terrible vacation picks

Cementups

Box Monkey
we have a driver that takes 4 weeks in a row right after school lets out for the summer and then his other 2 spread out. I couldn't do that. I spread my 5 weeks out over the months of March--October. But that stretch from October to March is a longggggg wait. I won't take off Jan-March since there's really not much I can do with my time off since it's too damn cold to golf.

DorkHead

This is what seniority is all about. Deal with it. You younger guys, quit whining. Pay your dues like us old farts did.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I have started my 25th year this year and with the bumps into my building, I won't get a summer week this year !! It sux,,but you gottah roll with the punches !! there is allllways sick days wink wink...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This is what seniority is all about. Deal with it. You younger guys, quit whining. Pay your dues like us old farts did.

Best post ever

No it's a terrible post. This is what's wrong with the whole system. I sit right in the middle. I can usually get a summer week or two but my no means can I pick exactly what weeks I want.

No one NEEDS 6+ weeks of summer vacation. I don't realize what the big deal is about picking 2-3 weeks then going thru the whole list.

I had to wait and so should you is the dumbest reason ever. Like when my dad used to tell me no and I would ask why and he would say just because you need to be told no sometimes.

ibleedbrown

i have been at ups 16 years and have accrued 5 weeks of vacation. if i qualify for full time what happens to my vacations? do i still have 5 weeks or do i go back down? i work in llinois local 705 if that helps..

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
i have been at ups 16 years and have accrued 5 weeks of vacation. if i qualify for full time what happens to my vacations? do i still have 5 weeks or do i go back down? i work in llinois local 705 if that helps..

No offense but 16 years in and u don't know?

All vacation is based on total company time. It's likely that your first year driving you won't get to take them all and will just get paid extra.

Even though u keep your weeks you'll be the last one to pick if you go full time.

ibleedbrown

no offense taken, i have driver friends that have told me the same about vacations. i was just double checking because working at ups 16 yrs and i have heard everything under the sun even the union stewards don't have for sure answers for my questions concerning vaca, pension etc etc.

You will continue to accrue weeks based on your hire date and years of service. Your first year of driving you'll be allowed to take the weeks at the time you picked them in PT. the next year, your first pick as a FT, you will get your accrued weeks but pick in FT seniority order.

705 also out of CACH.

DorkHead

No it's a terrible post. This is what's wrong with the whole system. I sit right in the middle. I can usually get a summer week or two but my no means can I pick exactly what weeks I want.

No one NEEDS 6+ weeks of summer vacation. I don't realize what the big deal is about picking 2-3 weeks then going thru the whole list.

I had to wait and so should you is the dumbest reason ever. Like when my dad used to tell me no and I would ask why and he would say just because you need to be told no sometimes.

You may think it is a dumb reason but the truth is it IS the reason. Deal with it, quit whining and don`t tell me I don`t need six weeks of vacation. I EARNED IT. End of story.

Re-Raise

Ps, IF you go driving and they tell you your not allowed the weeks you pick as a PT

That is what I thought. I can't see them letting you take weeks off that you picked while in a different job classification, but you sound like you have some experience on the subject.

Re-Raise

I get 7 weeks and I spread them out every 5 weeks from March until Oct. The only summer week I care about is the week after the fourth of July so I can play in the main event in Vegas.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
\

You are right. Nobody needs six weeks of vacation in the summer. However, because of the seniority system, some can pick six weeks of summer vacation. Deal with it.

Ever since I hit six weeks, I've taken one in May, two in July, one in late August, one in late October and my last after Christmas (our vacations start in May here). I think that has been fair for me and lower seniority drivers.

This year, half of May and all of June and I'm gone. If I screwed anybody out of a week, too bad.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I get 5 weeks. First one is next week--nothing planned--just need a break. The remaining weeks all have at least one holiday built in for the extra money.

Not arguing with you by any means, especially since I am one that is usually on your side, but you would prefer to get "an extra days pay" rather than an extra day off from this place? I always viewed it as screwing yourself out of one of the 8 extra days off that they grant us. You're getting paid for that day no matter what so why not enjoy it as an off day. In the end, to each their own.

Not arguing with you by any means, especially since I am one that is usually on your side, but you would prefer to get "an extra days pay" rather than an extra day off from this place? I always viewed it as screwing yourself out of one of the 8 extra days off that they grant us. You're getting paid for that day no matter what so why not enjoy it as an off day. In the end, to each their own.
more days away from that place!!!Why would anone want to work an extra 2 or 3 days a year!!!