Talking on phone while driving??

The drivers in our center are not allowed to. State law and UPS instructions. It really is not worth the risk. I have had several close calls caused by people/cars darting in front of me. If I had been distracted by chatting with someone, or texting, God only knows what would have happened. Distracted drivers are a danger to themselves and others.

brownedout

Same here Saddlebrook Div., NJ Dist, we are even instructed to not handle our Diads while truck is in motion. Roughly the same as texting.

diesel96

If your hub/center declares no cell phones/bluetooths while the wheels are turning, then it's no cell phones/bluetooths period. Do it at your own risk, and certainly don't answer the phone when a soup is calling while driving. If you do have a bluetooth it's much harder to get busted while your on a cell. Just remember, while your out in the public, think like there's always someone watching you. And BTW, (too all) your not at a Star Trek Convention, don't bring attention to yourself by wearing your earpiece in the hub/center after being told not to do so. It also interfere's with the EDD system.

over9five

Staff member
Contract says we can use cell phones as long as we abide by the law of the state we're in. Here in Mass we can use a cell phone while driving, but texting while driving is now illegal.

Personally, I think it's unprofessional and dangerous to use a cell while driving a package car.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
How about driving a package car down a narrow 35mph road, while on the DIAD using both hands to message center, and steering with the bottom of forearms?

That's what I saw a driver doing last Thursday (ironically the first day Mass instituted the no texting and driving law!) :happy-very:

THis infraction occured on Acapesket Rd in East Falmouth, MA, in case any local mgmt or corporate watchdogs are reading. :happy-very:

Nimnim

The Nim
That's nothing, my friend once drove his manual down a fairly winding road in traffic for about 5 miles while on the cell phone, and eating. I still don't know how he shifted gears. I somehow wasn't paying attention til the end when it dawned on me his hands never touched the wheel.

Oh, we're talking about driving package cars and talking on the phone? Yeah, don't do that. Nothing you need to be talking on the phone for anyways, especially if it's management,

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Our local laws now prohibit handheld phone calls AND texting but before it was illegal I would do it on occasion. Everybody I talked to complained that they couldn't really hear me and it was more of a pain in the ass than a convenience, not worth losing ones job over something "important"

brownedout

OK, forget talking on the phone while driving for just a second. I just remembered a few years ago after my first was born, getting a present. Have a long steep driveway, and met the driver well more than half-way down. She never once looked up from her phone conversation to even acknowledge me while handing me package. Pretty unprofessional girl.

bluehdmc

Or the person having a conversation while in line for coffee at the comvienence store?
In a loud enough voice that everyone can hear?
Just rude!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

OK, forget talking on the phone while driving for just a second. I just remembered a few years ago after my first was born, getting a present. Have a long steep driveway, and met the driver well more than half-way down. She never once looked up from her phone conversation to even acknowledge me while handing me package. Pretty unprofessional girl.

That would have been followed up by a call to the 1-800#.

Cementups

Box Monkey
If your hub/center declares no cell phones/bluetooths while the wheels are turning, then it's no cell phones/bluetooths period. Do it at your own risk, and certainly don't answer the phone when a soup is calling while driving. If you do have a bluetooth it's much harder to get busted while your on a cell. Just remember, while your out in the public, think like there's always someone watching you. And BTW, (too all) your not at a Star Trek Convention, don't bring attention to yourself by wearing your earpiece in the hub/center after being told not to do so. It also interfere's with the EDD system.

This is inaccurate. The bluetooth in your cell/earpiece run on different frequencies and software versions than the bluetooth than the EDD system. Cell phones usse a very simple close range bluetooth system, where as the EDD system uses a longer range version

What is the operating range for different Bluetooth devices?
The operating range solely depends on the device class, for an example:

• Class 3 radios – can send signals up to 1 meter or 3 feet
  • Class 2 radios – generally used in mobile devices – have a range of 10 meters or 32 feet
  • Class 1 radios – generally used in industrial cases – have a range of 100 meters or 300 feet

brownedout

...and it was actually an embriodered blanket from my management team. How unexpected. This does not appear to be common at my center, anyone else ever receive such a gift?

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
...and it was actually an embriodered blanket from my management team. How unexpected. This does not appear to be common at my center, anyone else ever receive such a gift?

I have heard of getting a baby blanket when a child was born in the past. I don't think it was widespread though. Have not heard of that in many years now.
I think it was more just a center manager taking the initiative to do it.