The Ballad of the Cover Driver

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
"I know xxx is on vacation, so I called the center just to make sure you'd show up for my pickup...they said they wanted to charge me!!!$$$???)

Says the business that has an arrangement with the regular driver - they don't have a pickup in the board.

Luckily I've done the route before.
Yeah that's a big nono. When I was a cover guy on 2 routes there were 2 businesses that expected free scheduled pickups.
I would have skipped them and told them to call the 800 number but sadly both bid drivers and the businesses were cool.

BrownChoice

Good way to get fired too. All it takes in one person making a sexual harassment claim and you're done. You don't poop where you eat is the basic saying.

All it takes is someone to over-hear what you said and for them to call in. Seen it happen. Driver did get his job back but got a 3 or 4 week unpaid vacation.

It was directed toward a female receptionist and a guy who worked there had a crush on the girl over-heard the joke between the driver and the girl (they had known eachother for a few years and both joked with eachother from time to time) and he called in a sexual harassment concern, even though it was not serious at all.

Point is like others above have said, do NOT even remotely joke around because many drivers do get fired and most do not get their job back. All it takes is some Richard Cranium to be a sissy and call.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'm almost at 10 years seniority, and that gives me enough juice to bid one of the worst 'hood routes in New England. And nothing more.

We'll be cover driving for a while, BrownArmy. :D