Telematics and the 111 foot driveway

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Your right, you have figured it out.

We only look busy until 10am.

From 10am - 2pm we go do "observations"

Tee off time is 2:15pm not much time left over for some silly little warning letters. We got bigger things to worry about, like who is buying the first round! :wink2:

tourists24

Your right, you have figured it out.

We only look busy until 10am.

From 10am - 2pm we go do "observations"

Tee off time is 2:15pm not much time left over for some silly little warning letters. We got bigger things to worry about, like who is buying the first round! :wink2:
I knew it.... thanks for letting the cat outta the bag

SWORDFISH

Once again.... Not all drivers are as good as you all...

When I first heard about Telematics, I thought it may be a good tool for automotive, but not for operations. I figured drivers already didn't back. Already wore their seat belt. Already stayed on area.

Telematics sites have seen great improvements in all areas. The amount of discipline has been very small. As Brownie said, its generally just a conversation.

Yes, it can seem like nagging. In the hands of a poor management, it can be an annoying pain in the rear. I understand that, but that it generally not the case.

Ask your supervisor to show you the Telematics system and how a virtual OJS works. I'll bet you will be impressed. This is a world class system and a great tool.

P-Man

It depends on what center your speaking of. Some may reflect the results you speak of and then thier is centers like mine where they are not polite and they just dont ask. They accuse, attack, punish, and fire(I believe there has been about 12 firings in a medium center and all got thier jobs back). P-man I hope your creating the environment you speak of and if so we need more like you. I do have to say it has settled down a bit lately wich is kinda nice for all.

Treegrower

Treehugger, I also have time for my full lunch and breaks every day. What I don't have time for is waiting for another driver to break off from his area or for my mgt team to send help when help is available at the stop, whether it be delivery or pickup. However, help is not always available so another method is to use existing tools or equipment to assist in the lift/lower. I had a 145 lb treadmill that I had to move from the PC to the consignee's front door, a distance of less than 25'. I positioned the handcart on the rear bumper, maneuvered and then lowered the treadmill on to the handcart, wheeled the cart to the door, and then reversed the process. I offered to bring it inside for her, which she wanted, so I walked it in to the house, set it on the floor and then left. Less than 5 minutes from the time I pulled up to the time I left. Had I sat there and waited for help it could have easily been 30-45 minutes. 30-45 minutes and I can finish a section of resi's. I know, you are going to say that is easy OT, but there is more to life than money. Work smarter, not harder.
To qoute you directly " yawn"

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Trust me UpState, blowing out a disc is nothing to yawn at, specially if it happens to you. It only takes on little mistake to hurt yourself. The way things are going these days, one sure can not count on the company to do the right thing by an injured employee.
C'mon Trplnkl, you know UpState is Superman. Unless the package contains kryptonite, he's got no worries.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
What's the matter, Bubbles? Couldn't hang with Tie?
Not sure what you mean, but my take is this. Both of you are ego-maniacal ******* that argue yourselves into a corner till you're all alone with your ill conceived notions. At this point Tie rolls out a grade school arguement equivalent to "I know you are but what am I". You on the other hand resort to an equally juvenile "whatever" or "yawn" when you're bested. You have both ordained yourselves as martyrs for the unpopular hard line and in the process type cast yourselves as goof balls. Somehow in the midst of this psychosis, you both seem to think you won something. Congrats, it certainly isn't the adulation of an adoring fan base of any size or signicance.

tieguy

Banned
The tool is only as good as the person who wields it.

My frustration is not with the tool, but the manner in which it is being used.

It is frustrating and demoralizing to be placed in a position of constant, daily conflict with one's supervisor over what amounts to irrelevant data.

We are wasting huge amounts of time, effort, energy and paper to debate trivia.

The company is choosing to pole-vault over mouse turds. I would prefer to just step over them instead.

Your bosses job is to make sure you're doing your job.

Since you raised the issue and the issue of alleged constant conflict why not follow through on this thread you started.

how did your boss react to the answer you provided. Was there this constant conflict you refer to or did he accept your answer and move on?

Did you ever have the sit down with your boss to get your questions answered?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
[how did your boss react to the answer you provided. Was there this constant conflict you refer to or did he accept your answer and move on?Did you ever have the sit down with your boss to get your questions answered?[/COLOR]

I explained that the data was in error, and my boss did accept my answer.

But the next day, there was a new report. And the day after that there was another one, and the day after that, etc etc.

If I went out tomorrow and beat the route by two hours, helped 4 other drivers get done, turned in 8 producing sales leads and saved a child from drowning....I would probably still show up on some report and have to explain why the bulkhead door didnt get latched when I moved the truck 15 feet.

By itself, showing up on a report and being questioned about it really isnt that big of a deal. But when it happens day after day after day it starts wearing on you. And the time and energy that are being expended would be better spent elsewhere.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Trust me UpState, blowing out a disc is nothing to yawn at, specially if it happens to you. It only takes on little mistake to hurt yourself. The way things are going these days, one sure can not count on the company to do the right thing by an injured employee.

I would bet the record shows that the amount of people injured while delivering Over 70's is minimal compared to all injuries. You tend to prepare yourself a little more for the heavy ones.

sano

Ever play organized sports? What you describe is a coach’s job. We could come in from a game where we won by a large margin and the next day coach was showing us film of where we could have done better. The only players that had a problem were the ones that thought they were better than the coach and too cocky to take any advice.
I am not commenting on your experience, but I see it in my building. Some guys get all bent out of shape when a manager talks to them about something on a report. This escalates the situation.

I would bet the record shows that the amount of people injured while delivering Over 70's is minimal compared to all injuries. You tend to prepare yourself a little more for the heavy ones.
I don't dispute what you have said, but it doesn't change the fact that when handling a heavy package, it doesn't take much of a mistake to make a huge difference in your life.

local804

I agree with you Sano but we are not talking about one report here. We are talking about reports that tell us about reports. We have a simple concept when we start our job. We get in the truck, deliver the packages in the order that your program tells us to in a timely manner, then we drive back to the building. The guess work was gone a long long time ago. The bottom line is we take a package from our truck and deliver it. We all worked the ranks of PT and/or the seniority chain to get to where we are but we deliver packages not make rocket ships.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You are probably right Monster, but you have to know that a back injury can be a career ender. As in Trp's case.

browniehound

I do. I have the time. Just like I have time for my full lunch and breaks everyday.

Thats just wonderful for you Treegrower, because I don't have time in my life for my full hour lunch and two ten minute breaks. Yes, I have to take them or lose out on about $65/day, but I certainly DON'T "have time for them". Do you?

Our lives are consumed enough by the work we do at UPS. I can't understand the mentality that you are happier than a pig in ssss to sit for almost 1.5 hours doing absolutely nothing. Why do you let the company or the teamsters pull the whool over your eyes? Its 7 hours a week of your life times 52 weeks that UPS takes from you every year. I hope you are very proud that you take this time doing nothing except sticking your finger at UPS, because while you are doing this they have their own finger exactly where you don't like it.

Go ahead and tell yourself you are "doing the right thing" by taking your hour and twenty, because thats exactly what UPS wants.

An hour and twenty just so the company doesn't have to pay OT for the last hour of your pick-ups? An hour and twenty so the company can gain that much in free labor from the lunch-runners.

Maybe the lunch-runners have something here. 7 hours a week is a ton of time to spend away from your toddler. Its precious time that can never be regained. Yet you and UPS will make you sit in an empty parking lot for an hour at the end of the night doing absolutely nothing just to get what is justly coming to you. This happens while Jr. is tucked into bed by a lonely wife.

Just gives us a 30 minute lunch and leave it at that like the rest of the blue-collar world. Why insist on the 1.33 hours of break? The company has telematics to prove where we are at every minute. Why not let us take the breaks we want to and dock us for it?

I'm sorry 7 hours/week multiplied by 52 is too many hours to be away from my family unnecessarily. I just want to get home to them and may believe that $45/hour is worth giving up to see them?

UPS is betting on this fact also, and it makes me sick!

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Thats just wonderful for you Treegrower, because I don't have time in my life for my full hour lunch and two ten minute breaks. Yes, I have to take them or lose out on about $65/day, but I certainly DON'T "have time for them". Do you?

Our lives are consumed enough by the work we do at UPS. I can't understand the mentality that you are happier than a pig in ssss to sit for almost 1.5 hours doing absolutely nothing. Why do you let the company or the teamsters pull the whool over your eyes? Its 7 hours a week of your life times 52 weeks that UPS takes from you every year. I hope you are very proud that you take this time doing nothing except sticking your finger at UPS, because while you are doing this they have their own finger exactly where you don't like it.

Go ahead and tell yourself you are "doing the right thing" by taking your hour and twenty, because thats exactly what UPS wants.

An hour and twenty just so the company doesn't have to pay OT for the last hour of your pick-ups? An hour and twenty so the company can gain that much in free labor from the lunch-runners.

Maybe the lunch-runners have something here. 7 hours a week is a ton of time to spend away from your toddler. Its precious time that can never be regained. Yet you and UPS will make you sit in an empty parking lot for an hour at the end of the night doing absolutely nothing just to get what is justly coming to you. This happens while Jr. is tucked into bed by a lonely wife.

Just gives us a 30 minute lunch and leave it at that like the rest of the blue-collar world. Why insist on the 1.33 hours of break? The company has telematics to prove where we are at every minute. Why not let us take the breaks we want to and dock us for it?

I'm sorry 7 hours/week multiplied by 52 is too many hours to be away from my family unnecessarily. I just want to get home to them and may believe that $45/hour is worth giving up to see them?

UPS is betting on this fact also, and it makes me sick!

You do realize that lunc hours are not only a UPS thing?

browniehound

You do realize that lunc hours are not only a UPS thing?

Of course I realize this but here is the MAJOR difference. Most blue-collar workers start at 7 and punch out at 3:30. Eight hours plus 1/2 hour lunch. The rest of the world may have a lunch hour, but I will bet you any amount of money that if they can't fit it into their work schedule (e.g. finishing business deliveries before pick-ups) the company doesn't make them sit idle at the end of the night.

Can you picture this in the "real" world? It would never happen except at UPS. Can you imagine an office worker sitting at his desk from 1800-1900 because he didn't get his lunch hour in because he was too busy? Its ridiculous.

And before anyone wants to bring it up, I don't want to play the game of "i'm going to miss 10 stops if you don't get them off my truck: just so I can have a lunch hour. Because if I send that message, I'm just going to screw one of my fellow workers doing a house-call route and I dont want to do this.

What I want is to do the route and just put in the time I take for lunch. Why can't it just be that simple? For the love GOD, I ask this question: why can't it be that simple?????

pretzel_man

Of course I realize this but here is the MAJOR difference. Most blue-collar workers start at 7 and punch out at 3:30. Eight hours plus 1/2 hour lunch. The rest of the world may have a lunch hour, but I will bet you any amount of money that if they can't fit it into their work schedule (e.g. finishing business deliveries before pick-ups) the company doesn't make them sit idle at the end of the night.

Can you picture this in the "real" world? It would never happen except at UPS. Can you imagine an office worker sitting at his desk from 1800-1900 because he didn't get his lunch hour in because he was too busy? Its ridiculous.

And before anyone wants to bring it up, I don't want to play the game of "i'm going to miss 10 stops if you don't get them off my truck: just so I can have a lunch hour. Because if I send that message, I'm just going to screw one of my fellow workers doing a house-call route and I dont want to do this.

What I want is to do the route and just put in the time I take for lunch. Why can't it just be that simple? For the love GOD, I ask this question: why can't it be that simple?????

Because UPS has been sued for this.... Do a search for "Meal Rest Breaks"

Some people want to take their full Lunch. Others do not. The lawsuits said it didn't matter.

P-Man