temperature of working conditions

rod

Retired 22 years
It would take extremely brutal heat or cold before OSHA would do anything about it. Probably not worth the getting a target painted on your back over. Dress for it and learn to live with it. The high temp here today was 10 above and I watched a crew doing a house roofing job up 3 stories. Someone always has it worse.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Yes, yes we know...you have it harder on Twi than anyone else in UPS...including preloaders and drivers. Bay doors are wide open...as rentals are being loaded by carting packages out to the yard. Tell me more about what you don't know about my building. Did you hit 30 hrs a week on local sort yet? I punch in in 15 minutes ;)

Yes buddy, hit 35 hours last week with some side deals :cool:.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Yes, yes we know...you have it harder on Twi than anyone else in UPS...including preloaders and drivers. Bay doors are wide open...as rentals are being loaded by carting packages out to the yard. Tell me more about what you don't know about my building. Did you hit 30 hrs a week on local sort yet? I punch in in 15 minutes ;)

I don't have it necessarily harder, I just apply myself whenever I clock in.

J

jibbs

I've been a loader a long time...if you're cold...chances are you're not moving fast enough.

I take it you've never loaded outside underneath a tent before during Christmas season before, and if you have and stayed warm in NY....

:censored2: you must be insulated.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I take it you've never loaded outside underneath a tent before during Christmas season before, and if you have and stayed warm in NY....

:censored2: you must be insulated.
Outside in a tent? Nope...don't even know what that would look like...lol. I do know I just got home from Brown. Long week.

J

jibbs

I don't think it's fair to say that people aren't moving fast enough if they're cold loading outside in 20 degree weather when you've never experienced it yourself. That big building you work at can be a blessing.

When we get more volume than we're meant to handle, we come in at midnight to tents set up outside of the building with rollers connected hundreds of feet to the bottom of our main belts' conveyor system. The best part?

I swear to God I've been told that the tents are to protect the packages from the weather, not the loader.

EDIT: I'll take a picture one day once peak is finished. It's ridiculous, man.

oldngray

nowhere special
When I started on preload UPS barely turned the heat on. You had to wear a jacket when you were working. Definitely not like people wearing shorts in the winter like they do now.

J

jibbs

When I started on preload UPS barely turned the heat on. You had to wear a jacket when you were working. Definitely not like people wearing shorts in the winter like they do now.

People inside the building look like they're at the gym in my center these past few days.

People in the doghouses/bristols look like anorexic :censored2:ing eskimos getting ready to rob somebody with our ski masks and wintered up clothing.

The temperature difference is amazing, to be honest. You get used to working in it, the problem is when they shuffle you around from a HOT spot to a freezing cold one over and over throughout the shift. The body just can't get adjusted and you eventually start sweating right as you return to the freezing temperatures, making it a cyclical problem that spirals out of control pretty easily.

rod

Retired 22 years
I don't think it's fair to say that people aren't moving fast enough if they're cold loading outside in 20 degree weather when you've never experienced it yourself. That big building you work at can be a blessing.

When we get more volume than we're meant to handle, we come in at midnight to tents set up outside of the building with rollers connected hundreds of feet to the bottom of our main belts' conveyor system. The best part?

I swear to God I've been told that the tents are to protect the packages from the weather, not the loader.

EDIT: I'll take a picture one day once peak is finished. It's ridiculous, man.

I would be outside without a jacket on if it was in the 20's around here.

J

jibbs

You're probably not 5'4" weighing 125lbs either, brutha.

I've got no body fat, man. Well... not enough to repeat last year's winter with no heat, at least.

For real, though, what kind of temperature would you consider cold?

20 degrees is ":censored2: that, I'm not doing anything today"-weather for the typical Marylander.

J

jibbs

Two states I now know that I'll never visit. Thanks, oldngray.

To be fair, though, I love Vermont and it gets cold as balls up there too.

rod

Retired 22 years

I've got no body fat, man. Well... not enough to repeat last year's winter with no heat, at least.

20 degrees is ":censored2: that, I'm not doing anything today"-weather for the typical Marylander.

To be honest cold don't bother me. Now if you add a wind to it then it becomes a problem. If you only weigh 125 lbs you have plenty of room to layer up with warm clothes.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

You're right.....working hard and sweating...then going out in the cold and freeze. I meant more like when they leave the bay doors open to counteract the heat blasting.

J

jibbs

If you only weigh 125 lbs you have plenty of room to layer up with warm clothes.

I can and do. I just don't stay in one spot. Lately I've loaded 4 trailers on the inner doghouse for about 3-4 hours, and then go out and start and finish loading an entirely different set of 3 to 4 trailers in the doghouse sitting in the middle of our parking lot. What happens to my initial 4 trucks if I don't finish loading them, you may be wondering? Why, my PT sup trains seasonals on them once I get whisked away outside, of course.

I've been bragging telling people I load 8 trucks a day, lol. Really it's only half of four trucks, and then the entirety of another 4.

It's bull:censored2:, though. I hate having to start up on one belt inside, then go outside several hours later and do the same damn thing all over again. It's cold out so I have to bundle up, but it's hot af in the building so I have to strip down. It also doesn't help starting in the heat for several hours and then being relegated to another doghouse outside for the rest of the shift.

There's just no way for me to acclimate to those changes without breaking out in a sweat, which pretty much makes everything I do to combat the cold pointless anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jibbs

but hey! I'm not complaining really! So no one start to call me a whiner or whatever.

This is just how the conversation naturally evolved. I don't expect anything to be done about it whatsoever.