Teamcare

Foamer Pyle

It isn't the union driving the costs up it the regulations they have here and don't have them in other countries
Don't know why you went on a rant about Hostess? They have nothing to do with the airlines or the auto industry. Guess what? When someone else can produce a higher quality product for less, people will buy it. Huge wages and poor automation ruined the auto industry, not regulations. The UAW made it impossible for U.S. Auto makers to compete against the Asians.

We won't agree on this, so it's pointless. Bottom line is, we have non union competition that is growing faster than we are, and they are doing the same job for less. Sooner or later, we will price ourself out of work, unless smarter minds prevail. Keep telling yourself that it cannot happen to us. I am sure that is the same thing that every other person said before, and are now out of work or had to take a huge concession to keep their job.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Last edited by a moderator:

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
The us auto industry took itself out. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and hell even Volkswagen were putting out a far superior product. GM and Ford were putting out the exact same POS vehicles across all their makes and models and the only real difference was in the name. Maybe a touch larger bore in the cylinder walls. You can throw the airlines in there as well. It's naive to blame the unions for the trouble when there was high inflation, the oil crisis of the 70's, reduced productivity, low economic growth, and piss poor expectations from investors and owner/managers. I have zero issue with the unions being part of the problem, but to base your argument that the unions were the main culprit is mind boggling. The unions are the perfect fall guy for companies to slash their costs. The odd thing is, unions and company managers used to work together to keep each other from getting too big. Somehow an us vs. them mentality came to the forefront. You can't honestly say that UPS wouldn't :censored2: on their employees the moment the union was voted out...look at how they treat their management.

WESLA

It is what it is
Here you go, in case you are to young to remember. The steel industry in this country was union, and is all but gone. The auto industry, airlines, and most other manufacturing jobs. You see, it is possible to get to a point where you over value your employment. All of those industries were profitable, and I am sure the employees wanted more, and more, and more. It is ignorant to say that just because a company makes a profit, everyone deserves a raise.
History is on my side on this one. If you don't believe that the same thing that happened to those other industries, could not happen to ours, you are a fool. Greed will kill you every time.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Yes, NAFTA had nothing to do with jobs being shipped over seas, it's all the unions fault.

Really though, the same greed you talk about the unions carrying, is the same greed that carried jobs over seas by mindless corporations.

Stonefish

Don't know why you went on a rant about Hostess? They have nothing to do with the airlines or the auto industry. Guess what? When someone else can produce a higher quality product for less, people will buy it. Huge wages and poor automation ruined the auto industry, not regulations. The UAW made it impossible for U.S. Auto makers to compete against the Japs.

We won't agree on this, so it's pointless. Bottom line is, we have non union competition that is growing faster than we are, and they are doing the same job for less. Sooner or later, we will price ourself out of work, unless smarter minds prevail. Keep telling yourself that it cannot happen to us. I am sure that is the same thing that every other person said before, and are now out of work or had to take a huge concession to keep their job.

Sent using BrownCafe App
How many non union airlines went out of business? Way more than union just in case you don't know the answer. Can't blame unions for that.
You blame the UAW. How about the management that agreed to those high wages and didn't move towards automation? Your funny the employer didn't negotiate to or make changes to benefit their business and it's the unions fault. How is it that UPS is successful in negotiations to keep growing the business and making a profit? Actually record profits.
Non union competition gets paid way less and they do way perform the same amount of work as a UPS union employee does.

Stonefish

How many non union airlines went out of business? Way more than union just in case you don't know the answer. Can't blame unions for that.
You blame the UAW. How about the management that agreed to those high wages and didn't move towards automation? Your funny the employer didn't negotiate to or make changes to benefit their business and it's the unions fault. How is it that UPS is successful in negotiations to keep growing the business and making a profit? Actually record profits.
Non union competition gets paid way less and they do way perform the same amount of work as a UPS union employee does.
What I meant to say was non union competition gets paid way less and they do not perform the same amount of work as a UPS union employee.

Sorry for the terrible grammar very busy.

Stonefish

Not surprised to see an anti union article from a person like you. No one held the auto industry hostage. The unions can't stop a company from mismanaging or from reinvesting in their investment. There are thousands of union employers that are successful because they know how to manage the business which by the way includes negotiations and not agreeing to something they can't afford.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
This could quite possibly be the most unbalanced and very narrow viewed article I've ever read. I mean to say he wrote this while listening to Limbaugh and watching Fox News simultaneously. It's baffling to me that he could quote over and over again the crappy quality of the passenger vehicles being built and the Big 3's focus on minivans, SUV's, and trucks which were profit monsters for them and still have the gall to blame it all on the unions. Between wars, 9/11, and the companies inability to change with the coming times destroyed the automakers. The Big 3 happily agreed to those contracts because they were making money hand over fist when trucks, suv's, and minivans were all over the road. I just can't...for the life of me...sheesh...and I'm conservative to boot! Even I'm not that blind!

Tiredups

I'd like to add to this thread as a reply to all those that argued for teamcare. My husband had a seizure. Could no longer drive for ups. The teamsters did NOTHING to help him. They advised him not to seek a reasonable accommodation under federal law. He thankfully listened to me. The union said he'd be back to driving, just wait. 5 year ban. At least due to the ada, he was given a part time job in a different building that had more hours available. Teamsters told him he couldn't do that. Human resources stepped up. Supervisors took care of him and are getting him more hours. Other teamsters fought to block him from getting full time. There were none available, but they would have tried it. He's been with the company 25 years. I don't trust the teamsters. Then we get our new teamcare benefits. Ugh. Yes. Lower copays. Yes. Lower scripts. Maybe. For those of us who cannot get 90 days on our scripts, we pay 50% I have an incurable disease that's hideously painful. My pain meds were 50 a month. Now, they're 600! And because I have an incurable disease, the procedures that I was having for free 4x a year to burn nerves and reduce my pain to where I'm no longer bedridden - no longer covered since it's maintenance care. My hus band was part time before and the coverage was even better than his ft. Our meds were 10 a month instead of 50. Teamcare sucks for some of us. It will bankrupt some of us or cause us to be in excruciating pain. We visits when they send me to see if my aneurysm has ruptured, was 75. Now, I pay 20% up to 2000. We have locals for a reason and some of us got screwed. Forcing teamcare on all, seriously has ruined my quality of life. My husband works his butt off and can't get another job because of his seizure, so we do have to make it work on his pt job and mine. And now, he must also be upset that his wife is suffering to help fund the central teamsters.

The Milkman

I'd like to add to this thread as a reply to all those that argued for teamcare. My husband had a seizure. Could no longer drive for ups. The teamsters did NOTHING to help him. They advised him not to seek a reasonable accommodation under federal law. He thankfully listened to me. The union said he'd be back to driving, just wait. 5 year ban. At least due to the ada, he was given a part time job in a different building that had more hours available. Teamsters told him he couldn't do that. Human resources stepped up. Supervisors took care of him and are getting him more hours. Other teamsters fought to block him from getting full time. There were none available, but they would have tried it. He's been with the company 25 years. I don't trust the teamsters. Then we get our new teamcare benefits. Ugh. Yes. Lower copays. Yes. Lower scripts. Maybe. For those of us who cannot get 90 days on our scripts, we pay 50% I have an incurable disease that's hideously painful. My pain meds were 50 a month. Now, they're 600! And because I have an incurable disease, the procedures that I was having for free 4x a year to burn nerves and reduce my pain to where I'm no longer bedridden - no longer covered since it's maintenance care. My hus band was part time before and the coverage was even better than his ft. Our meds were 10 a month instead of 50. Teamcare sucks for some of us. It will bankrupt some of us or cause us to be in excruciating pain. We visits when they send me to see if my aneurysm has ruptured, was 75. Now, I pay 20% up to 2000. We have locals for a reason and some of us got screwed. Forcing teamcare on all, seriously has ruined my quality of life. My husband works his butt off and can't get another job because of his seizure, so we do have to make it work on his pt job and mine. And now, he must also be upset that his wife is suffering to help fund the central teamsters.

I hear you loud and clear. The costs went up for everyone. Why would anyone want to vote to pay more in the long run. I do not belong to Teamcare but my costs have gone up quite a bit since the last contract, eating into my net pension ck every month and it is only going to get worse. Nothing like working for a Global Giant for 25-35 years with great benefits , only to have them slowly start to erode contract after contract. The rookies today will have a lot less if anything by the time they retire, when that time comes, they could look back at those before them that made the decision to vote for the cuts they will face, just like the ones we are now dealing with

Atomic_Smurf

I hear you loud and clear. The costs went up for everyone. Why would anyone want to vote to pay more in the long run. I do not belong to Teamcare but my costs have gone up quite a bit since the last contract, eating into my net pension ck every month and it is only going to get worse. Nothing like working for a Global Giant for 25-35 years with great benefits , only to have them slowly start to erode contract after contract. The rookies today will have a lot less if anything by the time they retire, when that time comes, they could look back at those before them that made the decision to vote for the cuts they will face, just like the ones we are now dealing with
The ACA artificially inflates Health Insurance Premiums with every open enrollment period . It's a hidden tax collected through the big insurance companies who supported the law in exchange for a guaranteed 20% annual profit margin. It's just worth remembering WHY our benefits are being cut. The burden of providing free health insurance & susibies to the non-working Democrat voter base has been laid on the working class by the very people our own union proudly endorsed.