tentative contract now online

local804

Again, 804 you show us the problems with the MEP and SEP but you give us no solutions.

Once again, I am a UPS employee and have no solution to the pension problems. UPS management in on my trustees board and they seem to know as much as I do(crap). If I could fix these pension problems, the last place I would be working for is the brown monster. I am glad you are able to survive down south and are very happy with what your company has put on the table. I hope your supp passes.

k78333

Does anyone have an opinion on why they changed the language in Article 26,sect 1(a). That says a feeder driver with less than 3 years in the classification can be laid off if his run goes on the rail. Previous language stated " in the Employ of the Employer as of Aug 1,1997" can't be laid off due to competition. Where would you go if laid off? Could you displace someone in a hub? Anybody have an opinion on this clause?

local804

Our local, you can bump right back into package. Flipside of the coin is that you do not have to return to feeder. Some guys couldnt take the constant games with the layoff list and chose not to return to feeder. Its a lose/lose situation for both. Competition committe, just what we need, another joke!

area43

Guys in brown,
Yes it is official, didnt see it in writing but heard it from the BA firsthand.
Area,
We are on two different pages I see. I am telling you that your only UPS pension plan isnt as pretty as the picture you paint and you are telling me about the 35,000 teamsters that are getting screwed. I have not talked to any of them but do talk to alot of my very close teamsters in my local which I would fight tooth and nail for. We all work too damn hard at this job and sacrifice our first born to survive while the company profits billions. The intimidation and harrassment at this job is like no other and working conditions in the brown oven are pathetic as can be. I do not agree that the 35,000 members in the CS`s boat is afloat and the 3,500 members boat is sinking. Either way, I will still retire at 25 years of service and go to plan B when I retire. For as long as I could remember, we all made the same money at UPS, till now.....

I'm trying to understand this post. 35,000 members afloat. 3,500 members sinking. Not sure what you are talking about. Is it your own local. Again the 35,000 members had been getting screwed in the CS plan. Now, since the buy out there is a gleamer of hope. I do not claim I know all the specifics of your 804 Sep, but I do know this. The CS MEP plan is the greater of 2 evils as far a compared with the Sep. I wish that the Teamsters and UPS would learn from the failed MEPS and SEPS, but it appears they havent. Its shameful, but maybe just maybe this time the Teamster UPS sep that is set up for the exiting CS UPSers will work. Lets look at the Positives. At least most of every dollar will go to the UPSers. UPS making billions. Thats cool. Again what is enough profit. I see big profits as a good thing, some think their evil. Hmmmm. The question is, do you feel you are adequately compensated for your work. I believe most ft UPSers feel that they are. Is the upper brass soaking in all this cash. Perphaps. Hey they came out of their comfort zone. They risked it all. Could they not hang as a driver? Perphaps. They did leave the protection of the Teamsters representation and climb the ladder or in some cases attempted. Did they climb with ethics? It came be a turbulent world at the top. A lot of politics to be played. I guess they played the game well. Again, did they always play by the rules. Probably not. On the same hand does the Teamsters play by the rules. Both sides have their possible corruption.

area43

Brother area everything you brought up are great points. I hope you realize all of these points you talk about were negioated over the years and are not new to this contract. Just because we are well off because of past contracts does not mean that we should tuck our tails and take a bad contract that will hurt us for decades to come!
We should start a thread on whats positivee and whats negative and lets compare to help everyone look at what their giving up and what their getting in return.

Red, with all do respect let me quote some of Hoffa's own words about the present contract. They Love it. Hoffa, "We have negotiated an agreement that will greatly benefit our members at UPS as well as TEAMSTERS MEMBERS in other industries covered by pension and health and welfare funds that will recieve the contribution increases". Red, I will do one thing. I will take down my signature. I apologize.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Red, with all do respect let me quote some of Hoffa's own words about the present contract. They Love it. Hoffa, "We have negotiated an agreement that will greatly benefit our members at UPS as well as TEAMSTERS MEMBERS in other industries covered by pension and health and welfare funds that will recieve the contribution increases". Red, I will do one thing. I will take down my signature. I apologize.
Area dont take down your signature because some disagrees with your point of view. I was just pointing out that everything you were praising thanks to the teamsters had come from past contracts, and you had not praised 1 item from this current offer, yet you were happy with it.

area43

Folks I have read the contract. Again I want to address the issue of the 6.1 billion. One poster had stated this before. 6.1 billion is 6,100 millions. Thats alot of cash. That's where the bennies went toooo. This time around the stakes were high. The Teamsters had a big tab, but no money.

Part Timers, I feel sorry for you. I was a Part Timer for 2.7 years. I know it is very difficult work. I would wake up at 3:30 am every morning. Report time 4:00 am. I worked to about 8:00 am. I would then go home and take a power nap before I went to school. If I didn't I would be a walking Zombie. This was in 85. My starting pay was $8 an hour. I worked the unload for about a year. From there I went to the main sort(about 8 months). Then finished out the remainder of my pt time loading 2 metro trailors.

Part timers, I believe you are payed sub-par wages. I also believe your wage increases could have been higher. Part Timers your higher wage increase could have went for the 6.1 billion buy out. We ft timers are going to have to start paying for our insurance. Pt insurance, what can you say about that. FT time pay progression has gotten longer. Lets face it. The 35 cents or more(health). Its going to happen. The Teamsters took a survey as to what was important to our members before the contract neg started. Pension and Health was the most important. Well, be careful what you wish for. Folks, when the Teamsters started neg. we were already down 6.1 billion. This has to be taken into account on why the contract and I will say it. Is not the greatest, but at least its not going the other way.

It sometimes amazes me that the contract is based on the company doing well. Growth. What if the company goes south? Then what? Is that factored into the contract? Those sometimes dreaded Sales Leads. If we want the raises we are going to have more responsibilities placed on us. Can the Teamsters/UPS please everybody when it comes to the contract? As 804 said, "I don't have all the answers". 804, I Area 43 don't have them either. The future. What does it hold?

area43

Area dont take down your signature because some disagrees with your point of view. I was just pointing out that everything you were praising thanks to the teamsters had come from past contracts, and you had not praised 1 item from this current offer, yet you were happy with it.

Red, I still will vote yes. About the sig coming down. I was just taking your feelings into consideration. LOL I know at times you can be a little sensitive. Hey, thats a good thing. Red as the sig said. UPS took a big hit for the 35,000 UPS members at CS. Red, I believe you have stated before that you would take a lesser increase in pay to help a fellow Teamster out. Well, I believe that is the best thing about this contract. Red, you cannot seperate the two. Buy out and Contract. Why do you think they did them at the same time? There is a connection. Monies spent. Thats what it came down too. The contract is good and again I will vote yes. The best part of the contract was that it helped out my fellow Teamsters. Scratch being one of them.

UPSers thats what life is all about. Its about helping people. Its not always about making a dollar. We are so critical of UPS making billions, but lets point the finger at us. Are our lifestyles like UPS's but on a lower/smaller scale. Do we want more, more, more? Are we just as Guilty? How are your spending practices? Are they prudent? Credit cards? I could go on and on. People, thats what this contract is all about. Helping those UPSer's that were in the Central States Mult-Employer Plan.

Last edited:

Damok

Some observations:

The 35 cents that can be moved from the raises... it can only go to H,W and P correct? I'm not crazy about losing paycheck cash but if it can only be diverted to those areas then it would make it easier to swallow in my opinion. I honestly have no idea if the pension will be around when I retire but I'm certainly not counting on it when I run my retirement figures. Personally I would rather control over my own money instead of either The Union or the Company. Let me roll it over into a Roth - not gonna happen so I'll have to try and make sure I make the best out of my options. Getting out of CS was a good start.

Has anybody found any info on working after retirement? Will there be the same or similar asinine restrictions under this new deal as there were under the old?

The split raises aren't my favorite idea but they are still raises. I would imagine it still works out better than raises in other industries but i haven't run the math. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Members voted to have Pensions, Health and Welfare issues be the main focus of this contract. It wasn't supposed to be about record wage increases or better language in certain areas. Is our pension going to better off because of this tentative agreement than it was before? I'm no financial wiz but my gut says yes - I could very well be wrong and if someone has the math, lay it on me :)

I think not giving higher pay to new hires right away can be looked at in a lot of ways. Not many quality people may want to come for $8.50. The company may not want to give more money to people that may not hang in there. Showing people there will be a pay jump in 3 months may be enough to get them over that initial hump of adapting to the work or it may not.

I'm still going over alot of stuff in my head and I realize a lot of this is just random so bear with me... it helps me to sift through it all.

Braveheart

Some observations:

The 35 cents that can be moved from the raises... it can only go to H,W and P correct? I'm not crazy about losing paycheck cash but if it can only be diverted to those areas then it would make it easier to swallow in my opinion. I honestly have no idea if the pension will be around when I retire but I'm certainly not counting on it when I run my retirement figures. Personally I would rather control over my own money instead of either The Union or the Company. Let me roll it over into a Roth - not gonna happen so I'll have to try and make sure I make the best out of my options. Getting out of CS was a good start.

Has anybody found any info on working after retirement? Will there be the same or similar asinine restrictions under this new deal as there were under the old?

The split raises aren't my favorite idea but they are still raises. I would imagine it still works out better than raises in other industries but i haven't run the math. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Members voted to have Pensions, Health and Welfare issues be the main focus of this contract. It wasn't supposed to be about record wage increases or better language in certain areas. Is our pension going to better off because of this tentative agreement than it was before? I'm no financial wiz but my gut says yes - I could very well be wrong and if someone has the math, lay it on me :)

I think not giving higher pay to new hires right away can be looked at in a lot of ways. Not many quality people may want to come for $8.50. The company may not want to give more money to people that may not hang in there. Showing people there will be a pay jump in 3 months may be enough to get them over that initial hump of adapting to the work or it may not.

I'm still going over alot of stuff in my head and I realize a lot of this is just random so bear with me... it helps me to sift through it all.
I have been told and as to what I have read that the contribution rate is lower, the accrual rate is lower, there are 6% penalties starting at 65 instead of 62, the chart rates are 10 years old, and they only have to fund it according to applicable laws, all the while gaining control of our pension and having a loophole to take .35 of every raise to divert to the so called great UPS pension plan that was told to us that was better than Central States.

Too many areas of give backs and loopholes for me!

Braveheart

Hi. I could be wrong, but the way I'm reading this -

"The UPS/IBT Plan will recognize full-time service in the CS Plan for determining eligibility for the benefits in this section and will offset at Normal Retirement Age the benefits accrued from the CS Plan commencing at Normal Retirement Age."
UPS will use count the years you've accrued with CS toward your total and will then reduce the amount you will receive from CS from the UPS plan. (two checks)

and this-

"If the benefit paid from the CS Plan is reduced as permitted or required by law, the amount of such reduction shall not be included in this offset."
seems to mean that if, for some reason CS cannot pay the full amount it owes you, then UPS is not required to make up the difference. For instance, if the Feds or CS decide that CS won't be able to pay everyone the agreed upon retirement amount, I suppose they could reduce it- if the current law permits the reduction.
Great points, it sure seems like more loopholes for our pension to be reduced!

tunemixer

Can someone explain what improvements have been made in the pension in the new contract offer?I have read the contract posted and have a hard time figuring it out. I am planning on going out in July of 2009. At that time I will have over 25 years with the company fullime.I will also be 61 1/2 . As it stands right now I am suppose to get something like 3950.00 a month. If I stay through peak I will be 62 . I would get 4011.00 and also receive my vacation pay by staying through Dec.31st. I may do just that BUT. I would also like to see whats new first. Reading all the posts in the discussions we seem to have serveral members that can read this stuff and figure out whats really being said. I for one read something and if I read it again I get something different. Guess my question is. Whats new and improved for guys like me?
Oh and I did read enough to figure out that the PTers are getting taken over th coals. I also feel bad for the younger members having to work longer to be able to retire. This is one time where my age is an advantage to me.

Can someone explain what improvements have been made in the pension in the new contract offer?I have read the contract posted and have a hard time figuring it out. I am planning on going out in July of 2009. At that time I will have over 25 years with the company fullime.I will also be 61 1/2 . As it stands right now I am suppose to get something like 3950.00 a month. If I stay through peak I will be 62 . I would get 4011.00 and also receive my vacation pay by staying through Dec.31st. I may do just that BUT. I would also like to see whats new first. Reading all the posts in the discussions we seem to have serveral members that can read this stuff and figure out whats really being said. I for one read something and if I read it again I get something different. Guess my question is. Whats new and improved for guys like me?
Oh and I did read enough to figure out that the PTers are getting taken over th coals. I also feel bad for the younger members having to work longer to be able to retire. This is one time where my age is an advantage to me.

If your pension is going to be close to $4000 a month with only 25 years of service, it certainly doesn't sound like you're in Central States. If you're not, then your pension may very well be unaffected by this contract.

O

OZZ

I retired in 2003 with 31yrs.I wonder how this CS pullout will affect us?

I feel that the guys who are depending on CS for the long haul are being thrown to the wolves. UPS will pull out and make the fund slightly better off in the short run(70% funded) But UPS for years has said it contrbutes far more than their fair share because of all the retirees from now non-existing and now non-contributing trucking firms pulling from the same pot(CS). So that means year after year UPS won't be contributing, and CS will be worse off. I am not going to count on the 25+ years I have in CS. I will probally not retire untill I have over 40 years in , if even then. I'm sorry if the news is bleak but it doesn't look good long term, and someone has to say it. The pension is why I stayed so long at UPS. I can't see why anyone with 10 or more years in CS would like this deal.

I feel that the guys who are depending on CS for the long haul are being thrown to the wolves. UPS will pull out and make the fund slightly better off in the short run(70% funded) But UPS for years has said it contrbutes far more than their fair share because of all the retirees from now non-existing and now non-contributing trucking firms pulling from the same pot(CS). So that means year after year UPS won't be contributing, and CS will be worse off. I am not going to count on the 25+ years I have in CS. I will probally not retire untill I have over 40 years in , if even then. I'm sorry if the news is bleak but it doesn't look good long term, and someone has to say it. The pension is why I stayed so long at UPS. I can't see why anyone with 10 or more years in CS would like this deal.

I'm not entirely convinced that is accurate. 6 billion is a pretty big chunk of change and compounding interest is a beautiful thing. I would think that an upfront payment that large would make the fund much more stable over the long term.