UPS to be able to pretend that it cares about the safety of its employees.

you don't get it.

It does not matter whether you think its some BS way for UPS to show it cares about safety.

In fact its an audit mandated by OSHA. Its an agency that reports the results directly to OSHA.

People get fired over the results of this audit.

Stop being so frigging hard headed and think.

If you want be so arrogant and risk your job then do so. But don't recommend that other people risk their job when you don't understand how serious the Ketter audit is.

tieguy

Banned

I will have to respectfully disagree with both tie and storm on this issue. I have only worked for ups for over 8 years now, but I have seen a lot of people come and go, and honestly not one of them was disciplined or fired over not knowing the saftey material on a ketter audit..

Brett you've been lucky then. I'm just warning you don't roll the dice on this one. Its coming. Its not going away.

I have absolutely nothing to gain by warning you on this website. If I didn't care I would just shut up and let soberups lead all of you to the exit door.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor

Brett you've been lucky then. I'm just warning you don't roll the dice on this one. Its coming. Its not going away.

I have absolutely nothing to gain by warning you on this website. If I didn't care I would just shut up and let soberups lead all of you to the exit door.

Yeah, I have to agree with Tie. You've been warned, what you choose to do with the information is honestly your business. You know the old saying you can lead a horse to water but you can not make him drink.

soberups

I'm not "leading" anyone anywhere. I work as instructed and when they call me in and ask me to regurgitate the acronyms, I do so to the best of my ability and I would encourage everybody else to do the same. I just dont get my shorts in a knot over it, and I'm not going to be intimidated by empty threats. Its only an audit. Life will go on.

soberups

In fact its an audit mandated by OSHA. Its an agency that reports the results directly to OSHA.

People get fired over the results of this audit.

If UPS is firing its own management people for failing to regurgitate acronyms, that is truly a sad commentary on the state of affairs. As far as hourly drivers go....what you are saying simply is not true. It is not a condition of employment to score 100% on a word game, no matter how badly you might wish that it was.

tieguy

Banned

Then perhaps as a company we should reevaluate whether or not it is appropriate to threaten people over their failure to correctly regurgitate acromyms.

Perhaps you could also try to make some changes and stop giving people advice that may cost them money or their livelyhoods.

In todays world memorization is part of the Ketter audit. Again the Ketter team reports to OSHA. Do not understimate the consequences of not knowing or at least being close to knowing the material.