Thanksgiving

moreluck

golden ticket member
What To Do With Thanksgiving Leftovers.........

Seal them in concrete and call it a time capsule. Send it to the Smithsonian with instructions to open in 3004.

Mix some Elmer's glue into the mashed potatoes and use as spackle.

Fill potholes in bumpy roads.

Stick broccoli and celery sticks in potting soil and display as rare and exotic bonsai.

Whittle turkey ribs into reusable toothpicks.

Use as practice ammunition for that all-important Christmas food fight at your brother's house.

Freeze in little bags and save for Halloween next year. Hand them out as prizes for "least-tasteful costume" and "oldest trick or-treater."

Glue olives, celery sticks, etc. to create clever and whimsical figurines. Sell at local craft fairs as Christmas presents.

Put leftovers in boxes and wrap with festive holiday paper. Leave on the sidewalk for slow-witted, unsuspecting criminals.

Place it in your garden plot to create a juicy compost for next year's vegetable crop.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
hey , Hey now I am using my ironing board for the buffet, what else is it for???? And I keep the beer outside in the Big fridge.....Oh my God I am a redneck.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Tooner.....we escaped "redneck-hood" the year we invested in one of those fold up cafa-gym-a-torium tables. Comes in handy several times a year and stores flat against a garage wall. We've used it for yard sales too....damm, that puts us back in "redneck-world".

moreluck

golden ticket member
Thanksgiving Explained by Jonathan.....

All of America is known for celebrating the holiday of Thanksgiving, or as it is known outside the United States, "Thursday." Families separated for months or years will reunite, and shortly afterwards remember why they separated. In a darkened gymnasium Richard Simmons will run his revenue projections, and consider buying a small Caribbean island. Throughout the nation, those wretched souls condemned to the public school system will breathe a bit easier, eager in their anticipation of four days surcease from education. (The students are pretty happy about it, too.)
Yet running through this gaiety is an undercurrent of bewilderment. In this decadent age we live in, far too many of our unlettered countrymen think Plymouth Rock a music style from the 70's, or the Mayflower a potpourri ingredient. Accordingly, in the best traditions of journalistic public service and overweening arrogance, my column this frosty morn shall be dedicated to answering your questions about Thanksgiving.

Q. Gosh, you're right, Jonathan; I, the average reader, am dumb as a post. What exactly are the origins of Thanksgiving?

A. Thanksgiving is, of course, a holiday invented by grocers and farmers to allow them to sell huge quantities of disgusting "traditional" foods that no one in his right mind would eat otherwise, such as squash. The average squash is a triumph of minimalism wherein Nature manages to convert mud into a plant without bothering to change its taste and texture. Attempts to improve the mud-like flavor of squash by the addition of delicate seasonings and spices have produced dishes that taste, at best, like delicately seasoned and spiced mud. A master chef, faced with the necessity of making a palatable squash dish, would throw in his funny hat and become a short-order cook at Denny's

Q. That's quite a conspiracy theory. Where do the Black Helicopters fit it?

A. They transport the squash.

Q. I should have guessed. But seriously, what are the origins of Thanksgiving?

A. The first Thanksgiving was a celebration of gratitude by a group of early English settlers known as the Pilgrims. The Pilgrims were Separatists who had come to the New World to practice their religion without government interference, and since the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms did not exist at the time they were allowed to do so.

Unfortunately, the Pilgrims neglected to acquire a few skills (such as elementary agronomy) before setting off on their voyage, and as result nearly starved. The local Indians, who at the time were practicing their ancient sustenance methods of hunting, fishing, and giving large donations to Democratic politicians, took pity on the Pilgrims and taught them to farm the native flora. In a display of appreciation, when the first harvest was taken in the Pilgrims held a huge feast and invited the Indians over for dinner, after which they all fell asleep on couches while watching football.

Q. OK, but when did Thanksgiving become a national holiday?

A. Thanksgiving Day was adopted as an annual holiday by New York State in 1817, marking the first official celebration of Thanksgiving as a regular event, and the last time a New Yorker said "thank you" for anything. In 1863, President Lincoln appointed a national day of thanksgiving, and every subsequent president has followed suit.

Q. Even Bill Clinton?

A. Yes, but only after focus group polling showed that a popularity rating loss of 23% among turkeys would be more than offset by a 31% gain among poultry farmers.

Q. Speaking of turkeys, is it true that Ben Franklin thought the turkey should have been our national bird instead of the eagle?

A. Ben Franklin was indeed a proponent of the turkey as our national bird. Since he was a member of the Hellfire Club at the time, though, his motives were somewhat suspect.

It must be kept in mind that the modern domestic turkey bears little resemblance to its feral ancestors. The wild turkey is a cunning and elusive survivor, a challenging quarry for the most skilled of hunters. Farm turkeys, on the other hand, have been selectively inbred for generations in an attempt to improve flavor and increase breast meat production. These efforts have had numerous side effects on the birds in question, including reduced intelligence, difficulty in maintaining balance, and the creation of the Spice Girls.

Q. Is there a final message you would like to give to your readers on this Thanksgiving Day?

A. Enjoy your Thanksgiving dinner. You can have my squash.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Who ever said 36 buck for 10 has never had to buy 5 gallons of peanut oil.

Just got in from fixing 7 turkeys in a row. Fixed dinner at the church for a bunch of lonely people and it was great. Many are older and just forgotten by their families, some are families that jsut dont have anybody, or people down on life with nothing to their names but the clothes on their back. It was nice for each and every one to not have to worry about anything for a while but what was for desert.

With all my self preceived problems, I am truely blessed.

Now it is off to a friends house to fix two more there for his family. Supper there at 6.

d

moreluck

golden ticket member
How To Liven Up Thanksgiving Dinner

Open the oven, shove hunks of velveeta into the turkey while it
cooks. Tell mom it adds the coolest flavor.

Shoot olive pits at Grampa's glasses (just pinch them in your
fingers and they FLY!!)

Whenever someone at the table says a word beginning with the
letter R, make a loud "BUZZ"ing noise.

Bring along old recorded football games, pop them in the VCR when
Dad's not looking.

Suck your cranberry sauce loudly through a straw.

Bring a date that only talks about her/his spouse at home.

Hold your nose while you eat.

Recite the tragic and abusive conditions known to exist at turkey
farms.

Mid-meal turn to mom and say, "See mom, I told you they wouldn't
notice, you were worried for nothing".

Load your plate up high, then take it to the kitchen, toss it all
in the blender, and take your "shake" back to the table.

Announce that you've got a new fear of choking.

When you arrive, promise that your date won't be more than an
hour late, he/she just has to wait for the warden to get together
all the necessary release forms, and then they are free to go.

Twitch a lot and nervously tell the person next to you, "THE
SAFETY IS ON", while you hold your pocket.

wkmac

moreluck said:
we escaped "redneck-hood" the year we invested in one of those fold up cafa-gym-a-torium tables.

We moved into redneck-hood by getting a 3/4" sheet of plywood and 2 saw horses with empty drywall mud backets for seats. Ah the good life!
Oh, and the saw horses fold up to so our table stores easy as well.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Here's a side dish idea !!

Brandy-Glazed Carrots
exps143850_BHR143425B05_20_4b.jpg

Carrots sport a light brandy sauce for a beautiful side with mass appeal. —Tammy Landry, Saucier, Mississippi

12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Ingredients
  • 3 pounds fresh baby carrots
  • 1/2 cup butter, cubed
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup brandy
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Directions
  • In a large skillet, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add carrots.
  • Cover and cook for 5-9 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and set
  • aside.
  • In the same skillet, cook butter and honey over medium heat until
  • butter is melted. Remove from heat; stir in brandy. Bring to a boil;
  • cook until liquid is reduced to about 1/2 cup. Add the carrots,
  • parsley, salt and pepper; heat through. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup
  • each).

moreluck

golden ticket member
Another side dish idea....

Alfredo Rice Casserole
exps47110_THCA1917912A02_08_6bC.jpg

Rice lovers won’t be able to get enough of this creamy, comforting casserole. Substitute a mushroom Alfredo or three-cheese sauce for equally delicious results.—Aysha Schurman, Ammon, Idaho

5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Ingredients
  • 1-1/3 cups refrigerated Alfredo sauce
  • 1 cup cooked brown rice
  • 1 cup cooked wild rice
  • 1 cup marinated quartered artichoke hearts, chopped
  • 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
  • 2 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
  • 1/4 cup chicken broth
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients.
  • Transfer to a greased 8-in.-square baking dish.
  • Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 5 servings.
To Make Ahead: Cook rice and bacon ahead of time and refrigerate for up to 3 days.

I hear they are good.....but I love the smell of the house when Thanksgiving dinner is cooking. I cook a large dinner whether anyone is coming or not.
I just make that,as a bonus turkey. We have thanksgiving at our house. My wife usually makes two turkeys.

One ,a day early. Makes gravy with it. . Then she cooks the bones and leftovers and makes wedding soup.

moreluck

golden ticket member
The star of the day is usually turkey.......but picking the side dishes can be frustrating. Here's another idea. Check out the Taste of Home site...they have plenty of ideas.

Corn Pudding
exps31278_BOS2930251B_10_23_6b.jpg

The pleasing flavor of this golden corn pudding side dish makes it real comfort food. And because the recipe calls for a packaged corn mix, it’s easy to prepare. —P. Lauren Fay-Neri, Syracuse, New York

8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
  • 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
  • 1/2 cup 2% milk
  • 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar
  • until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after
  • each addition. Beat in sour cream. Gradually add muffin mix
  • alternately with milk. Fold in corn.
  • Pour into a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, 45-50 minutes
  • or until set and lightly browned. Yield: 8 servings.

Read more: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/corn-pudding#ixzz3IagbWw8h