Talk with because of misloads

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Our Union Local agreed some years ago that Preload is no longer a skilled job and gave up the $1/hr premium. Bonus is a company thing and different from one Center to another.
Nice to see a local with backbone! I wonder what they got in return?

specter208

FYI if at any point in the day you get help on any trucks. Management can't pin those misloads on you because your help may have been responsible for them.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
The goal is to force them to give you a "talk with" because of your pace and nothing else.
As for reducing misloads, never leave a vehicle with unsorted packages on the 8000, stack as little as possible, try not to use the floor, even for floor stops just put RDR on shelf 6 if you have space. if you are scribbling on boxes, make it have a purpose by having the HIN visible and legible when loaded.
Shorthand hins/street names/buisnesses help me plenty for spotting misloads and leftover add-cuts as well as keeping stuff together when moving items to the floor or "snaking" the load to another shelf. (IE 2000 = 2, La Grande Way = LG, Exeter Road = X, Possum Court = Po, etc)

Last edited:

WTFm8

FD17BF5D-E54B-475E-9C3E-6E86C4A599F8.jpeg
5416A4C2-B6B3-4287-B056-D3508136123D.jpeg
B45C96A9-C616-4426-89D3-E2B08032D027.jpeg
As for reducing misloads, never leave a vehicle with unsorted packages on the 8000, stack as little as possible, try not to use the floor, even for floor stops just put RDR on shelf 6 if you have space.

You’re funny. This is a p1000 almost daily.

Laguna Preload

Okay so last week was my 3rd and half week in preload. I’ve done okay for the most part except to be blunt this last week was a mess. I got moved the first two days to a heavy pull area that wasn’t at the end of the belt but the middle and I wasn’t use to it and I ended up having a lot of misloads in those two days (9 between the two days) the rest of the week after getting moved back to an area I’m use to I only had two the rest of the week. Come Friday one of the sup had a talk with with me about my misloads and said that it went down as an official talk with what ever that means. I’m really worried I’m going to end up getting fired because of my up and down misload issue. I show up on time every time I work and my loads usually look good just my misloads are an off and on issue. Especially since I haven’t technically made seniority yet I’m even more worried I’ll end up getting fired.
Don’t worry about getting backed up on the slide. If management tells you to load faster just say you are working safe and as directed. Scan every package write every hin number (at least the first 2) and do all your add cuts. You will never have a misload unless someone else helped you load. May feel slow at first but then you will start scanning 1000-1200 packages every day with no problem.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Don’t worry about getting backed up on the slide. If management tells you to load faster just say you are working safe and as directed. Scan every package write every hin number (at least the first 2) and do all your add cuts. You will never have a misload unless someone else helped you load. May feel slow at first but then you will start scanning 1000-1200 packages every day with no problem.

Bad advice for a guy who hasn't made seniority.
You don't get to tell them to "shove it", till the union has your back.

Also, not sure what planet you're living on.
Not a new preloader at all, and there's no way in &$*# that I'm loading 1200 packages a day with all the hins written and every package scanned.
At least in the time allotted.

OP, if management tells you to load faster, till you hit seniority, pretend you like following stupid orders.

Laguna Preload

Ok il
Bad advice for a guy who hasn't made seniority.
You don't get to tell them to "shove it", till the union has your back.

Also, not sure what planet you're living on.
Not a new preloader at all, and there's no way in &$*# that I'm loading 1200 packages a day with all the hins written and every package scanned.
At least in the time allotted.

OP, if management tells you to load faster, till you hit seniority, pretend you like following stupid orders.

Ok just let him keep on misloading then drivers are going to love him. I guess every building is different. My sups are more concerned about correct loads then quickness. Been loading 3 months ( not seniority yet in my district) have used the safety card quite a few times and sups always back off as soon as I say “just trying to work safely”. By the way not quite the same as telling them to shove it. That would def not be advised.
Scans are 1000-1200 per day with hins. ZERO MISLOADS. About 5 weeks ago it was at about 800-1000. My point was just try to focus on loading correct speed will come. You will not be let go for slowness nore missloads but drivers will hate you and rightfully so if you keep crapping up their day.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Ok il

Ok just let him keep on misloading then drivers are going to love him. I guess every building is different. My sups are more concerned about correct loads then quickness. Been loading 3 months ( not seniority yet in my district) have used the safety card quite a few times and sups always back off as soon as I say “just trying to work safely”. By the way not quite the same as telling them to shove it. That would def not be advised.
Scans are 1000-1200 per day with hins. ZERO MISLOADS. About 5 weeks ago it was at about 800-1000. My point was just try to focus on loading correct speed will come. You will not be let go for slowness nore missloads but drivers will hate you and rightfully so if you keep crapping up their day.

You're new.
It's ok.

Number of pieces in a day is meaningless without objective statistics. How heavy are your packages vs others? How long are you on the clock? Are irregs shuttled over to you, or sent down the belt? Does your belt jam up? Do they regulate the flow decently? Are arrivals acceptable at your hub?

I'm a "newer" preloader, and I've been loading a heck of a lot longer than you.
Maybe you are the next "best preloader ever", but I doubt it.

Your advice is likely to make him not kept after his thirty days. For all we know, you won't be kept on either.
I made it. I know loads of other guys, (and gals) who made it. They all have a common factor.

They all work as fast as they can.
You can be let go for not being fast enough before you hit seniority.
Just because you haven't been doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
Also, I've personally seen new guys let go because of misloads. I'd say probably 3 - 4 of them for that reason alone. It does happen.

I like my drivers, and do my best for them. But I'm not worried of what they think of me. It isn't my problem. My job is to follow directions given by my supervisors. They request speed.

You seem awfully opinionated for a person who hasn't even made it into the union yet...

Laguna Preload

You're new.
It's ok.

Number of pieces in a day is meaningless without objective statistics. How heavy are your packages vs others? How long are you on the clock? Are irregs shuttled over to you, or sent down the belt? Does your belt jam up? Do they regulate the flow decently? Are arrivals acceptable at your hub?

I'm a "newer" preloader, and I've been loading a heck of a lot longer than you.
Maybe you are the next "best preloader ever", but I doubt it.

Your advice is likely to make him not kept after his thirty days. For all we know, you won't be kept on either.
I made it. I know loads of other guys, (and gals) who made it. They all have a common factor.

They all work as fast as they can.
You can be let go for not being fast enough before you hit seniority.
Just because you haven't been doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
Also, I've personally seen new guys let go because of misloads. I'd say probably 3 - 4 of them for that reason alone. It does happen.

I like my drivers, and do my best for them. But I'm not worried of what they think of me. It isn't my problem. My job is to follow directions given by my supervisors. They request speed.

You seem awfully opinionated for a person who hasn't even made it into the union yet...
At my hub you show up they keep you. Because turnover is so high it is always understaffed.

Raw

Raw Member
Something really needs to be done about misloads, as a driver a misload is the worse! Supes make it seem like they are the drivers fault and expect us to deliver them without it effecting our day, but having to deliver just one misload can add an hour to our day! We are expected to report all misloads before 3 or 4pm but still may have a full pkg car! Needless to say we can`t make plans for the evening because we never know if we will have misloads or have to deliver another drivers misloads! The misload is the major issue that ruins a planned day!

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Something really needs to be done about misloads, as a driver a misload is the worse! Supes make it seem like they are the drivers fault and expect us to deliver them without it effecting our day, but having to deliver just one misload can add an hour to our day! We are expected to report all misloads before 3 or 4pm but still may have a full pkg car! Needless to say we can`t make plans for the evening because we never know if we will have misloads or have to deliver another drivers misloads! The misload is the major issue that ruins a planned day!

I agree that the preload should emphasize load quality. It is beneficial to everyone if the preload does a solid job, and gets the drivers out with good load quality, and no misloads.

But seriously. Stop crying.
If you get a misload that costs you an hour, you are making as much in that hour of OT as your preloader (assuming newish) made in a whole day.

I'm sorry that your "plans for the evening" are on hold, but that's just part of the job.
Like an OB-GYN complaining that his weekends are being ruined by inconsiderate women having babies.

There are a TON of things at UPS that are a problem.
But as a driver, when you focus on a point like this, it just makes you look pathetically entitled.

Raw

Raw Member
I agree that the preload should emphasize load quality. It is beneficial to everyone if the preload does a solid job, and gets the drivers out with good load quality, and no misloads.

If you get a misload that costs you an hour, you are making as much in that hour of OT as your preloader (assuming newish) made in a whole day.

I'm sorry that your "plans for the evening" are on hold, but that's just part of the job.
Like an OB-GYN complaining that his weekends are being ruined by inconsiderate women having babies.

But as a driver, when you focus on a point like this, it just makes you look pathetically entitled.
Misloads are the result of not doing your job correctly, having babies is a medical condition where medical staff is needed..no comparison

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I hear what you're saying loud and clear, bud.
That darn preload is the cause of all drivers' woe and misery.

I hope your loader gives you a 2000 somewhere in the middle of your 8000s.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I hear what you're saying loud and clear, bud.
That darn preload is the cause of all drivers' woe and misery.

I hope your loader gives you a 2000 somewhere in the middle of your 8000s.
Actually yes
You need to turn into a turd and write on everything, slow the friend down. writing on boxes looks good, that's what a higher seniority person said to me, no wait, they told me my perfect handwriting looked like crap and that back in the day they did not have to write on every package...
Ball is in their court when I am behind, which is every day except TWO in the past year.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!

How about you do your job correctly?

Try it sometime