New York Teamsters approve slashing benefits to retired members

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You would think those already retired would be grandfathered in and any cuts would be for the future.

.... you would think.

This is why you should refrain from commenting on that with which you are unfamiliar.

Actives have already diverted portions of their split raises on two occasions to try to salvage our pension. This is why there are two different percentages (18% for actives and 29% for retirees).

Over disciplined0123

The pensions UPS has taken over are in better shape than union plans. Doesn't mean I trust them but the union plans were seriously mismanaged.

401k is great for new employees but not for those who already have years invested in a pension plan. They didn't even exist when most members now getting close to retirement started.
It happens all the time with large corporations they take over the pension plan and then they do away with it

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I’ve always hated this job and had opportunities to leave but stayed because of the good pension almost 30 years and now I’m gonna get screwed

18%, while not ideal, is not that bad.

Those who have it bad are the retirees who have already lost 50% of their pensions due to divorce and will now be losing 29% of their half. That sucks.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
30 years in and you don't have anything in your 401k????

2 kids and 1 divorce, in which she got half of the balance at that time (1998), and I will have between $225-250K in mine when I retire next summer.
I just checked my 401k today - $861,000.
I started in 1991 and by 1995 was putting in the maximum per year.
One daughter and 1 grandson which I help to support - ex-husband is a selfish creep.
1 marriage of 44 years.

rod

Retired 22 years
30 years in and you don't have anything in your 401k????

2 kids and 1 divorce, in which she got half of the balance at that time (1998), and I will have Youbetween $225-250K in mine when I retire next summer.
You're going to starve.
That isn't enough to retire on.