Tattoo Discrimination

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Problem is I have had a full tattoo sleeve for 18 yrs.. When I started on it there was no mention of tattoos being forbidden in the ups dress code.I remember way back when I had a on road with a few visible.All the sudden it was a hot commodity a few yrs ago as ups tried to arbitrarily change its position. My center manager who has since been demoted to on road took some pics of my tatts and that's that.I do not cover them. If we are judging I'd say fat or ugly people are far more offensive
Or worse yet, fat ugly people with tattoos.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
But then again, there are "options".... since feeder drivers can openly display tattoo's.
He's in feeder not package

There are National Grievance Decisions, on the issue.

But, (it seems) the company "policy" is randomly enforced.

In my Local, we have numerous feeder drivers with openly displayed tattoos.

We have pkg guys, that have bid in to feeders.... just for this purpose.

-Bug-

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.

-Bug-

And that seems to be the loophole now. In order to have a standard, it needs to be company wide.

UPS4Life

-Bug-
I don't know of anyone else being pointed out for this issue as many others openly show their tattoos but they seem to have found a way to get him. Get it removed or your fired. I'm sure he could win the grievance but how will he pay his bills while he is off. I'm sure being on his neck doesn't help. Rumor mill is he covered it until other drivers told him to stop because it was making them look bad. Either way :censored2:ty situation since they hired him with it but the tattoo situation needs to be addressed. If you can't have them you can't have them. Kind of a kick in the balls he has to get his removed while other people wear short sleeves or shorts everyday with tattoos out in the open.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Right because women voting, blacks playing on a baseball team, and gay marriage are all choices.

If you don't want to agree with me that is fine. But don't get mad at me because your decision is backfiring.

So is an inability to spell.

Then go work for one of those employers...
One, don't get mad that I have bigger figures then you and spell check didn't pick that up because I type fast. Two, I shouldn't have to go work somewhere else. Why don't you grow a pair.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1429745644.233140.jpg

CharleyHustle

Or is it just opinionated bigots that can't move beyond it? FYI, woman can vote you know. African Americans can play on a baseball team. Same sex marriage is now legal. Just thought you needed to be caught up. BUT, God forbid a truck driver have some tattoos. Beards? Omg!!! What is this world coming to!

The color barrier in baseball is really not a bad analogy. After Jackie Robinson, teams realized they needed to get that kind of talent to compete. Fans, after an initial negative reaction, gravitated to these unique and athletic talents African American players brought to the game and demanded their teams procure the same talent. Bigotry eventually ebbed away and black and latino players became the norm.

The question for UPS and its customers is do they need tatted employees to compete. Will having a uniform dress code be detrimental to the long term success of the company? Or will it be beneficial? The thing that might help tatted employees the most is if they can hit a curve ball, or steal a base, or throw 100mph strikes.

what does having to "grow a pair" have anything to do with appearance standards?

you can have all the tattoos you want, just cover them up.
I was hired with them. I don't know what you look like but if someone didn't like the way your hair looked and the company said wear a hat. You would look at this differently.

upschuck

I was hired with them. I don't know what you look like but if someone didn't like the way your hair looked and the company said wear a hat. You would look at this differently.
They do that. There is a guideline for hair, too. Have guys wearing a hat all year because their hair is too long.