Tattling on other Union Members

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
How is it that grown men and women continue to believe that they somehow have to "pick up the slack" of a coworker at UPS?

Seriously, what do they put in the water in these buildings?

This rhetoric has made my head hurt during five different decades now.

....SMH

Let me give you all some advice that a senior driver gave me a long time ago.

"It's their building, their boxes, their truck, their uniform, their customers, etc....

....I just work here by the hour"

Very smart fella who apparently contunues to not be heard by many?

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
All documentation I've seen states you are not to "tattle" on other union members. What do you do if your Union "co-worker" is a slacker. His excuse is that he is tired. I can understand that to a point, but does that give him the right to make everyone else take on his work every day because he is too tired to do his job?? He does do some of the job, but goes to the bathroom alot and is always on his phone, so not paying attention to what's going on, us other's have to pick up the slack. It's a part-time job, he doesn't have a second job, very young and still lives at home with his parents.

Curious what you guys have to say about a situation like that. I can't mind my own business about it cuz it is affecting all of us right now cuz we are very short staffed.
Go on an Irish Strike. I do every day if they have me preload

Trailer monkey

All documentation I've seen states you are not to "tattle" on other union members. What do you do if your Union "co-worker" is a slacker. His excuse is that he is tired. I can understand that to a point, but does that give him the right to make everyone else take on his work every day because he is too tired to do his job?? He does do some of the job, but goes to the bathroom alot and is always on his phone, so not paying attention to what's going on, us other's have to pick up the slack. It's a part-time job, he doesn't have a second job, very young and still lives at home with his parents.

Curious what you guys have to say about a situation like that. I can't mind my own business about it cuz it is affecting all of us right now cuz we are very short staffed.

Plus, I bet you are ok, or were ok, with someone standing there playing games on their phone while you were doing all the work.
What is making you think you have to do all the work? You work at a reasonable pace, if it gets to be too much, let them go by or start turning the belt off

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
A younger driver came up to me to say his best friend who was also a feeder driver was talking about bringing a gun to work and shooting up the dispatch area, specifically naming one supe.
I told him he better go to the center manager with this info . I also said if he didnt I would.

He did . The driver was watched very carefully and later failed a drug test ( meth is what the scuttlebutt was ) and he was fired after about 13 plus years of service.

I felt 1000% right even though his friend had some regrets. First of all you take that kind of threat seriously.
Secondly you dont want a feeder driver working while taking drugs.
Cool story…

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
if he's slacking so bad that it's cause for termination than it'll happen. if not, then it's categorically not "too slow" and they just need to hire more people. staffing is a problem that is above your paygrade. supervisor comes at you about being short staffed, you just tell them "so hire some more bodies". don't even let them sneak it into the end of a pcm without a clapback.

Last edited:

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
Thx, but it's not a matter of this guy moving fast. He's letting packages pass by on the belt and won't attend to them cuz he is tired or on his phone and expects someone else to take care of them. Seriously, I do try to ignore it, but can't do my job if I have to do his too.
what do you mean you can't do your job? you get paid by the hour, not by the box. your job is to sling packages the best you can in whatever the present conditions are, that's all you got to do. if his performance is hindering your own that's the belt sup's problem. if your belt sup gives you crap for it, serve up some sups working grievances back at him.

Last edited:

Integrity

Binge Poster

How is this preventing you from doing your job?

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
If you survive this job for 20 years you will be the one hated by the younger group for being slow. The older you get to slower you get.

If you snitch you should be removed from the union.

clean hairy

We do not tattle on other union members.
If the other person is not in the union, and bad mouths the union, it is open season on the other person?

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger

If you all worked like him they would have to hire more people making your job a hell of a lot easier.

AccidentProne

Tell him to do his :censored2:ing job. I wouldn't care if it didn't affect me, but it does. So tell him.

Don't talk to management, they see him, they have cameras on almost all working areas, and sups always around.

If he talks to management about you telling him what's good, your union co-workers will help you get him out.