tentative contract now online

705red

Browncafe Steward
Did I read it right on the 9.5? triple pay?:ohmy:
Read all of the new language in artcle 37 right under the triple time paragraph. That whole underlined section has trouble written all over it for those of us that run an hour or more over daily. Plus you must sign up 2 times a year to request no overtime. What happens if something changes and then you need the ot?

After skimming over it, here are some of my personal observations....

I very much like the stronger penalty for over 9.5. They've also added penalties for not adhering to an 8 hour request. I like it.

The split raise really doesn't bother me. Most people only get one $.35 or $.40 raise a year anyway.

A $1.00 raise after 90 days for new part timers is pretty good. If they're in a "skilled" position, they're at $11 in a year. That's not too bad.

I was a little confused on the pension part. On section mentioned the same penalties as CS ( -6% per year for every year under 62 ) and then another part mentioned a 30 and out at any age. Which is it? Is the penalty for those that didn't have at least 25 years? And if UPS doesn't have the penalty, could you retire and only draw on your UPS portion? I'd assume that the penalties would still be in effect on your CS portion so it'd be nice if you could delay drawing from that part to offset the penalty. I saw nothing regarding work restrictions in the UPS proposal. The currently, CS is extremely restrictive and it worries several people I know who would like to have a part time job to keep themselves busy, or just for some extra play money. Benefit has been returned to the pre-cut levels. This is almost like an increase, but not very impressive. I could go either way with this one, but my personal opinion is that I trust UPS to do better with it than the teamsters did.

Also, I saw nothing about the wage reduction for the guys in 804. Wouldn't that be in here if it was true? Or is that strictly a local rider kind of thing?

browned_out

:confused:1 Am I reading the feeder/sleeper section right, it seems that there is now a 3 year progression to top pay?(It has to do with mileage). Not sure if this is just a sleeper issue or if feeder applys to.

wizard

I am a CSI driver where is the P&D supplement? did I miss it somewhere. I had heard we would be a part of this contract but isnt there a supplement for us??

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I have no problems with this contract. The lack of full-time job creation and the freeze for starting wages for part-timers are my only problems. I can live with the lack of full-time job creation but the freeze at $8.50/hr is a mistake. I like that $1/hr raise after 90, though. Being at $11/hr after a year for a skilled position is OK. I'd vote YES but I'm HISTORY!! -Rocky

Pollocknbrown

Can someone please explain to me why taking trailers off of rail cars could and will eliminate combo jobs? I was always under the impression that the feeder drivers who were waiting for their trailers to be loaded/ unloaded went between the railyards and Hubs/ Centers with the trailers.

KTB

I'm not really sure where the combo job speculation is coming from. I just read the proposed contract and it says very clearly in Article 22 section 3 that the number of combo jobs from the past 2 contracts can't be reduced. No new 22.3 jobs, but the ones that currently exist are protected. Am I missing something?

brett636

It appears the current batch of combo jobs are protected, but there is no language promising new combo jobs, just 20,000 new fulltime jobs.

Can someone please clarify for me what the top rate is for fulltime package car and feeder drivers? The only sentence I see is under fulltime inside jobs, and its in bold saying Top rate is $22.62 plus applicable raises in this agreement. Certainly that can't apply to new package car and feeder drivers as well can it?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
The only sentence I see is under fulltime inside jobs, and its in bold saying Top rate is $22.62 plus applicable raises in this agreement. Certainly that can't apply to new package car and feeder drivers as well can it?

No, that figure doesn't apply to feeder/package drivers.

Article 41, Section 2
Start: 16.10
Seniority: 17.25
Twelve Months: 17.25
Twenty Four Months: 18.45
Thirty Six Months: Top rate

I don't see what the top rate is for drivers, though. I thought I saw something about $31/hr somewhere on BrownCafe but I could be wrong. Not being a driver, I'm on the fence about this three year progression. -Rocky

brett636

That was my concern as it didn't specify top rate under the driver's section, only "Top Rate" and then the sentence later on down about it being $22.62 plus raises. I just wanted to be sure that it will be what it currently is plus raises, not a lesser amount starting Aug. 1.

VTBrown

Guys....it's what it currently is plus the new round of raises.

Is the 9.5 language all that stronger now? I was under the impression that once you had your letter in, under the current contract. They could work you over 9.5 once before you were into the "bonus". Now you can't get that till the 3rd day you are over 9.5.

Then you still have to get a BA willing to get you the money.

The important change is the 8hr dispatch.

M

mike42

There is no way that you should vote for this agreement. Your wage increases each year are less than stated. They would actually be .52, .56, .56, .63, and .71. Since they are splitting your raises in two, take they average and that is what your yearly raises will actually be. Why is the union giving in to UPS. Over the last 2 years UPS made over $8 BILLION in profit. Compare our wage increases to the deal that the UAW got its members. We will earn approximately $8500 over the 5 year deal, yet the GM workers will get around $13000. And GM lost almost $13 BILLION over the last 2 years. The other problem that I see is that if pension and health care costs go up, which we know that they will, the way I read the contract proposal is that the company can take up to .35 cents an hour of your pay and move it to the pension or health care costs. Why should we pay that increase when UPS continues to make record profits. Before you vote on this contract read it carefully and educate yourself. Don't take the union or managements word that it is a good contract. Remember, a union trustee voted with UPS to put New York & New Jersey under a joint UPS/Teamster pension plan and reduced their benfits by 30% and then put a cap on them. So it would be suprising that our union negotiators switched sides and sold us out to the Dark Side.

bears2

my main concern is the pension. at 22.62 an hour i am happy with the raises we are getting even though they are lower than this last contract.

my concern with the new ups fulltime pension plan will be the language and the honesty in details that will be given before we vote. im sure every local union who had a rep at the meeting thursday had to hear at least one person ask about it and they will all play dumb at the general contract meetings at the locals.either that it will be a matter as fact answer in which we will get 3-4 different answers for.

here is my big question...like most in my area we worked 10-15 years part-time and then went fulltime and had 5-10 years in central states.now we will have 10-20 years in the new plan. how the heck is this gonna work? im sure a perfect storm will happen before can retire but hope soemone knows an anser.will we get 3 pensions? is it recipricating? will it add up to 35 years in any way shape or form we can retire an get a check or will we have to wait for this that or the other? if we have 30 years in will we have to take the 6% penalty if we retire before 62?

bottom line is why did teamsters agree to nothing but concessions?

ive read the answer is teamsters agreed to elt the pension go an concessions go in order to union ups freight

Ms.PacMan

I was a little confused on the pension part. On section mentioned the same penalties as CS ( -6% per year for every year under 62 ) and then another part mentioned a 30 and out at any age. Which is it? Is the penalty for those that didn't have at least 25 years? And if UPS doesn't have the penalty, could you retire and only draw on your UPS portion? I'd assume that the penalties would still be in effect on your CS portion so it'd be nice if you could delay drawing from that part to offset the penalty.

Portions??? "Buying us out of" meant that whatever UPS monies were in CS are not now, and are now jointly held in the new fund UPS/IBT monies and I would assume that any previous rules go out the window no different than the changes implemented in CS in 2003.

I think you were right with the first guess, that those 6% penalties are for people with less than 25 years but more than 5 (vested years).

VTBrown

Remember when the Union said they couldn't use the GPS as a tool against the drivers when it first came out?

Now the new wording says you can't have action taken against you for the first offense when they used the GPS or other newer systems.

I see a whole lot of drivers finding this out the hard way. :crying:

Lets face it....every one here cried about the 3 year progression.....but gee look. It comes with higher wages through the progression. Doesn't look that bad now.

Portions??? "Buying us out of" meant that whatever UPS monies were in CS are not now, and are now jointly held in the new fund UPS/IBT monies and I would assume that any previous rules go out the window no different than the changes implemented in CS in 2003.

I think you were right with the first guess, that those 6% penalties are for people with less than 25 years but more than 5 (vested years).

I believe you are mistaken. I think that the term has gotten twisted around and it's distorted people's perceptions of what actually occurred. My understanding is that UPS did not "buy us out" of Central States, it payed a "withdawal penalty". Any money accumulated in the Central States plan stays with Central States and any new money contributed as of Jan 1st 2008 would begin accumulating in the new UPS/IBT plan. I do not state this as absolute fact, ( in fact I hope I'm wrong ) but that's what I've gotten out of the discussions over the last couple months. When we retire, we'd be looking at 2 separate checks... One from Central States and one from UPS.

Mystakilla

Who the *$#@ cares.
I cant believe it took them this long to come up with what they did! IMO they can do alot better then whats presented. I know what my vote will be.

18wheelbrownie

does this mean we still have to work till 62 with a 6% penatly,

( (2) The benefit formula for current or future full-time employees who are participants in the
UPS/IBT Plan will be as set forth below for each year of future service (hours worked in Covered
Employment on or after the effective date) up to a maximum of thirty (35) years of Credited
Service (such limitation is only applicable to service pensions). This benefit is unreduced if
payable at Normal Retirement Age (age 65) and 5 years of vesting service or at age 62 with 20
years of Credited Service. Benefit payments may begin as early as Early Retirement Age (age 50
with five years of vesting service) and are reduced 6% per year for each year and partial year
prior to Normal Retirement Age. There shall be no reduction or change in the level of benefits
described herein unless negotiated and agreed to by the Union. )

i have 20 plus years, you are still giving me 3000. amonth with no cola?
thats the same as 97, this is 2007.where is the improvement? and whats to say the company wants to make cuts on the pension some wheres down the road and the new ups/ibt panel agrees with it ? just like they did to 804?:w00t: