Tattoos

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
It is the same (by degrees) as hairstyle, piercings, fingernails, jewelry - it is a personal choice on how one wants to present oneself.

UPS does have the right to dictate the above when it is visible when they control the image presented to the public.

A tattoo can be anywhere from simple decoration to a statement, personal or public. Someone may have a name tattoo of a lost loved one, to show the world that this person has not been forgotten.
I know what a tattoo is, BBAG, the thing I'm asking is, why? You obviously don't have any, as you sound as though you copied that post from wikipedia.

Sorry for sounding a bit strong. I've grown to like upstate, and I was offended by your comment.

That's weird because, with all of your different screen names and personas, the fact that you are :*******: has remained the only constant.
Touché!

jennie

Now NY, I know you don't have an anus tattoo! As for all the body art on some, whatever your INTO. I just believe that I would not want my three boys to get tattoos all over their neck and places where it will prevent them from going further in life. (you never have a second chance to make a first impression) I know some people that complain they are so broke but show up with new tattoos, so explain that one?

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Nobody is preaching. I was just asking, what is the big deal and why are so many people getting tattoo's? Sorry if I "got under your skin", pun intended. I'm not judging you, as that is up to the one that made you, who, I believe, was content with what He had created. No soapbox, just a man that doesn't understand the attraction.

Now mind you, I'm not looking for an internet fist fight, or a verbal sparring, if you will. I just asked a question, and am awaiting an honest answer.
come on man,,,why?? because i like them. there you go..silly question really

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
I know what a tattoo is, BBAG, the thing I'm asking is, why? You obviously don't have any, as you sound as though you copied that post from wikipedia.

Sorry for sounding a bit strong. I've grown to like upstate, and I was offended by your comment.

Touché!

I didn't tell you what a tattoo was, I TOLD YOU WHY. I think the rest of your reply was an unintended compliment, but thanks, I wrote it myself. And yes, I do have artwork.

As for UpState, I'm happy for you & your relationship with him. I'm quite sure he can take care of himself by posting more meaningless jabs at any available opportunity when he feels like it. Or maybe correcting spelling or something, you know.....

(In tears laughing, #28)

partykid

UPS wants this doc. of tattoos so if you buck them, they can FOLLOW you, video you, fire you an NO questions asked!!!! Jus my thought

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Now NY, I know you don't have an anus tattoo! As for all the body art on some, whatever your INTO. I just believe that I would not want my three boys to get tattoos all over their neck and places where it will prevent them from going further in life. (you never have a second chance to make a first impression) I know some people that complain they are so broke but show up with new tattoos, so explain that one?
Good point.

come on man,,,why?? because i like them. there you go..silly question really
Because you like them? How about expanding on that one. Why do you like them? What makes them appealing to you? What made you get the first one? Just curious here, and wanting to know these things from your point of view.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Maybe they just want an updated count of how many gang members work for UPS and which gang they are affiliated with. Sounds crazy? You never know what they want to do with this information.

bluehdmc

STUG, I respect most of what you say. If you don't like tattoos thats fine. I have a couple, I feel they are in good taste. They are not visible when I'm working, (they're above elbows). My son is 29 and has both his arms covered, I don't care for that much ink, but that's his business. One thing about a tatto, it's basically forever.
I do have a question, do you have an earring?
A lot of guys do, there's something in the guidelines about them also. I don't have any myself, never have, just didn't. If someone want's to have an earring ( or 2 or more). It's there business, again as long as it's in good taste. Some of what some people do is beyond me, but I guess it's their "statement" and some may regret them someday.
I think if I was handed a form to fill out regarding tattoos, I might just put, "2 on right upper arm, 1 on left upper arm" and leave it at that. I dont' think anything more is any of their business. If they want it for "identification" purposes, I'd ask if they want me to list any scars.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
STUG, I respect most of what you say. If you don't like tattoos thats fine. I have a couple, I feel they are in good taste. They are not visible when I'm working, (they're above elbows). My son is 29 and has both his arms covered, I don't care for that much ink, but that's his business. One thing about a tatto, it's basically forever.
I do have a question, do you have an earring?
A lot of guys do, there's something in the guidelines about them also. I don't have any myself, never have, just didn't. If someone want's to have an earring ( or 2 or more). It's there business, again as long as it's in good taste. Some of what some people do is beyond me, but I guess it's their "statement" and some may regret them someday.
Very well said, blue. No earrings here. I'm not much into anything really. No cell phone, watch or jewelry. I'm almost Amish, you may say, LOL. Not trying to comdemn anyone for what they've chosen to do, was just wondering why they chose what they chose. Thanks for your informative post.

Comparing tattoos with drugs and driving records is ridiculous. To my knowledge having a tattoo never cause anyone to have an accident that kills anyone. The same sure can not be said about drug use or people with crappy driving records.

If this new policy os as staed here, it's probably because some manager figures it will make enforcing the tattoo policy easier.
I can't wait till they ask me to sign anything about whether I have tats or not..

Browngoneblue

Re: How does UPS feel about tattoos??

I say: show off that ink, it might build business and you could get paid a sales lead. I am sure the suit that will be telling you what do has a few on the canvas, too. If your concerned get past the probation period then show off the colors!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We have a driver who was hired with a visible tat on his forearm and it was overlooked for about 15 years before management came to him one day and told him he had to start wearing a long sleeved shirt. He filed a grievance and won, so his tat is "grandfathered" in although he cannot get any more that are visible. New hires are now informed, in writing, of the no-visible-tat rule so there are no misunderstandings. I dont have a problem with a no visible tat rule, but it should not be retroactive.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have tats and as far as I am concerned the company can stuff it if they ask me what and where they are. None of their business. My tats are never visible at work. I am fully aware of what the guidelines are and if I were to get a tat that is direct conflict with those guidelines then I deserve what I get. On the other hand, we have several drivers that do have visible tats. Not one word has ever been said.

I also have 2 earrings in each ear. This is in violation of policy. And to this day no one has ever said one word to me about it. We have men that have earrings. Again, nothing has ever been said.

We have a driver that had a tat that ran around his calf, about half way between his ankle and his knee. He had it when they hired him, no mention of tat when hired. After about 6 years he was told he had to keep it covered. Being one of those morons that wears shorts all year long, he tried long socks, an ace bandage and eventually started wearing long pants. Eventually he had the laser removal done and now has a very ugly scar in place of the tat. To be honest, the scar looks much worse than the tat did. I don't know if he didn't want to fight it or if the union didn't want to.

UPSNewbie

I have tats and as far as I am concerned the company can stuff it if they ask me what and where they are. None of their business. My tats are never visible at work. I am fully aware of what the guidelines are and if I were to get a tat that is direct conflict with those guidelines then I deserve what I get. On the other hand, we have several drivers that do have visible tats. Not one word has ever been said.

I also have 2 earrings in each ear. This is in violation of policy. And to this day no one has ever said one word to me about it. We have men that have earrings. Again, nothing has ever been said.

Expect a warning letter in 3-5 days. :funny: