The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I personally know very few fulltimers that left UPS and did better, more like lateral or less.
They're surviving and are gainfully employed but there are very few occupations that will pay you $38/hour, about $60/hour in ot and take care of your insurance.
At least in NC this is the case.
I never said they did better. I said they did fine.

They provided plenty for their families and they got to spend a ton more time with them.

Undertow

Perfect. This is the time to catch up on any bills/debt, stack your 401K, or put away money for a nice little nest egg. I fully intend to take this scumbag organization for every cent I can. We are literally writing our own paychecks in my building since April of last year. Done at 7pm and want some OT? Send a message on the DIAD. Go take 15 stops from another driver and bring it in 10 minutes before your DOT hours run out. They are begging us to come in on Saturdays as well. Chaos. Pure chaos.
I haven't seen it quite that rough for a few years here, but I do remember back in 2017 there was a sort of "perfect storm" where we had a sky high rate of drivers out on comp with volume almost 20% higher than what it had been 12 months prior. Had somebody told me in January of that year that I'd finish December with 4 weeks straight of working nearly 70 hours with only Sunday off, I wouldn't have believed it.

Those scenarios come and go, but it's difficult to really predict when they are going to hit. At least in the month of April, it's light out after 7pm and the outside temperature often isn't too hot or cold.

Karma...

Its cheaper to pay the OT ...package cars and spaces cost and remember that over ( I believe ) 40 hours 0 goes into health, welfare, pensions etc....I could be wrong.......why this continues ?......imagine your pension if it did......you probably wouldn't be paying all that medical after retirement.........

ManInBrown

I remember putting in 60 hour weeks during peak with no 9.5 protection. Those 4-5 weeks were hell. By Wednesday-Thursday I could barely get out of bed in the morning.

Est.1998

Wouldn’t have it any other way. They’ve been trying to give me 8 and skates and I turn them down every time.
I was walking out with a buddy that went the feeder route and he was telling me, UPS is just giving us free money you need to come over.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
I was walking out with a buddy that went the feeder route and he was telling me, UPS is just giving us free money you need to come over.
Senior guy told me when I first came up, “don’t steal time. You ain’t gotta steal time. They’ll shove money in your pocket for you.”

Come on over, buddy. The waters fine.

quad decade guy

I feel the worst for my wife who has basically been a full time single parent while working 45-50 hours herself.
Ok.

But this is nothing new.....

It's been like this for the last 30 years around here. I had a heavy industrial route with 60 pickups and 50-75 residential left AFTER pickups.....every day. It was like that for 15 years. I never got home before 9-9:30 pm. Feeders basically the same. 58-60 hrs a week.
Every week. Work and sleep. Automotive was a cake walk. I even joined softball, soccer and ice hockey teams. ran and worked out every day up to and including flying and water skiing. Attended college at night or day depending on the shift. Work/life balance is possible depending on what job you have at UPS. And for those that say "I do it" given all above^......ok. If you ever go sleepers, you can forget any kind of fitness and is absolutely the most money but the worst for your health. The money is not enough.

quad decade guy

Senior guy told me when I first came up, “don’t steal time. You ain’t gotta steal time. They’ll shove money in your pocket for you.”

Come on over, buddy. The waters fine.
Where is stealing time standard procedure. He was inferring that this happens regularly where? Like people taking an hour to detail their tractor or polish their shoes? That sort of thing?

Est.1998

Oh? Free? I'm in feeders....it ain't "free". Working overnight and 60 hours? What am I missing?
He said a few times he had to wait for other drivers to meet him and that wait took up to 2 hours. If you're on the clock for two hours getting paid to wait, sounds like easy money compared to hoping in and out the truck 30 times.

Est.1998

Ok.

But this is nothing new.....

It's been like this for the last 30 years around here. I had a heavy industrial route with 60 pickups and 50-75 residential left AFTER pickups.....every day. It was like that for 15 years. I never got home before 9-9:30 pm. Feeders basically the same. 58-60 hrs a week.
Every week. Work and sleep. Automotive was a cake walk. I even joined softball, soccer and ice hockey teams. ran and worked out every day up to and including flying and water skiing. Attended college at night or day depending on the shift. Work/life balance is possible depending on what job you have at UPS. And for those that say "I do it" given all above^......ok. If you ever go sleepers, you can forget any kind of fitness and is absolutely the most money but the worst for your health. The money is not enough.
Are you stating that once a driver goes to sleepers, they're unable to eat right?
That body weight exercises like push-ups, squats, and walking/running for an hour a day isn't an option?

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
He said a few times he had to wait for other drivers to meet him and that wait took up to 2 hours. If you're on the clock for two hours getting paid to wait, sounds like easy money compared to hoping in and out the truck 30 times.
I get sent to the rail yard to pick up a load and the train isn’t even at the terminal yet. Then it’s another 1-2 hours before they get it off the train. This is a daily occurrence.