Tattoo Discrimination

clean hairy

This policy is bull:censored2:. I am sorry to see so many people speak so negatively. It speaks to the employees inability to have their own thoughts.
In my building, A lot of drivers are violating the dress code on a daily basis, whether it be long hair, facial hair, or tattoos. No one seems to really care. Still, it URKS me each time I read one of these policies. Who cares if I(we) have tattoos... further more why is everyone judging so harshly? We are not judging you.

UPS is OVER-glorifying these jobs. IDGAF who delivers my packages as long as they are received.
UPS prides themselves on being a military type company... so why are the military policies LESS strict? http://www.armytimes.com/story/mili...attoo-policy-changes-sma-dan-dailey/70791276/

Tattoos are no longer limited to numbers, or size. Accordingly, it is 2015, and nearly 40% or young adults have at least one tattoo. UPS needs to change with the times, instead of having these dated policies.

WOW, we deal with customers... oh man, what a privilege... When will someone realize this is a non-issue. Most of the customers are lower middle class anyway.

Shouldn't being capable of doing your job be paramount?
The fair days work, often does not feel fair. It is always something.

I am an AIR driver, and have kept my tattoos a secret from day one. I have a bodysuit Sans hands, face, neck.

You people are too quick to drink the Kool Aid, and need to change with the times.
I have friends who are lawyers and doctors with tattoos.
It is all very silly if you ask me.

I like my job. I hate the policies.
No one is forcing you to stay at UPS.
Quit and go find an employer that has policies you like.
In fact to save time at an interview, first thing to ask is to see the company policies, and if you like them you will consider working for them.
Let us know how that works out for you.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Even though, this is a resurrection of an old thread....

Guy who works at my building has a neck tattoo they hired him with. I'm sure nobody fully knows the story except him but he was covering it up with make up and a turtle neck for a year now that isn't good enough now they have been trying to fire him for it for the last couple months.

We don't know the story....

But, if he was hired and qualified as a driver (with the company knowing this)

They "bought" him.

If he (some how) concealed it, without the company knowledge, he has a problem.

Long story short I believe he started the laser removal process as the union suggested it the best thing to do and told him if he doesn't finish the process (it takes 4 steps) he will be fired.

Again, we don't know the whole story.

Worst case scenario, he gets disqualified from the package car position.

But then again, there are "options".... since feeder drivers can openly display tattoo's.

-Bug-

UPS4Life

Even though, this is a resurrection of an old thread....

We don't know the story....

But, if he was hired and qualified as a driver (with the company knowing this)

They "bought" him.

If he (some how) concealed it, without the company knowledge, he has a problem.

Again, we don't know the whole story.

Worst case scenario, he gets disqualified from the package car position.

But then again, there are "options".... since feeder drivers can openly display tattoo's.

-Bug-
He's in feeder not package

Sent using BrownCafe App

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
It's really too bad tattoos are forced on people.

Oh wait.

You made the decision to express yourself. You are suffering the consequences.
Or is it just opinionated bigots that can't move beyond it? FYI, woman can vote you know. African Americans can play on a baseball team. Same sex marriage is now legal. Just thought you needed to be caught up. BUT, God forbid a truck driver have some tattoos. Beards? Omg!!! What is this world coming to!

upschuck

Or is it just opinionated bigots that can't move beyond it? FYI, woman can vote you know. African Americans can play on a baseball team. Same sex marriage is now legal. Just thought you needed to be caught up. BUT, God forbid a truck driver have some tattoos. Beards? Omg!!! What is this world coming to!
That's the thing, UPS does not want the image of a truck driver entering into a professional setting of some offices.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
They need to get back to visiting some of these new companies. Tech and software alone have enough inked people to make an octopus question its own identity.

upschuck

They need to get back to visiting some of these new companies. Tech and software alone have enough inked people to make an octopus question its own identity.
You have got to be on the conservative side of this to appeal to the widest audience. You can't go to the most liberal companies policies and expect all companies to follow or accept those rules.

Packmule

In time the policy will probably change. Lord know everything else has! I'm not saying the world around UPS hasn't changed, I'm just saying that as long as they are paying the wages, they have a right to make decisions about driver image, not you or me.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Problem is I have had a full tattoo sleeve for 18 yrs.. When I started on it there was no mention of tattoos being forbidden in the ups dress code.I remember way back when I had a on road with a few visible.All the sudden it was a hot commodity a few yrs ago as ups tried to arbitrarily change its position. My center manager who has since been demoted to on road took some pics of my tatts and that's that.I do not cover them. If we are judging I'd say fat or ugly people are far more offensive

No one is forcing you to stay at UPS.
Quit and go find an employer that has policies you like.
In fact to save time at an interview, first thing to ask is to see the company policies, and if you like them you will consider working for them.
Let us know how that works out for you.
That's stuiped. If I did that the tattoo problem would have worked out. Same if I were to get them removed. Crazy talk. There are less employers that fight you on a tattoo problem then not. I could go to being a cop to firefighter to state work. I have no problem making it work. I like my job, besides I'm going feeders. This will work out. Then people like you will have to pull your foot out of your mouth because you will have nothing powerful to say about it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Problem is I have had a full tattoo sleeve for 18 yrs.. When I started on it there was no mention of tattoos being forbidden in the ups dress code.I remember way back when I had a on road with a few visible.All the sudden it was a hot commodity a few yrs ago as ups tried to arbitrarily change its position. My center manager who has since been demoted to on road took some pics of my tatts and that's that.I do not cover them. If we are judging I'd say fat or ugly people are far more offensive

He took the pics to set the baseline for your existing tats-----any new ones would be an issue.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Right because women voting, blacks playing on a baseball team, and gay marriage are all choices.

If you don't want to agree with me that is fine. But don't get mad at me because your decision is backfiring.
Power is a weekness.
So is an inability to spell.
There are less employers that fight you on a tattoo problem then not.
Then go work for one of those employers...

Packmule

Then again I might be wrong in my last post. The "long hairs" started their thing back in the 60's. 55 years later, they are the "establishment." And 55 years later UPS still demands a haircut and no beards. Maybe this company is a bit more stubborn than others.

PT Car Washer

Then again I might be wrong in my last post. The "long hairs" started their thing back in the 60's. 55 years later, they are the "establishment." And 55 years later UPS still demands a haircut and no beards. Maybe this company is a bit more stubborn than others.
You could say stubborn, or they refuse to lower the standards.