Temp info

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
All this telling me I can't makes me want it more . No doubt in my mind I can't beat the odds
I didn't sugarcoat it because you have a family and you'd be a fool to throw away a steady gig for a temp job that contractually cannot continue past mid January.

I'll expand on my previous post and give you some background to help you understand. Normally there would be virtually no chance of getting hired off the street, especially without showing you can perform well as a casual (temp) driver, but as I mentioned before the list of part time guys who signed up to go full time driving is nearly depleted in many areas of the country right now which is unheard of. We have actually been hiring off the street for permanent positions in some areas which we haven't seen in decades.

I worked as a part timer waiting to go driving and I was so torn when I got the call offering me to go driving as a casual. I was working a full time job during the day and working part time inside at night getting like 3 hours sleep and had been doing it for a few years. I was essentially at the same decision point you are, except I was working two jobs at the time and had been sleep deprived for so long.

I made the hard decision and the right decision and turned down the casual offer (this was summer time). I got a second call again offering me a casual spot late fall as they were gearing up for peak season which I again turned down, but told them I would love to go full time. I finally got a third call right after Christmas of that year telling me my time waiting on the permanent list was up and they offered me full time permanent. I had just got a promotion and raise at my day job and the ability to work from home and truly loved my job, but after getting input from people here on BC and weighing the pros and cons I quit my day job and went full time driving.

It was scary as hell because HR told me that in that year so far they had put 13 drivers on the road casual and perm and only kept 2 of them so I was gambling or I should say betting on myself to pass driving school, make seniority (30 working days) by being able to hit their performance metrics and do all this while not getting in a single accident which instantly disqualifies you...Game Over.

That being said, make sure HR knows you are an experienced motivated hard working driver and would jump at the chance to go driving in a full time permanent capacity, watch ups.com and other job sites like indeed.com for UPS job notifications in case HR doesn't reach out to you. Be proactive and if you see anything that looks like a permanent driving job, get with HR...but pass on the casual driving job for the good of your family.

I didn't sugarcoat it because you have a family and you'd be a fool to throw away a steady gig for a temp job that contractually cannot continue past mid January.

I'll expand on my previous post and give you some background to help you understand. Normally there would be virtually no chance of getting hired off the street, especially without showing you can perform well as a casual (temp) driver, but as I mentioned before the list of part time guys who signed up to go full time driving is nearly depleted in many areas of the country right now which is unheard of. We have actually been hiring off the street for permanent positions in some areas which we haven't seen in decades.

I worked as a part timer waiting to go driving and I was so torn when I got the call offering me to go driving as a casual. I was working a full time job during the day and working part time inside at night getting like 3 hours sleep and had been doing it for a few years. I was essentially at the same decision point you are, except I was working two jobs at the time and had been sleep deprived for so long.

I made the hard decision and the right decision and turned down the casual offer (this was summer time). I got a second call again offering me a casual spot late fall as they were gearing up for peak season which I again turned down, but told them I would love to go full time. I finally got a third call right after Christmas of that year telling me my time waiting on the permanent list was up and they offered me full
That's good insight thank you ! See I usually check the website every month or so just to look and I always see temp or seasonal drivers . But this time I saw full time package car driver so I assumed it wasn't temp or seasonal I even took a picture of this knowning that this was going to happen. I showed the hr lady and she didn't know what to say except they were only hiring for seasonal temps I'm going to call her tomorrow again and see what's going on keep your fingers crossed they invite me for full time . They also kept asking me if I could get fed ex sales leads since I previously worked for them
image.jpg

Orion Syndicate

90% or lose a limb. (limb is user choice!)
That looks full-time off the street to me. Make it through your packet and you're guaranteed hrs.

Sent using BrownCafe App

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
That's good insight thank you ! See I usually check the website every month or so just to look and I always see temp or seasonal drivers . But this time I saw full time package car driver so I assumed it wasn't temp or seasonal I even took a picture of this knowning that this was going to happen. I showed the hr lady and she didn't know what to say except they were only hiring for seasonal temps I'm going to call her tomorrow again and see what's going on keep your fingers crossed they invite me for full time .
Technically it is full time as you usually will get over 40 hours as a casual during summer vacation season and during peak, however you're not guaranteed to work everyday as a casual.

They also kept asking me if I could get fed ex sales leads since I previously worked for them
That's unethical.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
That looks full-time off the street to me. Make it through your packet and you're guaranteed hrs.

Sent using BrownCafe App
They probably listed it wrong like when I started with the company. My part time package handler ad on the site and on the other job sites said nothing about it being seasonal but I was hired as seasonal and in the free period. They ended up needing me and kept me, but that's not uncommon for part time package handlers.

They probably listed it wrong like when I started with the company. My part time package handler ad on the site and on the other job sites said nothing about it being seasonal but I was hired as seasonal and in the free period. They ended up needing me and kept me, but that's not uncommon for part time package handlers.
No way they listed it wrong because there is a tab to apply for seasonal also

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Your 30 day qualification period.
Resident know-it-all.
They have a workbook with your name on it where the on-car supervisor you report to has to keep completing stuff throughout your 30 working days to qualify. The book then stays on file.

If they want you to make seniority they will "paper-job" the book and just fill it out and just observe you a few times on area. If they don't want you they'll find negatives to put in there and quiz you on the million things it asks for.

I was fortunate and my on-car liked the job I did so he just observed me a few times, gave me feedback and paper-jobbed the rest of the stuff in the workbook. Hell after I passed driving school I wasn't asked the DOKs even once for months. In driving school we had to know them 100% though to pass.

Indecisi0n

Remember that movie where the women says "may the odds be ever in your favor"? Guess what? In this case you have a better chance of finding a winning lottery ticket under a dead homeless man who fell out of a cargo plane 12 years ago.

Last edited:

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Remember that movie where the women say "may the odds ever in your favor"? Guess what? In this case you have a better chance of finding a winning lottery ticket under a dead homeless man who fell out of a cargo plane 12 years ago.
Planning a ups rookie driver hunger games?

Just got updated on the "temp" spot . It's technically a cover job making 18.75 an hour at the end year with the possibility to be let go depending on my performance and it bodies are needed . Someone tell me since it's "cover work" I may not work everyday ? Say they don't need me I go home ? Or will they always need me?

Sent using BrownCafe App

barnyard

KTM rider
You might not work everyday and you have no hourly guarantees.

Because you are experienced, the HR people are looking at you as needing minimal training, however, once the season is over, you will be done. You might get a call back in May, but that would be for another cover assignment that would last until September.

We had a guy work 4 or 5 seasons as a temp cover before he was offered an off the street position. He had another job as a realtor, so he made that work. In the end, he quit after 3 years because he was making more as a realtor.

We have a regional delivery service near my center. We find that many of those drivers will hire on, make seniority and quit before hitting top scale because "they are pushed too hard."

I think I'm going to work part time and a unloaded to get my foot in the door . The hr guy told me after my first year I can put bids in for open routes is that accurate ?

Sent using BrownCafe App

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
So what's the best way to be a driver haha how many years do I have to put in pt

Sent using BrownCafe App
The average wait for a part timer to go full time driving is 3-5 years inside. I've seen guys in other centers wait 9 years. Right now they're hiring an unprecedented amount of drivers and who knows how the coming years will work.

It took me 3 1/2 years working nights as a package handler to get the full time call and then a year and a half of being a full time permanent cover driver to get my own route--both of which are way faster than usual.

Part timers sign the full time driving list in each January. You need to be a Union member in good standing for at least 9 months first, have a clean driving record, etc. If you go part time sign the next January list anyway just in case they exhaust those with 9 months in.

So short answer is it varies.