tardy and sent home

dudebro

Just adding, not 100% on this cuz I'm never late.....
But it is my impression that if you CALL before your start time and TELL them you're running late..they still owe you your guarantee.
If you just show up late, they owe you nothing.

Or maybe that's just HERE.
As far as I've seen it applied in 177 in the past, you have to REPORT. But that doesn't mean other locals haven't reached a local agreement.

That's why our labor manager didn't want people walking around with contract books, he wanted management to talk to him before taking any action. He would point to a 2 drawer file cabinet and remind us that the contract is one part of our relationship with the union, the other part being all the agreements filling that cabinet.

dudebro

If you call me prior to start time and tell me you're running late, I'm going to be a lot more lenient. You gave me the courtesy of a heads up. Especially on preload, I always hated playing that "Are they going to show up?" game.

Yea, but then, like it or not, this one ends up falling under the good guy / bad guy category. Good guy? No problem. Bad guy? I don't have anything for you...

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Funny story.

The "oldest trick in the book" in my hub is to wear white sneakers instead of work shoes to get sent home. We had a guy with maybe a year of seniority on my belt that would intentionally do this once or twice a month in order to get sent home ahead of all of the senior guys.

The third or fourth time he did it, the FT sup told him he had to go home and get his work shoes then report back knowing he had a 45+ minute commute. He came back in around an hour later then sent him back home because he was staffed.

Never happened again.
My building sends home people (when they're voluntarily cutting) based on whoever they decide. Meaning if i want to cut out a little early one morning (and I rarely ever ask)...they can decide nope..and ask a junior guy if he wants to leave instead.

"Oh well, seniority gives you the right to work...not the right NOT to work."
I think that is BS. If 2 of us want to leave early...the senior person should get to go. Whatever happened to "seniority prevails in all situations"?

Never had a problem getting someone to cover for 30 minutes or so. A no call, no show is another story. Seems as though mgmt doesn't go through "people and labor" class anymore.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
My building sends home people (when they're voluntarily cutting) based on whoever they decide. Meaning if i want to cut out a little early one morning (and I rarely ever ask)...they can decide nope..and ask a junior guy if he wants to leave instead.

"Oh well, seniority gives you the right to work...not the right NOT to work."
I think that is BS. If 2 of us want to leave early...the senior person should get to go. Whatever happened to "seniority prevails in all situations"?

Under my supplement, voluntary time off is offered from the top down. This means the senior folks are asked if they wantto leave and then they go down the list.

At the end of the sort its based upon completion of original assignment. Extra work is then taken or passed on in seniority order.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Funny story.

The "oldest trick in the book" in my hub is to wear white sneakers instead of work shoes to get sent home. We had a guy with maybe a year of seniority on my belt that would intentionally do this once or twice a month in order to get sent home ahead of all of the senior guys.

The third or fourth time he did it, the FT sup told him he had to go home and get his work shoes then report back knowing he had a 45+ minute commute. He came back in around an hour later then sent him back home because he was staffed.

Never happened again.
Question...if you leave for a doctors appointment at 330pm can they require you to come back after?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Question...if you leave for a doctors appointment at 330pm can they require you to come back after?

"Technically" they don't have to let you leave for that doctor's appointment mid-shift -- but most supervisors are more reasonable than that. It's also pretty difficult to compel an employee to return to work after letting them leave.

If the appointment is for a recurring/chronic medical condition, then FMLA would cover it. If its for a simple routine checkup, then it would be best to schedule it on a day off.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
"Technically" they don't have to let you leave for that doctor's appointment mid-shift -- but most supervisors are more reasonable than that. It's also pretty difficult to compel an employee to return to work after letting them leave.

If the appointment is for a recurring/chronic medical condition, then FMLA would cover it. If its for a simple routine checkup, then it would be best to schedule it on a day off.
We've had drivers being sent home regularly the past couple weeks...I'm hoping they just send me home but I also don't wanna burn a sick day by going home...it's not life or death but it is a pretty important appointment...we'll see...thanks for replying.

KOG72

I’m full of it
We've had drivers being sent home regularly the past couple weeks...I'm hoping they just send me home but I also don't wanna burn a sick day by going home...it's not life or death but it is a pretty important appointment...we'll see...thanks for replying.
Burn a sick day

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Penile implant?

Cementups

Box Monkey

If your boss calls you and ask you if you want the day off then you can take a dead day (unpaid) you do not have to burn a sick day. But you if you call out then you should be forced to burn a sick day.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Set 2 alarms, 5 minutes apart. 1 on your alarm clock, and 1 on your phone. I do it and I've never missed both.
That's exactly what I did after I was late. It had been a long week of snow and ice. Fortunately they let me work even though I was an hour late on a snow night. After that I always set 2 alarms.

You'll have to take your medicine on this one guy and learn from it.