Telematics and management; ten years from now....

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
If most people at the company feel they are being overworked and undervalued, maybe they are.

I felt that way in package. I would say most of the people I know in package feel the same way.

I'll admit, using "argumentum ad populum" may not be fair. But "it is what it is". Sometimes perception is all that matters.

As for why people stay at the company even if they don't really want to: I don't see too many people bitching that they are not being paid enough:wink2:.

Well, maybe except for part-timers and I would have to agree with them.

JustTired

free at last.......
Sober I don't know why you insist on telling a management person how the management planning process works. its your center teams plan. They can make it and put many variables into the plan. At some point as pretzel said its locked down and they have to live with what they planned.

Does that lockdown occur with the center teams plan or is it ammended by someone before the "lockdown"?

If it's the former, I'm guessing ( and it is just a guess) that the conversation would go something like this:
"We show a plan of 30 routes.....but will give you the 32 you've requested. But the numbers better be there or there will be hell to pay."

Now, you've got the center team second guessing themselves and basically scared to go out on a limb like that whether right or wrong. I can't imagine some of my earlier CMs putting up with running around being scared for their jobs. Maybe that's why they retired when they did.

If your going to give someone the title of "manager", then let them manage. Otherwise change their job title to reflect their real position. That way there won't be any unrealistic expectations from those below.

pretzel_man

Does that lockdown occur with the center teams plan or is it ammended by someone before the "lockdown"?

If it's the former, I'm guessing ( and it is just a guess) that the conversation would go something like this:
"We show a plan of 30 routes.....but will give you the 32 you've requested. But the numbers better be there or there will be hell to pay."

Now, you've got the center team second guessing themselves and basically scared to go out on a limb like that whether right or wrong. I can't imagine some of my earlier CMs putting up with running around being scared for their jobs. Maybe that's why they retired when they did.

If your going to give someone the title of "manager", then let them manage. Otherwise change their job title to reflect their real position. That way there won't be any unrealistic expectations from those below.

I've seen this 100's of times. Here is what happens and I have been on both ends of this conversation....

I.E. and Operations put together a plan jointly. The plan is owned by the operator. Its their plan. A lot of effort goes into this.

As I said before, I.E. inputs the information into PKG, up to one month before the operation. After that, only the operator can adjust the plan. Generally, no I.E. edits the DPS plan. Again, this is the operators plan.

Now, the operator is asked why the plan has x number of cars instead of y. Why is the stops per car what it is. Rather than saying its their plan, the easy answer is that I.E. won't let me do what is best.

Do you really think that the I.E. manager will not allow a plan to be used that reduces cost? Of course, they will challenge the logic of the change, and that is appropriate.

Lets prove it. Go ask the package division manager if he/she disagrees with the number of cars being put on road for the day. Ask if he/she disagrees with the stops per car or planned performance. See if the answer is that I.E. won't let him/her plan their operation.

I've asked that question before. I'm waiting for the first one to say the plan is wrong. Just last week, I had plans adjusted because they could be improved. Just took a couple of phone calls.

P-Man

tourists24

Lets prove it. Go ask the package division manager if he/she disagrees with the number of cars being put on road for the day. Ask if he/she disagrees with the stops per car or planned performance. See if the answer is that I.E. won't let him/her plan their operation.

P-Man
Ive heard several center managers say this though. Will have to try this on the DM. Of course, even the DM isnt on the front lines, so he only lives by the numbers and reports also. Reports show numbers,,, front lines show the reality