Tattoo Policy

wadep

No need for policy, there's law. In Canada it's the Freedom of Expression in the charter of rights. Inthe U.S. of A it's the freedom of rights in the constitution.

drewed

Shankman
No need for policy, there's law. In Canada it's the Freedom of Expression in the charter of rights. Inthe U.S. of A it's the freedom of rights in the constitution.
'
Wow, I wish I could be sooooo ASSuming, you could assume that if you were required to work at UPS, youre not, so in the USA its what UPS says goes :)

'
Wow, I wish I could be sooooo ASSuming, you could assume that if you were required to work at UPS, youre not, so in the USA its what UPS says goes :)
I'm pretty sure even UPS can not trump The Constitution of the United States. The biggest problem with that defense would be in getting the USSC to hear the case and the expenses of fighting the issue that far.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
You guys are not listening very well. The right of the employer to set standards for the employees to meet has been upheld by the supreme court. Many times. So sue away, you have lost before you pay your first dime.

They have the right to set standards, and you have the right not to work there. Working there is an option, not a right.

You can express yourself all you want in your personal life, but at work, you must conform or they dont have to hire/work you.

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I exactly agree with the policy printed and handed out. Obviously some leeway needs to be given to those who have been working as is for quite sometime now with no problems.

They will need to tell people though that at some certain date......it's in full effect.
The problem with this is, once put into effect (again), eventually somewhere it will not be enforced and the company will be right back to where they are right now. It does no good to put a policy into place and then not enforce. We have many of those now, including our contract.

bellesotico

BOXstar
You guys are not listening very well. The right of the employer to set standards for the employees to meet has been upheld by the supreme court. Many times. So sue away, you have lost before you pay your first dime.

They have the right to set standards, and you have the right not to work there. Working there is an option, not a right.

You can express yourself all you want in your personal life, but at work, you must conform or they dont have to hire/work you.

d

I was going to say the same thing.

Regardless, tattoos are not a protected form of speech, therefore they are not covered by the Constitution.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
protected form of speech

So answer me this, is using foul language a protected form of speech?

Try it in front of a customer with kids and see how long your job lasts. Or at a school.

You can live your life as you see fit. That is your constitutional right. But UPS also has a constitutionally protected right to dictate how you will appear and act in dealing with our customers.

d

Try it in front of a customer with kids and see how long your job lasts. Or at a school.

You can live your life as you see fit. That is your constitutional right. But UPS also has a constitutionally protected right to dictate how you will appear and act in dealing with our customers.

d
Just curious , where is that right protected?

UPS Lifer

Just curious , where is that right protected?

I will give you a link to the online version of the Constitution. I actually perused it for awhile. It then dawned on me about the timing!

This quote came from a section that interprets the language.
Absolute) Freedom of Speech and Press

The Constitution does protect the freedom of speech of every citizen, and even of non-citizens — but only from restriction by the Congress (and, by virtue of the 14th Amendment, by state legislatures, too). There are plenty of other places where you could speak but where speech can and is suppressed. For example, freedom of speech can be and often is restricted in a work place, for example: employers can restrict your right to speak in the work place about politics, about religion, about legal issues, even about Desperate Housewives. The same restrictions that apply to the government do not apply to private persons, employers, or establishments. For another example, the government could not prohibit the sale of any newspaper lest it breech the freedom of the press. No newsstand, however, must carry every paper against its owners' wishes.
Thanks to Dave Pullin for the idea.

http://www.usconstitution.net/constnot.html#exp

Whether you want to believe it or not ... this should settle this ongoing battle.

Employees don't have the right to express themselves any way they see fit and seek the protection of the 1st Amendment.

You do have the right to start your own business and compete with UPS and have Tattoos coming out your yin-yang! No offense! After all, I am just expressing my freedom of speech as long as Cheryl lets me! This is her website and her rules!

:its_all_good:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
By several rulings made by the supreme court.

BTW,
I'm pretty sure even UPS can not trump The Constitution of the United States. The biggest problem with that defense would be in getting the USSC to hear the case and the expenses of fighting the issue that far.
This reminds me of a discussion I had a while back. Involved a two year old that could not understand that "no, hot" was not a suggestion, but a warning that would save the two year old some painful experiences.

So what do you do? I guess let them find out the hard way?

d

UPS Lifer

As for this "retro" policy thing.... i.e. allowing those folks who think they were hired under the "it's OK to have a tattoo showing" policy or lack of one; those folks should not have any special allowances for tattoos. A reasonable accommodation should be made for any employee. Cover it up! Wear a flesh colored bandage or long pants and a long sleeve shirt... or a combination.

Don't forget the summertime - you won't die if you wear a long sleeve shirt. The shirt & pants actually protect you from the harmful affects of the sun and heat.

OH! Shame on those management folks who don't know how (or are too afraid of confrontation) to enforce the policy equally. Treat all your employees the same if you expect to get any respect!

As for this "retro" policy thing.... i.e. allowing those folks who think they were hired under the "it's OK to have a tattoo showing" policy or lack of one; those folks should not have any special allowances for tattoos. A reasonable accommodation should be made for any employee. Cover it up! Wear a flesh colored bandage or long pants and a long sleeve shirt... or a combination.

Don't forget the summertime - you won't die if you wear a long sleeve shirt. The shirt & pants actually protect you from the harmful affects of the sun and heat.

OH! Shame on those management folks who don't know how (or are too afraid of confrontation) to enforce the policy equally. Treat all your employees the same if you expect to get any respect!
I still don't think it's right to expect someone hired with visible tats twenty years ago and NOW they learn they have to wear long sleeves and get overheated (I have worn long sleeves when the temp was above 100 before so please save me the BS)or find another job. Oh granted UPS has the right to do anything they please, but it doesn't make it right in a fair sense.
I'm not gonna change my mind, I'm not gonna change your's....so I give....calfrope.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This quote came from a section that interprets the language.
Absolute) Freedom of Speech and Press

The Constitution does protect the freedom of speech of every citizen, and even of non-citizens — but only from restriction by the Congress (and, by virtue of the 14th Amendment, by state legislatures, too). There are plenty of other places where you could speak but where speech can and is suppressed. For example, freedom of speech can be and often is restricted in a work place, for example: employers can restrict your right to speak in the work place about politics, about religion, about legal issues, even about Desperate Housewives. The same restrictions that apply to the government do not apply to private persons, employers, or establishments. For another example, the government could not prohibit the sale of any newspaper lest it breech the freedom of the press. No newsstand, however, must carry every paper against its owners' wishes.
Thanks to Dave Pullin for the idea.

http://www.usconstitution.net/constnot.html#exp

I can still recall from my high school civics class the example that was presented which involved freedom of speech--"You do not have the freedom to yell "Fire" in a crowded theater."

Employment at UPS means adhering to a set of standards, to include appearance standards. These standards must be uniform and applied in a consistent manner across the board. Problems arise when these standards are not applied in a consistent manner. This is where the argument from those who were hired with visible tats comes in to play and, to be fair, may have some merit; however, the argument that these tats can easily be covered while at work also has merit. The argument that tattoos are a protected form of speech has no basis and can be dismissed.

I have a female co-worker who has the letters "L O V E" tattooed across the knuckles of her left hand and another word on her right which escapes me now. I think she had this done when she was much younger and think that she now regrets getting it done but, the point is, other than wearing gloves year round or having the tattoo removed, her tattoo will be visible. Now, does it have an impact on how she does her job--no, she is one of our better drivers. However, first impressions are usually lasting ones and it has taken me a long time to get past my first impression of her and to see beyond the tats to see what a nice person she really is and not the biker chick that I first thought she was.

My center manager uses the word Perception quite a bit (IMO too much) but I do think that it can be used here.

S

speeddemon

I have had minme for 20 years. They hired me with it showing, promoted me to driver with it showing. Never said a word to me until a few years ago......and I still got it, and it AINT COVERED.

bellesotico

BOXstar

d

Uh yeah. I was agreeing with you.

bhowey

I have to cover my ink at my center. It is very "bible belt like" in my area. I have a buddy in New York that doesn't have to cover his. It is lame anyway. If someone cares that another person has tattoos then that person needs to get a life.

bellesotico

BOXstar
I have to cover my ink at my center. It is very "bible belt like" in my area. I have a buddy in New York that doesn't have to cover his. It is lame anyway. If someone cares that another person has tattoos then that person needs to get a life.

I understand that getting tattoos is a personal choice. I have one myself. But what I think that people need to realize..and granted this is only my opinion, not everyone feels the same way about tattoos, or body piercings, long hair, etc. UPS provides a service, and so it is a reasonable expectation for UPS to want to take a "uniform" approach as to the employees making direct contact with the customers. It may suck..but you can't think about yourself and your preferences. In any customer service job, you aren't there for YOU. You have to be there for the customer. :)

Is it really that big of a deal to cover your tats for 8 or 9 hours and get paid?