Taking the "good" out of Friday

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Well, the powers that be think everone is closed on Friday so they are cutting a bunch of areas. Happens every year and every year it blows up in their face. Would it put the company out of business to run a few more areas one day a year? I'll call the boss P T cause I'm sure it will be a 3 Ring Circus. BM

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Did they ask you for a closing list? In our center they asked all of us to submit a closing list and they will compare that to last years delivery records to see what was sheeted as CLO-H and then prepare the dispatch accordingly. Our dispatch sup will listen to us so our loads are fairly accurate and he knows that the veteran drivers do not want this volume waiting for them on Monday so they will provide accurate lists.

feeder53

ADKtrails
Corporate decisions are above our level and maybe our ability to air it here will bring it to the attention of management and they can re-evaluate the policy.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
''I know they are closed,can you take it for a ride''!!!! lol lol lol it's only a 300 piece bulk stop at ST. MARYS SCHOOL !!!

ikoi62

Every year its the same thing, 1office out of 20 in a building is closed on Good Friday and the dispatch supervisor closes the whole building, leading to very angry people calling in to ask where their payroll is, which leads to the driver getting asked why he closed the whole building,which leads to very long lines of angry people at the customer counter asking what closed holiday means when they were open or what closed holiday means when the address was a apartment building or a private house. which leads to the clerks going thru all the skids of closed Friday packages to find the package.
Glad in off this friday! :wink2:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Corporate decisions are above our level and maybe our ability to air it here will bring it to the attention of management and they can re-evaluate the policy.
The people who make these decisions quite often have never even been to the same time zone that their decisions are actually implemented in. These people also have never; driven a package car; handled a package; or done anything except sit a a desk with a map book and a crayon.

ikoi62

Sounds good in theory, but we are talking about IE and they have no idea what the real world looks like.
plus this has been going on for most of the 23 years i have been around and it will still be going on in another 23 years i hope.

Tony31yrs

This post brings back bad memories that I don't miss. They always asked for a list of closed and then seldom pulled them off. It got to the point where few guys would tell them the closed because they would just cut routes and put more and more stops on the cars. They knew that guys wanted to get in early on Good Friday, or any other Friday for that matter, so they gave them extra work because they knew they would bust their butts to get in early no matter what. I hated to stay out late on Fridays, but I wouldn't "reward" them, for sticking it to me, by hustling more or skipping my lunch.

DS

Fenderbender
Up here in Canada good Friday is a paid holiday,Monday is not though.
I booked today(Thurs) as an optional 2 months ago so I have 4 days to unwind.So for me today is good Thursday:smart:

moreluck

golden ticket member
It's Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday and Easter Sunday....at least according to the Christian calendar.

Enjoy your mini-vacation DS. Don't eat too many chocolate bunnies !!

BigBrownSanta

I received a message today asking about closed businesses for tomorrow.

I told them all my businesses were going to be closed and asked if I could have the day off.

For some reason they didn't believe me....

bummer.

Man are they going to be surprised when I have 300 send agains tomorrow.

UPS Lifer

Well, the powers that be think everone is closed on Friday so they are cutting a bunch of areas. Happens every year and every year it blows up in their face. Would it put the company out of business to run a few more areas one day a year? I'll call the boss P T cause I'm sure it will be a 3 Ring Circus. BM

Like you said "It happens every year". Actually, It happens every holiday.
It also happens on both sides of the fence. Holidays affect both management and non-management folks. You work load is increased before and after each holiday period.

You have to understand .....
It will never change. Don't expect it to and deal with it. It is the type of business you are in. Once you understand that.... these periods will be easier to deal with.

Seniority ease the pain! As you get more seniority you can take the time off during some (not all) of these holiday periods!

Happy Easter !!! Make the best of it!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
That's a lame excuse. Good friday is not a holiday for most people. Breaking 10 percent of areas is unexceptable. The customer suffers when drivers are covering others work and runing late. Today was pathetic and service suffered. And no one cares.

UPS Lifer

That's a lame excuse. Good friday is not a holiday for most people. Breaking 10 percent of areas is unexceptable. The customer suffers when drivers are covering others work and runing late. Today was pathetic and service suffered. And no one cares.

So - are you telling me that a lot of customers (businesses) were not closed today or closed early? Is that so?

I still stand by what I said in my last post. It will not change so get used to it and go with the flow. It is part of the job and you have to recognize it for what it is.

pkgdriver

So - are you telling me that a lot of customers (businesses) were not closed today or closed early? Is that so?

I still stand by what I said in my last post. It will not change so get used to it and go with the flow. It is part of the job and you have to recognize it for what it is.

Is 95% of buisness stops open a lot? Id say so. 99% of business pkgs open seems like a lot to me. 20 more stops that the day before because of "all the closings" I was told. Oh well, made service and had airs brought in so its all good.