Telematics-day one

pretzel_man

I wouldnt call my management team "poor"....but they (or someone right above them) are hell-bent on eliminating the "blips" and getting straight "zeros" for the whole center.

During the winter, I have no choice but to idle in the AM until my windshield defrosts. During this time, I try to be productive by going in the back and sorting packages. This means my door is open. Its a blip they are just going to have to deal with. UPS made a decision to overcrowd our facility and load a bunch of us outside, so they will have to accept some of the consequences of that decision.

I agree with you.

You are making the right choices. I hope you management doesn't make a poor choice by trying to fix the blips.

P-Man

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Where do I even begin?:wink2: Hey sexy, is "your driver", actually the driver that delivers where you work? No need to get into sordid details. A simple yes or know will suffice.:happy-very:

And on the telematics note. We have one car that's wired. It's a brand new, um, 500? It's really small and supposedly has a V-8. Saw the wires as I was cleaning the windshield. Has a snazzy flat screen monitor, as well.

The flat screen monitors blow. I'll take the old 7 inch cathode tubes anyday over those flat monitors. It doesn't get bright enough to really see what's going on out there, and everything is in greyscale. At least the ones over here are like that.

The flat screen monitors blow. I'll take the old 7 inch cathode tubes anyday over those flat monitors. It doesn't get bright enough to really see what's going on out there, and everything is in greyscale. At least the ones over here are like that.
every monitor I've seen were in greyscale. The flat screens that were on the 47s that we had were OK, didn't have any problems with brightness. To each his own I reckon.

SlowRide80k

My other one is Red Tag'd
The blips thing shouldn't be a problem in a couple weeks. Next comes 3 day rides for everyone in center, even those of you who are scratched or under, so they can determine how much or how much more you can do. This is to consolidate as much as possible in the down economic time. They'll start with the largest paid over guy and work their way thru until they ride everyone and get new numbers for this down volume period. The center manager here has been telling 2 of the cover guys that they have to scratch every route they do every day. They have to meet with him every morning in his office. It's bizarre and these guys are not new. They're prob 4-5 years in. It's borderline harrasment imo and this is the same guy who has the rule that you have to phone him personally to approve any over 10's.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The blips thing shouldn't be a problem in a couple weeks. Next comes 3 day rides for everyone in center, even those of you who are scratched or under, so they can determine how much or how much more you can do. This is to consolidate as much as possible in the down economic time. They'll start with the largest paid over guy and work their way thru until they ride everyone and get new numbers for this down volume period. The center manager here has been telling 2 of the cover guys that they have to scratch every route they do every day. They have to meet with him every morning in his office. It's bizarre and these guys are not new. They're prob 4-5 years in. It's borderline harrasment imo and this is the same guy who has the rule that you have to phone him personally to approve any over 10's.

Sounds like a controlling, micro-manager...good candidate for a future District manager or at least that use to be the model. Been out of the district for close to 20 years so maybe that changed.

mva1985

Just like a copy of any threatening or innappropriate diad message you my get. Good luck getting a copy of that. It will conveniently be deleted and nobody knows anything about sending it. That's when a camera phone comes in handy:wink2:

This is so true. You need to have your own documentation to protect yourself.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Thought I remembered Telematics from somewhere...It was from the Odessey (sort of) ... 40 years ago when I read it...no wonder it was a dim memory.

Telemachus (also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transliteration transliterated as Telemachos or Telémakhos; literally, "far-away fighter") is a figure in Greek mythology, the son of Odysseus and Penelope, and a central character in Homer's Odyssey. The first four books in particular focus on Telemachus's journeys in search of news about his father; they are, therefore, traditionally accorded the collective title the Telemachy.

Red Dawn

we had same problem with the ones that came in on the new 57's could adjust it. the ones that had come in on minivans work like old ones but flat screen in color. automotive guys could figure it out. they tried every code..so we kept forcing the issue in safety meetings. got new mng and he followed up it with top safety person. We got it fix. I can't remember what or why they had put a new code on the flat screens. But it was the problem. ours are now all fixed.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The center manager here has been telling 2 of the cover guys that they have to scratch every route they do every day. They have to meet with him every morning in his office. It's bizarre and these guys are not new. They're prob 4-5 years in. It's borderline harrasment imo and this is the same guy who has the rule that you have to phone him personally to approve any over 10's.

We would eat a guy like this for lunch, pick our teeth with his bones, and use his arteries to floss with.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I wouldnt call my management team "poor"....but they (or someone right above them) are hell-bent on eliminating the "blips" and getting straight "zeros" for the whole center.

During the winter, I have no choice but to idle in the AM until my windshield defrosts. During this time, I try to be productive by going in the back and sorting packages. This means my door is open. Its a blip they are just going to have to deal with. UPS made a decision to overcrowd our facility and load a bunch of us outside, so they will have to accept some of the consequences of that decision.

pretty sad, ups is spending all of their money and resources on buckling a seatbelt that 100 percent of drivers are using 99% of the time. Meanwhile, fedex is out at our customers giving them better pricing and service and taking volume that was on our cars. Isnt this disturbing to others out there. Fedex has snuck up on ups once, now they are going to try to take over the #1 spot, and all management cares about is getting 0 blips on a report.

brownrodster

pretty sad, ups is spending all of their money and resources on buckling a seatbelt that 100 percent of drivers are using 99% of the time. Meanwhile, fedex is out at our customers giving them better pricing and service and taking volume that was on our cars. Isnt this disturbing to others out there. Fedex has snuck up on ups once, now they are going to try to take over the #1 spot, and all management cares about is getting 0 blips on a report.

Nothing new. There exist a hundred such reports that our sups are responsible for everyday.

It's funny when a customer shows up at 10AM to find the customer counter closed and they curse UPS and nobody in the center even cares. They got a report that their boss wants to grill them about and that's more important to them.

(seriously a few weeks ago a customer came before the CC opened and they were outside yelling UPS SUCKS!!!! because they were so pissed. I happened to be there for some odd reason)

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Nothing new. There exist a hundred such reports that our sups are responsible for everyday.

It's funny when a customer shows up at 10AM to find the customer counter closed and they curse UPS and nobody in the center even cares. They got a report that their boss wants to grill them about and that's more important to them.

(seriously a few weeks ago a customer came before the CC opened and they were outside yelling UPS SUCKS!!!! because they were so pissed. I happened to be there for some odd reason)

That rant would of been the "rage", on you tube.