Terminated For Altercation- Need my job back

K-loader

Whats up fellow Teamsters-
I have been terminated from UPS after being attacked by another teamster. We work out in C-sort (temp building out in the cold) where the weather takes a toll on us all. Now that the weather is cold, I have been turning on the heater from time to time, and my co-worker lost it stating it's too hot and he came face to face to me trying to intimidate me. My automatic reaction was to shove him away from me and following- he threw punches. I did not throw one punch but was able to restrain him; however, our union rep(steward) pulled me off him allowing him to stand up and take a cheap shot at my face. I argued that I was not the main aggressor but was still let go. I tried contacting my Union President, but he was not there on the day of the incident(Friday) and is gone the next week. I left him a voice mail and have not heard back from him. I am lost, confused, angry, and unsettled. I filed a police report due to the advise given to me; however, I just want to know how to get my job back. Steward told me on the way out that I will get my job back....nothing else
Any help, advise, or experience helps,
your fellow brother,
k-loader

Box Ox

he came face to face to me trying to intimidate me. My automatic reaction was to shove him away from me

That's your mistake. Shoving somebody on a belt is 100% dangerous. You could have nailed him to the wall by reporting it to your supervisors and the hotline, if necessary. Threats and hostile work environment. Witnesses if you've got them.

I know people can get really, really hot with the :censored2: flying everywhere and testosterone flowing. I absolutely have in the past. Curse words and intense yelling going back and forth. Next time keep your hands behind your back unless you think you're about to get hit.

542thruNthru

I have been terminated from UPS after being attacked by another teamster. We work out in C-sort (temp building out in the cold) where the weather takes a toll on us all. Now that the weather is cold, I have been turning on the heater from time to time, and my co-worker lost it stating it's too hot and he came face to face to me trying to intimidate me. My automatic reaction was to shove him away from me and following- he threw punches. I did not throw one punch but was able to restrain him; however, our union rep(steward) pulled me off him allowing him to stand up and take a cheap shot at my face. I argued that I was not the main aggressor but was still let go. I tried contacting my Union President, but he was not there on the day of the incident(Friday) and is gone the next week. I left him a voice mail and have not heard back from him. I am lost, confused, angry, and unsettled. I filed a police report due to the advise given to me; however, I just want to know how to get my job back. Steward told me on the way out that I will get my job back....nothing else
your fellow brother,
k-loader

Call your local. Tell them you need to grieve your termination. You don't need the president of the local to be able to file a grievance.

Box Ox

Call your local. Tell them you need to grieve your termination. You don't need the president of the local to be able to file a grievance.

Mine automatically grieves them. OP: Definitely get in direct contact with your BA (Business Agent). He or she should always be in your phone contacts.

F

Frankie's Friend

Legally, if you have someone in your face (or "safe space") you have a right to physically keep them from you especially if you're backed against something and cant get away.
If you can back up and create a safe space you need to do it, showing a willingness to de-escalate a possibly violent situation.
The police in our city told us this when asked about the ("no touch") zero tolerance rule.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
your fellow brother,
k-loader

ManInBrown

You’re SOL. Fighting is one thing you can not do here. I’ve seen drivers do the absolute dumbest sheet you can imagine, and all got their jobs back. I could tell a story right now of a guy who just came back off a 3 month forced vacation and you’d be amazed at what he did, and he’s back working as of last week.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
You’re SOL. Fighting is one thing you can not do here. I’ve seen drivers do the absolute dumbest sheet you can imagine, and all got their jobs back. I could tell a story right now of a guy who just came back off a 3 month forced vacation and you’d be amazed at what he did, and he’s back working as of last week.

What’d he do?

F

Frankie's Friend

Yeah sure.
A steward I know has a copy of a police report filed on a center manager who yelled that he was going to "fu__ing kill someone" in the office and never lost a day from work even tho it was reported by the oms.

So much for your double standards on violence.