Talking

JaxUPSHub

I told the sup, the warning letter would be greived, since passing gas is normal body function.

So, according to your philosophy, it would be ok for someone to urinate on the belts, or better yet go 'seconds' on the belts? After all that is a normal body function as well.

Either way, UPS is not the place where 'manners' count, which is very sad. I always see people spitting on the ground inside the hub. Guess MOM didn't go over 'manners' with these people.

Back to farting, :funny:, to be receiving a warning letter for this is a JOKE, and no supervisor in their right mind would warn you for that. However, if this happens frequently and your co-workers around you are effected by YOUR GAS, I would maybe consider to step somewhere else, where you can fart in total freedom.

over9five

Staff member
However, if this happens frequently and your co-workers around you are effected by YOUR GAS, I would maybe consider to step somewhere else, where you can fart in total freedom.

But then he could be written up and eventually fired for leaving his work area. How would we know if he was leaving to fart, or leaving to avoid work? Perhaps the sup could go with him and make that determination by placing his nose in the appropriate location. Then we have to make sure the sup is always available, maybe this employee can't hold it in for long.

This issue is going to be hard to resolve.

Scooter1

Originally Posted by Scooter1
I told the sup, the warning letter would be greived, since passing gas is normal body function.
"So, according to your philosophy, it would be ok for someone to urinate on the belts, or better yet go 'seconds' on the belts? After all that is a normal body function as well."

Pissing and crapping is a normal bodily function, however, doing it on the belt would not be considered normal "behavior" and subject to immediate discipline. I'm sure management would find a way to fit it under a cardinal sin. Passing gas leaves no evidence, besides, maybe a little residue.

I did talk to the "offender" on the side and told him if the supervisor was smarter, he would have written him up for disrupting the work area, since it was obvious he was doing something to offend his fellow employees. The employee agreed to stop.

What I didn't mention was that the employee was working as a rolver; going into air containers helping other employees catch up with their loads. When he would do his bodily duties, the employees would jump out of the loads and refuse to go back and load. The supervisor actually had a legit reason to write this guy up, he just didn't approach it the right way.

Hmmm, working talking, chewing gum, and farting, now that would be a real talent.

Last edited:
It can get ridiculous.

As a steward I represented a fellow union member that was being written up for farting. The sup said it was disrupting the work area and the employee was going to be given a warning letter. I told the sup, the warning letter would be greived, since passing gas is normal body function. I told him to be prepared to explain how many times an employee can be allowed to fart and how he came up with this number. How would the sup count the farts, since some don't make any noise (silencers)? The sup said it had to do with the smell too, so I asked him how he would measure the smell. He couldn't answer any of these questions. He then got mad when I asked him how many times he farts in a week and to discribe the smell he makes. I told the sup I would embarass him at the grievence meeting and he decided it would be too difficult for him to fight. :dead:
This is hilarious! I spewed tea all over the computer screen when I read it...

PTer4Ever

We were told during our PCM last night that talking would no longer be accepted behavior. The first offense would be a verbal warning. The 2nd offense would result in losing our 10 minute break. Naturally they bring this stuff up when our B.A. isn't in the building.

UPSBluRdg03

We had an old fella named Earl who is a pickoff on a twilight outbound piss down the return slide because he couldnt be relieved from his duty as pickoff. Apparently he asked multiple times and the sup never sent anybody up to take his place. Amazingly no disciplinary action was taken.

RogerThat

Operations Supervisor
Times are changing. Gone are the days of bidding on an "easier job", and milking the clock. Automation is spreading like wildfire into the hubs, and technology is becoming more and more advanced. Production hours is the hot topic across the country right now. We're cutting the fat out of the company, and now management is stepping up their game to take the company to the next level. Our logistics are becoming so streamlined and precise that most employees will be getting there 3.5 and then they're out. Alot of the employees see the train coming, and will try to do whatever it takes to squeeze out that four hours or more.

So yes when you start talking to another employee it:
reduces job awareness. we need you to focus on the task at hand.

when you stop and talk you are now inviting another employee to stop and talk.

slows production

You may not like it but it is the nature of the beast. Everyone must step up their game now. It is not an option that you have. For both management and hourlies. The expectations and goals have been raised and we have to step up. iPods and Cell phones may have been a gray area in the past (discipline wise), but now it is in the red.

over9five

Staff member
We had an old fella named Earl who is a pickoff on a twilight outbound piss down the return slide because he couldnt be relieved from his duty as pickoff. Apparently he asked multiple times and the sup never sent anybody up to take his place. Amazingly no disciplinary action was taken.

That is amazing. The sup should have been suspended for a week.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We were told during our PCM last night that talking would no longer be accepted behavior. The first offense would be a verbal warning. The 2nd offense would result in losing our 10 minute break. Naturally they bring this stuff up when our B.A. isn't in the building.
Oh, that's a good one :happy-very:.

UPSBluRdg03

What gets me, atleast in my hub. Is that UPS started hiring on more PT'ers last year around April with no gain in volume and none expected until Christmas. Yall are so intent on making your numbers or what Roger calls "streamlining the operation" that you would rather hire more people and add overall more hours to the operation just to get it done and get everyone out in 3.5.

RogerThat

Operations Supervisor
What gets me, atleast in my hub. Is that UPS started hiring on more PT'ers last year around April with no gain in volume and none expected until Christmas. Yall are so intent on making your numbers or what Roger calls "streamlining the operation" that you would rather hire more people and add overall more hours to the operation just to get it done and get everyone out in 3.5.

Well every management team has a different way of running their operation. Some will run the exact staffing that the volume calls for. I know we have seasonal hires in our back pocket right now that don't even work everyday... only when we need them and the volume is up.

Other management teams like to run fat and cut/move help and have some leverage to play with in case things get bad. Sure you can give the day off to anyone who wants to call in to cut staffing, but a lot of the time an operation can find itself over staffed.

UPSBluRdg03

I can agree with that. I think our operation has too many people coming in to do what we have to process. I can remember years ago we would have a 90k night and it would take us up until the time midnight is coming in to get it cleaned up, as in we were understaffed. I was getting overtime all the time. Now we run 90k and I can barley get 4 hours and thats only because Im senior man on the belt. I mean we have loaders assigned to a load that does 300 pieces a night. To me it would be much more effiecent to run less man hours by using less people and have the operation time be a little longer.