Telematics and the 111 foot driveway

Treegrower

I would think sober has a good working relationship with the people at this stop and they would be more than happy to give him a hand with over 70s if he asks.

Yeah, I know, the contract says UPS is supposed to send help for over 70s, but how many of us have the time to sit and wait for another bargaining unit employee to make his way over to help us? We either ask for help or "man up" and take care of it ourselves.

I do. I have the time. Just like I have the time for my full lunch and breaks everyday.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I do. I have the time. Just like I have the time for my full lunch and breaks everyday.

Treehugger, I also have time for my full lunch and breaks every day. What I don't have time for is waiting for another driver to break off from his area or for my mgt team to send help when help is available at the stop, whether it be delivery or pickup. However, help is not always available so another method is to use existing tools or equipment to assist in the lift/lower. I had a 145 lb treadmill that I had to move from the PC to the consignee's front door, a distance of less than 25'. I positioned the handcart on the rear bumper, maneuvered and then lowered the treadmill on to the handcart, wheeled the cart to the door, and then reversed the process. I offered to bring it inside for her, which she wanted, so I walked it in to the house, set it on the floor and then left. Less than 5 minutes from the time I pulled up to the time I left. Had I sat there and waited for help it could have easily been 30-45 minutes. 30-45 minutes and I can finish a section of resi's. I know, you are going to say that is easy OT, but there is more to life than money. Work smarter, not harder.

over9five

Staff member
But.....

If you had broken the ladies door, or

dinged up her walls, or

dropped it on her foot, or

hurt your back....

Your management team would blame YOU, and ask why you didn't request help like you're allowed to.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Sober

Nice job, thanks for answering my question, have a good day, should be the next statement from management after the question they asked. I am sure 99% of the time this is what happens.

trickpony1

Innerstate-
"Man up" one too many times, blow out a disc and see if the company "mans up" and comes to your assistance when you file comp on your injury.

pretzel_man

Took the words right outah my mouth!!! There is no trust at this company,they hire us,train us,then have no faith in what they taught us !!!!

Seems the system could be a valuable tool if some common sense were added in.

I hear you loud and clear Upstate and it might be a little reaching but so is this supervisor asking this 23 year safety asset to our company about why he backed 111 feet to a stop. We are paid a good wage and have to all make hundreds of judgement calls everyday and 99% of the time they are the correct one.

Once again.... Not all drivers are as good as you all...

When I first heard about Telematics, I thought it may be a good tool for automotive, but not for operations. I figured drivers already didn't back. Already wore their seat belt. Already stayed on area.

Telematics sites have seen great improvements in all areas. The amount of discipline has been very small. As Brownie said, its generally just a conversation.

Yes, it can seem like nagging. In the hands of a poor management, it can be an annoying pain in the rear. I understand that, but that it generally not the case.

Ask your supervisor to show you the Telematics system and how a virtual OJS works. I'll bet you will be impressed. This is a world class system and a great tool.

P-Man

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Is this a daily pickup? If so how many packages do you pickup? If it is not daily pick up or you only pick up a couple of packages each day then you should not have back up.

Back to the telemactics part. If the GPS system isn't picking up 3 satellites then the data it's putting out is garbage.

It makes not one whit of difference if this is a daily pickup or not. And it makes no difference whatsoever if it is one piece or 100 pieces. That one piece maybe 100 lbs.:biting:

dupa

On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation.
Question---------------if you roll back without using reverse, is this counted as backing?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Its a business.

Some days they ship out one package. Other days, they ship out 10 or 15. Once or twice a week they ship an over 70.

The driveway I am backed into is off of an alley, which is off of the main road. I have to back into there in order to turn around.

In this situation, there is no alternative but to back up.
You pointed out a couple of things that I skipped over. 72 doesn't have a clue.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I would think sober has a good working relationship with the people at this stop and they would be more than happy to give him a hand with over 70s if he asks.

Yeah, I know, the contract says UPS is supposed to send help for over 70s, but how many of us have the time to sit and wait for another bargaining unit employee to make his way over to help us? We either ask for help or "man up" and take care of it ourselves.
Or woman up. LOL I get help from customers when I need it. In some cases I have not delivered over 70's until I get help.

pretzel_man

Question---------------if you roll back without using reverse, is this counted as backing?

You are not the first person to think of this.... Yes, if you roll back without putting the car in reverse, you likely won't not be counted. It checks your reverse light to see if you backed.

P-Man

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
As I have stated in the past, The Union does not recognize telematics for discipline, due to its inaccuracies. This is but one example of the many, many flaws the system has. I agree with P-Man, when used proper;y telematics is a valuable tool. Not for discipline.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
As I have stated in the past, The Union does not recognize telematics for discipline, due to its inaccuracies. This is but one example of the many, many flaws the system has. I agree with P-Man, when used proper;y telematics is a valuable tool. Not for discipline.

The tool is only as good as the person who wields it.

My frustration is not with the tool, but the manner in which it is being used.

It is frustrating and demoralizing to be placed in a position of constant, daily conflict with one's supervisor over what amounts to irrelevant data.

We are wasting huge amounts of time, effort, energy and paper to debate trivia.

The company is choosing to pole-vault over mouse turds. I would prefer to just step over them instead.

sealbasher

Its a business.

Some days they ship out one package. Other days, they ship out 10 or 15. Once or twice a week they ship an over 70.

The driveway I am backed into is off of an alley, which is off of the main road. I have to back into there in order to turn around.

In this situation, there is no alternative but to back up.

i have no choice when it comes to backing,got a p1200 and theres lots of backing done

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
It was my understanding that when this tool came out, it was expressly for the maintenance of the vehicle. And UPS is going banana sandwich over going paperless, yet they print reams and reams of paper with these telematics reports. I don't mind UPS doing what they can to get efficient, but man it blows to be micro managed. And I don't like the double standard on wanting to go paperless yet printing out reams of reports that they can just send to our DIAD's. I'm sure the tech is there and it just needs to be implemented once to make it as easy to push the print screen key. I'm not the least bit surprised though.

Dragon

Package Center Manager

but it does give us a reason to go do an observation.