Termination for posting on youtube or facebook

C

chuchu

tgh
Not being a lawyer and having never figured what the meaning of "is" is, the above term in the contract may be applicable:

(7) willful, wanton or malicious damage to the Employers property shall be dischargeable offenses without the necessity of a warning letter being in effect."

"Property" has been extended in the legal sense in the courts and upheld to apply to Intellectual Property and other assets such as Brand.

My advice is to not test out the extension concept and become a target.
They better be ready to expose themselves to open litigation in a public arena when they fire someone for talking about real incidents that happened at work, some of which constitute violence and other unlawful issues in the workplace. Being a legend in your own mind sometimes makes yourself vulnerable. It is preferred to only pick a fight when you know you can win it. Have a nice day.

C

chuchu

Has anyone been fired or disciplined for something they wrote on BC? That would be an interesting revelation. It is best practice for companies who have glass houses not to start a rock throwing contest.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
tghThey better be ready to expose themselves to open litigation in a public arena when they fire someone for talking about real incidents that happened at work, some of which constitute violence and other unlawful issues in the workplace. Being a legend in your own mind sometimes makes yourself vulnerable. It is preferred to only pick a fight when you know you can win it. Have a nice day.

I have not offered an opinion or stance on this and I do not represent the company.

I see a lot of "locker room lawyers" on here offering a lot of bad advice.

I encouraged people to be aware and not be misled by these locker room lawyers or other people who find the courage they lack in real life by offering bold, reckless suggestions to others that they would never follow themselves.

Peace and hope you have a nice day too Shih Zhu.

HULKAMANIA

Funny thing is the Diad V is suppose to have a camera. UH OH does that mean we are going to be fired if we use it? Personally I dont want a stupid camera on the thing. Menotyou is that true about the IP address? If thats true and Im not saying its not cause I dont know, but if so then arent they being hypocritical? OH WAIT its UPS management sorry thats a big fat DUH! Seriously though how can they have a rule about that when they are spying on your PERSONAL space?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Has anyone been fired or disciplined for something they wrote on BC? That would be an interesting revelation. It is best practice for companies who have glass houses not to start a rock throwing contest.
I got fired for posting pictures on here, NOT KIDDING!

browned out

UPS is free to come up with whatever "code of conduct" they like, but for a termination to be upheld it must comply with the applicable contract language.

In my region (West) that would be Art 28 WRSA which states...."No employee shall suffer suspension or discharge without the employee having been given a warning notice.............in cases of (1) proven dishonesty; (2) drinking of alcoholic beverages while on duty; (3) recklessness resulting in a serious accident while on duty;(4) the carrying of unauthorized passengers; (5) unprovoked assault on an employee or supervisory employee while on duty; (6) selling, transporting or use of illegal narcotics while in the employement of the Employer; or (7) willful, wanton or malicious damage to the Employers property shall be dischargeable offenses without the necessity of a warning letter being in effect."

Nothing in there about Facebook. Nothing in there about YouTube. Nothing in there about some "code of conduct" posted on UPSers.com. I would agree that UPS has the right to limit or prohibit photography or videotapes on its private property, and it certainly has the right to prohibit employees who are on the clock from using their cellphones to access the internet, but any violations of such rules would require the isuance of a warning letter prior to a suspension or termination.

That is much better language than what we have in our supplement. Most of it is the same except for this (i) other serious offenses (this is abused by the company in our region and is used whenever the company wants to terminate someone when they have no real case.

Last edited:
C

chuchu

I have not offered an opinion or stance on this and I do not represent the company.

I see a lot of "locker room lawyers" on here offering a lot of bad advice.

I encouraged people to be aware and not be misled by these locker room lawyers or other people who find the courage they lack in real life by offering bold, reckless suggestions to others that they would never follow themselves.

Peace and hope you have a nice day too Shih Zhu.
The response was not aimed at you personally if it came across that way. My response was aimed at a group of people who think they can do whatever they want to whenever they want to. Peace to you too Hoaky buddy.