Tattoo Discrimination

memberoflocal61

Tattoos do not kill brain cells or inhibit a persons ability to learn nor follow dress code policy. Tattoos do not force a person to commit crimes or join gangs. Tattoos does not make good people bad, or automatically make them have a criminal history. Having tattoos is not unprofessional. What's unprofessional is turning down an aspiring employee due to superficial reasons and not their skill level or experience. Some of the nicest people are covered in tattoos, and some of the most judgemental people go to church on Sundays and trolls threads :)

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Tattoos do not kill brain cells or inhibit a persons ability to learn nor follow dress code policy. Tattoos do not force a person to commit crimes or join gangs. Tattoos does not make good people bad, or automatically make them have a criminal history. Having tattoos is not unprofessional. What's unprofessional is turning down an aspiring employee due to superficial reasons and not their skill level or experience. Some of the nicest people are covered in tattoos, and some of the most judgemental people go to church on Sundays and trolls threads :)
My girlfriend is a wonderful person, soldier, and has 4 tattoos. Each of them well out of sight. You're preaching to the choir. What's unprofessional is having such a juvenile world view that you thought all those tattoos wouldn't matter. Do tattoos mean you can't do a job as well as a "clean" candidate, no. But do visible tattoos give employers an impression of your ability for foresight. Yup. And the fact is, tattoos are still very taboo in all customer-facing professions. Is it right? Maybe not, but that is the way it is. You should have known that when you got them. Going back to that maturity thing again. I don't have any, there's nothing so important to me that I can't just write it down and keep it in my pocket.

jaker

trolling
I ask you about how long you worked at ups and how long you had the tats

If you knew that ups has policy about tats then why would you get them in a visible area

memberoflocal61

If you knew that ups has policy about tats then why would you get them in a visible area

I'm pretty sure I responded? but it will be 6 years in may, and yes i've known about the policy and I know that even tho they are in visible area, they are still easily coverable which is the policy...

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The color brown does not do much for your "look" of being professional bud
You are missing the point. Maybe this was already said, maybe it wasn't but I'm not going to read through 12 pages of crap to find out. To the tatooed OP...regardless of whether you had the tats before you were hired or got them afterwards...you have worked here for 6 YEARS. Assuming you have eyes and ears...and something in between those ears, you should know, there are different rules for different people! This is nothing new. If the only thing standing between you and an 80k a year job is your tattoos...get them removed. It's a helluva lot cheaper than hiring a lawyer and burning your bridges.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Perhaps it was because he assumed that, since other drivers were allowed to cover their tats that he would be accorded the same rights.

This isn't about his choice of tats, or where they are located, or what people think of them.

UPS has a policy that drivers must cover their tats. Fine, he is willing and able to do that. Why is he being singled out and denied an opportunity that others are being granted?

I don't have a dog in this fight, and personally I am not a big fan of tats on hands or other visible parts of the body, but the fact of the matter is that the guy pays dues to the same union the rest of us do and it doesn't sound to me like he is getting much in return.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
that-awkward-moment-baby-hand-penis-tattoo-1.jpeg
Here's your package, ma'am...have a nice day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

61, let's suppose you were allowed to drive and agreed to abide by the appearance standards. Let's further suppose that you chose to ignore that agreement and a customer calls in a concern or you are seen during an OAO not wearing your gloves---would you agree to voluntarily resign rather than face termination?

Sent using BrownCafe App

memberoflocal61

61, let's suppose you were allowed to drive and agreed to abide by the appearance standards. Let's further suppose that you chose to ignore that agreement and a customer calls in a concern or you are seen during an OAO not wearing your gloves---would you agree to voluntarily resign rather than face termination?

Sent using BrownCafe App

I would always wear what id be expected to wear, so I wouldn't have to worry about that. id just have to worry about the target on my back for winning