Talking on phone while driving??

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

C'mon Upstate, I don't know about you, but I know how I react about any complaint, warranted (or not)

I hope that you react to them the way that I do. I replay the incident in my mind to see if there was anything that I could have done differently and, if so, will work to correct this. If there was nothing I would have done differently I don't lose any sleep over them. I have had my share of concerns but have worked hard to reduce them.

I find it completely unprofessional for a driver to be on the cell phone while making a delivery, let alone not taking a moment to acknowledge and thank the customer. Yes, I carry a cell, but it stays in the holster attached to my drink holder.

brownedout

I hope that you react to them the way that I do. I replay the incident in my mind to see if there was anything that I could have done differently and, if so, will work to correct this. If there was nothing I would have done differently I don't lose any sleep over them. I have had my share of concerns but have worked hard to reduce them.

I find it completely unprofessional for a driver to be on the cell phone while making a delivery, let alone not taking a moment to acknowledge and thank the customer. Yes, I carry a cell, but it stays in the holster attached to my drink holder.

brownedout

Boy I'm having a hard time working this reply with a quote feature. Anyway agree and agree. Although in years past I would decide I wanted signature or at the very least get SDN from said complainants. This is getting rather hard these days we no longer have much liberty to act on our own and get signature. There are only so many suspicious cars, door to door solicitors, and untrustworthy landscapers (we) can come up with for any given week.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The quote feature is very easy to use. First, choose the post that you want to reference. Second, hit reply with quote. This will bring up that post in a new window. You simply type your reply and then hit post quick reply. Third, if you want to quote two or more posts at the same time, you simply hit the button with the + sign for each post, hit reply with quote and you can then reply to all at the same time. Make sure you hit the + in the order that you want the posts to appear in your post.

If you want to get creative with multi-quotes, hit the + for each post that you want to quote and hit reply with quote. Remove the
for each quoted post, change the text color, and reply to each quote individuallly.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
...and it was actually an embriodered blanket from my management team. How unexpected. This does not appear to be common at my center, anyone else ever receive such a gift?
Yes, and my now 7 year old daughter still uses the blanket while sucking her thumb.

Emilia%20sleeping%20soundly%20122103.jpg

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
Although I talk on my way home or in my personal car, I do not drive and text or talk on the phone in the pkg truck. Like most have said, it isn't wort the risk. Rumor had it a feeder department manager called a guy that was in the yard shifting and he answered the phone and was written up. So, just don't take the risk..

NHDRVR

I have heard of getting a baby blanket when a child was born in the past. I don't think it was widespread though. Have not heard of that in many years now.
I think it was more just a center manager taking the initiative to do it.

We got a blanket for my 1st child and, I was informed, it is a simple matter of your on-road or center Mgr. going on line and filling out a form. Not much to it...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
We got a blanket for my 1st child and, I was informed, it is a simple matter of your on-road or center Mgr. going on line and filling out a form. Not much to it...

How long ago was that?
Wonder if that was eliminated last year along with the other "Appreciation/Recognition" gifts?

moreluck

golden ticket member
WOW !! That was an excellent ad. There's always a few where they think that'll never happen to me, but it has to affect some and maybe change their ways.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

WOW !! That was an excellent ad. There's always a few where they think that'll never happen to me, but it has to affect some and maybe change their ways.

We had a guest speaker at a PCM about a month ago. She was involved in what we would call a Tier 3 accident with someone who was texting while driving. Her vehicle was stopped and the kid who hit here was estimated to be going 37 mph. It was not a direct hit from behind as she wouldn't have survived. She described all of her injuries, her many surgeries and the life-changing impact of the accident. Her presentation was more powerful and had more of an impact on me than any other I have ever attended. Unfortunately, it did not have the same impact on some of my co-workers as I still see them on their cell phones while driving.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Basically, where allowed by law, you can talk on the cell phone while driving. UPS has gotten smarter and is now firing cell phone users for failure to follow instructions/methods.

Drivers have been trained to have 2 hands on the wheel, 10 and 2. If your holding your phone, you do not have 2 hands on the wheel...fired.

If your using your bluetooth, how do they know you are on the phone if their observing you from afar. If they said they saw your lips moving, you just say you were singing "I love rock and roll" to yourself.

UPS has gone so far as to request to see the cell phones of feeder drivers involved in accidents. They want to check the call history to see if the driver was on the cell phone at the time of accident. (DO NOT let them have it even if you were not on the cell phone at the time of the accident)

I agree that driving down the highway and answering a call for a second is not that big a deal. But to carry on a conversation while driving down the highway, or worse yet, through the middle of busy downtown, is not the smartest thing to do.

The contract specifically states that cell phone usage will be abided by according to state law. If your state does not ban it, you can talk while driving, but since when does UPS abide by the contract. You will most likely be fired for cell phone usage and or failure to follow and you will have a fight on your hands.

If you have a strong local, you should be fine, but if your local leaves something to be desired, your pressing your luck.

Talk at your own risk.

Mug

brown bomber

brown bomber
why is it that practically every feeder driver I see, has a cellphone stuck in his/her ear.........I guess there are rules and then there are the other "rules"

S

speeddemon

Does this mean I shouldn't eat my breakfast and read the paper on the way to my first stop? Boooooooo............

upsman13

Basically, where allowed by law, you can talk on the cell phone while driving. UPS has gotten smarter and is now firing cell phone users for failure to follow instructions/methods.

Drivers have been trained to have 2 hands on the wheel, 10 and 2. If your holding your phone, you do not have 2 hands on the wheel...fired.

If your using your bluetooth, how do they know you are on the phone if their observing you from afar. If they said they saw your lips moving, you just say you were singing "I love rock and roll" to yourself.

UPS has gone so far as to request to see the cell phones of feeder drivers involved in accidents. They want to check the call history to see if the driver was on the cell phone at the time of accident. (DO NOT let them have it even if you were not on the cell phone at the time of the accident)

I agree that driving down the highway and answering a call for a second is not that big a deal. But to carry on a conversation while driving down the highway, or worse yet, through the middle of busy downtown, is not the smartest thing to do.

The contract specifically states that cell phone usage will be abided by according to state law. If your state does not ban it, you can talk while driving, but since when does UPS abide by the contract. You will most likely be fired for cell phone usage and or failure to follow and you will have a fight on your hands.

If you have a strong local, you should be fine, but if your local leaves something to be desired, your pressing your luck.

Talk at your own risk.

Mug
i was involved in a accident & they asked for phone records you say i should refuse? how is that going to go over?

Last edited: