Tattoo Discrimination

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
To be blunt, you would need to use the back door if you were to deliver to my business. There is no way that I would want you to interact or be seen by my customers. I can fully understand why UPS does not want you to represent their business.

You made some poor personal choices which have severely limited your options later in life.
To be blunt....you are a bigot.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I can understand UPS's concerns and I respect the right of the company to establish appearance standards....but they need to be fair and consistent in regards to how those standards are decided upon and enforced.

There are numerous drivers in my building who were hired with visible ink and it was only in '04 that the company finally decided that visible ink ought to be banned. At that point, new hires were made aware of the fact that visible ink was a no-no but those who had been hired prior to that were grandfathered in. The drivers with ink who were hired afterwards are allowed to cover them up with sleeves, gloves, elastic bands etc.

Whether or not you approve of the OP's lifestyle, tattoo choices or attitude is irrelevant. If he is able and willing to comply with the company's appearance standards and cover up his tats, what right does the company have to deny him an opportunity to drive?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

To be blunt....you are a bigot.

Why? Because I have preconceived notions about people with excessive tattoos? I am not going to apologize for my beliefs on this subject and applaud the decision to disqualify this guy based solely on his inability or unwillingness to meet our appearance standards.

I found it very amusing when you made the mistake of trying to engage wkmac in an intellectual debate on his terms over in Current Events. You were clearly way out of your league----wkmac beat you up and stole your lunch money with one hand tied behind his back.

You need to stick to playing Noah and using 10 words to express what the rest of us could say with 1.

Tattoos have become so main stream that eventually ups will have to change their stance or they won't have enough viable candidates. It seems like the vast majority that was born in 1982 or later have ink.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Tattoos have become so main stream that eventually ups will have to change their stance or they won't have enough viable candidates. It seems like the vast majority that was born in 1982 or later have ink.

UPS will allow facial hair before they allow someone like the OP to become a driver.

Much has been said about my stance on tattoos and perhaps some of it is valid.

I was watching the Heat/Bobcats game last night. The Heat has a player named "The Birdman" who is known for his eccentric behavior and excessive tattoos. What is not generally known is that Chris Andersen is an incredible athlete and one of the hardest-working players on the team yet a lot of people, myself included, have a hard time getting past the ink to appreciate the talent that he has and energy that he plays with.

I readily admit that I am "old school" and when my daughter mentioned that she wanted to get a tattoo to honor her deceased grandfather my only request was that it be somewhere where it would not preclude her from working in a setting which required business attire.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Why? Because I have preconceived notions about people with excessive tattoos? I am not going to apologize for my beliefs on this subject and applaud the decision to disqualify this guy based solely on his inability or unwillingness to meet our appearance standards.

I found it very amusing when you made the mistake of trying to engage wkmac in an intellectual debate on his terms over in Current Events. You were clearly way out of your league----wkmac beat you up and stole your lunch money with one hand tied behind his back.

You need to stick to playing Noah and using 10 words to express what the rest of us could say with 1.
You don't have to apologize for your beliefs, but with actions such as that, you would alienate yourself from customers, both current & potential, (word of mouth travels fast, the internet even faster) and would most likely never prosper, & quickly disappear.
A business owner needs to try as much as possible to be all welcoming. You never know from from who you can learn, and profit.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I guess this would depend upon the type of business I would hope to open and the potential customer base I would hope to draw from.

The best example I can think of would be the scene from "Pretty Woman" where Julia Roberts is denied service based solely on her appearance. While this example does not support my position it does clearly show the power of perception and the perception some business owners may have if the OP were to walk in their front door delivering packages.

Sent using BrownCafe App

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I guess this would depend upon the type of business I would hope to open and the potential customer base I would hope to draw from.

The best example I can think of would be the scene from "Pretty Woman" where Julia Roberts is denied service based solely on her appearance. While this example does not support my position it does clearly show the power of perception and the perception some business owners may have if the OP were to walk in their front door delivering packages.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Agree (somewhat) with what type of business you would hope to operate. As to your analogy, business 101, change is inevitable, change with the times or you'll quickly be out of business! My point being, tats are main stream & aren't going away. Adapt, Embrace, & PROFIT!

Docparcel79

I think it's on where your Center is located and state. I've seen here in the Northeast drivers covered with sleeves and leg sleeves. Like a past thread, in California it's the "normal" to see people with visible tats. Being in a conservative state your pretty much done. Stay on your unload shift and continue to be that power house PT...

Sent using BrownCafe App