Teamsters voice anger with pension trustee

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
no comment on this article, huh? i didnt expect one.... see, you like unions and thats fine with me. i like the right to work laws because, hey, i dont think we should all be forced to pay dues. and personally, im the type of guy that thinks we should all have the right to choose what we do and dont want to do. i dont know, call me old fashioned....

as i said before, i am a dues paying member of my local and have been for quite some time. but i feel that the RTW laws force the union reps to actually try and work for their members. how, you might ask? well, if im guaranteed money from everyone that works for me then i have no real incentive to do anything for them..,..after all, they have to pay me no matter my performance (kind of like congress.) however, if i have to earn someones trust and convince them to pay their hard earned money and dues to me when the law doesnt require it, i better work for those members in a way that earns their support and ultimately makes them want to join a union.

Wanna be feeder driver.

its very interesting that a post suggesting joining/not joining a union as a choice is twisted into the choice being about sexual orientation. you are unable to make a reasonable justification for big union lies that you are fed and survive on so you try and call the other poster gay. or, you are the type that thinks by calling others gay your own homosexual tendencies will be better hidden. its cool, brother. i wont tell anyone your secret

His wife....

Speaking on his behalf.

-Bug-

10 point

@BigUnionGuy ,
In your early years, had you ever been subjected to dishonest representation by a business agent that you were "stuck" with?

The effects are far reaching and cloud your total perspective of the union (or unions) as a whole. You fail to trust any leadership the BA supports. You get bitter. And then an IRB federal report surfaces like the one did this fall it's pretty much a given that you will believe the abuses are true because of how you've been treated locally.

Some folks may have wrong ideas but for right reasons.

I don't think most folks on here really understand honest member's frustration.

People that gripe about our raises and pay need to get a clue. Griping that a 70¢/hr raise is substandard is total
:bsbullf:.

Griping about dishonesty and total lack of communication from your leadership is valid and the issue affects many and their perception. I don't disagree with their feelings.

Holydriver

So the mindset is:

If you don't get your money's worth (realistically)...

And,
You can't vote them out of office...

Then,
Quit paying for what you feel that you don't get?

Hmmmm
I guess so. Consider this...there are seasonal helpers and such being charged union dues for a union/employer that will cut their employment ASAP. How is that justified

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

no comment on this article, huh? i didnt expect one.... see, you like unions and thats fine with me. i like the right to work laws because, hey, i dont think we should all be forced to pay dues. and personally, im the type of guy that thinks we should all have the right to choose what we do and dont want to do. i dont know, call me old fashioned....

as i said before, i am a dues paying member of my local and have been for quite some time. but i feel that the RTW laws force the union reps to actually try and work for their members. how, you might ask? well, if im guaranteed money from everyone that works for me then i have no real incentive to do anything for them..,..after all, they have to pay me no matter my performance (kind of like congress.) however, if i have to earn someones trust and convince them to pay their hard earned money and dues to me when the law doesnt require it, i better work for those members in a way that earns their support and ultimately makes them want to join a union.
People who don't pay dues and enjoy the benefits that dues paying members provide for them are scabs

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Will you post facts to back up your assessment of the slate's personnel?

Never posting a reasonable and researchable rebuttal of the assertions with facts that the other slate's members are running for reasons other than that they believe the IBT could be run better than it is like watching shadow boxing on TV.

I always respect proven and provable facts when I have to make decisions.

Can you help us out?

I don't think anyone's opinion, could be construed as "fact". (let alone mine)

But, my opinion is based on personal interaction and assessment of their actions.

I'm sure you want something more concrete.... but it is, what it is.

Take it for what it's worth.

-Bug-

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Interesting.

Too bad, he was just regurgitating someone else's thought.

"The highest form of knowledge, according to George Eliot, is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding."

But, "food for thought" none the less.

I have no empathy.... for Tim S. and teamsters united slate. :biggrin:

-Bug-

10 point

I don't think anyone's opinion, could be construed as "fact". (let alone mine)

But, my opinion is based on personal interaction and assessment of their actions.

I'm sure you want something more concrete.... but it is, what it is.

Take it for what it's worth.

-Bug-
We don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water.
And we are for sure not lemmings (as far as our opinion pertains to these issues) to cry about small issues just to be crying.

I and others respect those that have "been there" longer than we have.

We're just asking to have dots connected in a tangible way so we can understand other's views and seasoned opinions.

We know what happened in the last CBA due to limited and withheld information.

No points were gained for H offa/Hall in many locals due to that.

I think the only common thread some have ascertained from that issue is a lack of trust and that's really not our fault....as far as we can see.

We're looking to the future to see what this current leadership is projecting and with union membership numbers shrinking the IBT as a whole has got to get on the same page and move forward together or else the writing on the wall is plain to read.

Holydriver

People who don't pay dues and enjoy the benefits that dues paying members provide for them are scabs
Call them scabs allnyou want. I don't mind. But I still agree that they shouldn't be forced to pay dues and UPS/ibt can always make the scabs agree to not get the protection of the unions. They legally can deny non paying members the protections of the union

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Call them scabs allnyou want. I don't mind. But I still agree that they shouldn't be forced to pay dues and UPS/ibt can always make the scabs agree to not get the protection of the unions. They legally can deny non paying members the protections of the union
when did that change......I think your wrong......the union can't deny protections to non paying members

Brown Spider

You're wrong...in so many ways. The Union has a duty of fair representation and is required to represent ALL members of the bargaining unit. The Department of Labor would not take kindly to the Union failing to do so. Of course, you can do the honorable thing and just fall on your sword when UPS comes after you. Believe me, your co-workers aren't thrilled with the prospect of footing the tab for your representation.

Holydriver

You're wrong...in so many ways. The Union has a duty of fair representation and is required to represent ALL members of the bargaining unit. The Department of Labor would not take kindly to the Union failing to do so. Of course, you can do the honorable thing and just fall on your sword when UPS comes after you. Believe me, your co-workers aren't thrilled with the prospect of footing the tab for your representation.
when did that change......I think your wrong......the union can't deny protections to non paying members
Since when ?

-Bug-

Since the national labor relations act allows unions to create member-only contracts.

Holydriver

T

the short of it. You are to be treated EXACTLY like a paying dues member even if you don't pay.
my point is this. the NLRA allows unions to draft members-only contracts in RTW states. just to clarify, I PAY MY :censored2:ING DUES, but it kills me to think that people like bernie sandesrs and hillary clinton get so much money from all these union dues that i pay. ive been asleep a lifetime just to wake in time to find the voice that has been speaking for me is no voice of mine..

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
my point is this. the NLRA allows unions to draft members-only contracts in RTW states. just to clarify, I PAY MY :censored2:ING DUES, but it kills me to think that people like bernie sandesrs and hillary clinton get so much money from all these union dues that i pay. ive been asleep a lifetime just to wake in time to find the voice that has been speaking for me is no voice of mine..
They are considered members.

I agree with the premise of RTW. I don't think anyone should be forced to pay dues but you also shouldn't get the benefits.