Taking unpaid sick days off. Perhaps too many.

Rawrzxor

So, last week I came down with something. I don't know what it is, but it really seems like strep throat. It's been 5 days already, and I've had a fever that whole time. Luckily, it hit me on Thursday and not last Monday. So, I've only missed 3 days, due to the weekend. Also unluckily, as my weekend was :censored2:. -____-;; Though, I'm still feeling like crap, and am thinking about taking tomorrow off, as well. I'll know in the morning. I don't know for sure if I have strep, because I don't have health insurance and a doctors visit is $100 dollars. @_@ Thanks America.

I've missed quite a few days recently, unrelated to sickness. Last month I broke my big toe (not at work) and could hardly walk on it, which took a week and a half to heal decently to where I could actually preform my job without squealing in pain.

I had a fever of 101 today, which is why I didn't go in. If it is strep throat, I've read that it should resolve itself in 3-7 days, even if untreated, so I'm not going to waste $100 that I especially don't have now on a doctor visit

My dad told me that since they don't have to pay me when I take off that they shouldn't really care. And, my full time sup doesn't seem to care at all. He's just like, "Yeah, alright, whatever. Come in when you feel better."

Plus, I'm a really good worker. Like top 3 or top 5 in my area. I pop 400-500pph, doing like 350 when I'm taking it easy. I take great pride in that since I'm only 135 pounds. Why I say that is--well, 'cause I'm proud of it--but also because some of my co-workers said that they'll be more lenient of good workers when it comes to taking days off. I've probably missed like 3 weeks this year, though...In January, I'll get the healthcare and vacation days, so I'll just be able to go to the doctor and take a paid day. Err. Can you take vacation days for sick days?

Anyway. What do you all think? Will I get in trouble? They haven't seemed to care much, but I worry about my job...

UPS4Life

All depends on how bad they need people. Honestly 100$ for no hassle sounds like a pretty good investment to me. If you really can't afford it all I can suggest is talk to your full time sup and make sure he knows what's going on not just that your calling off

Sent using BrownCafe App

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Don't worry about it, just bring in a doctors note just in case. In the 13 years I've been with UPS I've never been asked for one.

clean hairy

Best is to go to the Doc, and hopefully get a cheap RX.
Otherwise, it is seen as you just wanted unpaid days off and it will come back to bite you later.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'd go to the dr. I remember going into preload sick as a dog a a few times. I figured I either looked sick enough they'd send me home or I could fight through for 3-4 hours of work.

As a driver I call in. I'm not 22 anymore and it's a lot harder fighting through a 9-10 hour day.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You definitely need a dr note if you miss 3 consecutive days. Otherwise pink slip
You are correct. Missing 3 consecutive days...they will not allow you to work again without a Dr note that states that you can return to work. If you show up to work without a note, they will send you home. So, you're going to have to spend the $100 anyway.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I'd go to the dr. I remember going into preload sick as a dog a a few times. I figured I either looked sick enough they'd send me home or I could fight through for 3-4 hours of work.

As a driver I call in. I'm not 22 anymore and it's a lot harder fighting through a 9-10 hour day.
Send us home? I remember one peak...years ago...was a long 9 hour shift. I started feeling nauseous around 3am...I asked my center manager at the time if there was anyway I could leave early (i was low man on the seniority pole). He said no, but he did bring me a wastebasket to throw up in...because the nearest ladies room is on the other side of the building. That was a long night.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
cameron-im-dying.gif

Rawrzxor

Typing on a laptop, and working your ass off in the hub are two different things, Wally.

Thanks everyone. He asked me for a doctors note if I take anymore days off after today. If I'm not better by tomorrow, I'll just have to go to the doctor.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
So, last week I came down with something. I don't know what it is, but it really seems like strep throat. It's been 5 days al ready, and I've had a fever that whole time. Luckily, it hit me on Thursday and not last Monday. So, I've only missed 3 days, due to the weekend. Also unluckily, as my weekend was :censored2:. -____-;; Though, I'm still feeling like crap, and am thinking about taking tomorrow off, as well. I'll know in the morning. I don't know for sure if I have strep, because I don't have health insurance and a doctors visit is $100 dollars. @_@ Thanks America.

I've missed quite a few days recently, unrelated to sickness. Last month I broke my big toe (not at work) and could hardly walk on it, which took a week and a half to heal decently to where I could actually preform my job without squealing in pain.

I had a fever of 101 today, which is why I didn't go in. If it is strep throat, I've read that it should resolve itself in 3-7 days, even if untreated, so I'm not going to waste $100 that I especially don't have now on a doctor visit

My dad told me that since they don't have to pay me when I take off that they shouldn't really care. And, my full time sup doesn't seem to care at all. He's just like, "Yeah, alright, whatever. Come in when you feel better."

Plus, I'm a really good worker. Like top 3 or top 5 in my area. I pop 400-500pph, doing like 350 when I'm taking it easy. I take great pride in that since I'm only 135 pounds. Why I say that is--well, 'cause I'm proud of it--but also because some of my co-workers said that they'll be more lenient of good workers when it comes to taking days off. I've probably missed like 3 weeks this year, though...In January, I'll get the healthcare and vacation days, so I'll just be able to go to the doctor and take a paid day. Err. Can you take vacation days for sick days?

Anyway. What do you all think? Will I get in trouble? They haven't seemed to care much, but I worry about my job...
No, you can't split up your week of vacation into 5 extra sick days. And really, tell us more about what a really good worker you are who calls out 3 weeks a year. If you're not puking...man up and go to work. Then go to the doctor.

brown bomber

brown bomber
worked 30 + yrs.,.. the only times that I had to take over 3 days off in a row were when I got Bronchitis and Pneumonia,...these were both a the end of peak,....too many hrs., perhaps ??
all other long term issues were work related,..broken bones,..strains ,..and sprains,...COMP issues

Indecisi0n

Send us home? I remember one peak...years ago...was a long 9 hour shift. I started feeling nauseous around 3am...I asked my center manager at the time if there was anyway I could leave early (i was low man on the seniority pole). He said no, but he did bring me a wastebasket to throw up in...because the nearest ladies room is on the other side of the building. That was a long night.
I would have purposely puked on the belt.