The drones are here

dmac1

UPS got approval to use drones

I think it makes sense to use drones for the remote locations, but that is exactly where bubba will shoot them down. Also not sure of the range capability, but I delivered in an area where 10-40 mile roundtrips from a main highway to make 1 delivery were not uncommon. 5-10 miles of the circuit was very common. I don't think UPS was approved to make residential deliveries yet, but did read that they intend to 'fully integrate' the use of drones into their service.

bacha29

I think it makes sense to use drones for the remote locations, but that is exactly where bubba will shoot them down. Also not sure of the range capability, but I delivered in an area where 10-40 mile roundtrips from a main highway to make 1 delivery were not uncommon. 5-10 miles of the circuit was very common. I don't think UPS was approved to make residential deliveries yet, but did read that they intend to 'fully integrate' the use of drones into their service.
You know Bubba's philosophy when it come to personal weaponry .......If you can't bring down a helicopter with it......it isn't worth having....Drones ? They won't even find those sporting .

moreluck

golden ticket member

They actually got approved as a drone airline...….bigger!!

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

That should be interesting to see those drones deliver the 125 lb flat packed furniture, or the mattress in a box. Lol.

Nolimitz

So how long does it take for a drone to fly 10-40 miles while your sitting on your :censored2: waiting for it to return to your truck? surely if you have those types of deliveries you are a ways away from any station/hub/depot what ever you want to call it

dmac1

So how long does it take for a drone to fly 10-40 miles while your sitting on your :censored2: waiting for it to return to your truck? surely if you have those types of deliveries you are a ways away from any station/hub/depot what ever you want to call it

Couldn't you go make some deliveries and program it to return to the terminal, or maybe where you will be in 40 minutes? And I had deliveries on one of my routes that were as far from the town I was delivering in as it was to the terminal. Kind of a triangle- 15 miles from the town, then 15 miles down the road, and maybe 17 miles back to the terminal. And where I live now, there is a Express terminal, and I am sure that there are deliveries that could be made out on some farm roads where few peope live for much cheaper than sending out a separate vehicle. I used to have deliveries up 20 miles to a ranger station on a mountain in a national forest, and even if I had to wait, it would still be faster than driving the winding twisting roads, especially when they were snow or ice covered.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

You keep working

It’ll find you

dmac1

Next up on required equipment for contractors- multiple drones so fedex can keep up with the competition, because of customer 'requirement' like the requirement to use a scanner so customers can track their packages.

And if fedex ground starts using drones, do they then become an airline???? Probably doesn't matter, because at that point there won't be need for contractors. Fedex can just say bye-bye to all contractors due a a change in their business model. drones can't form a union.

vantexan

I doubt drivers/couriers will ever carry drones around. Most likely will be launched from and returned to the warehouse/building/station.

dmac1

I doubt drivers/couriers will ever carry drones around. Most likely will be launched from and returned to the warehouse/building/station.

In a large part of the country, terminals would be too far for a drone flight to get to the delivery location. But drones could make it more reasonable to set up locations wherever there is a small airport and fly drones from there. I'm thinking of one of my old service areas about 50 miles from the terminal that had a small airport, and most of the deliveries outside the town itself required maybe 10 miles of driving each on average, and as much as 1 hour or much more between stops. I could manage an average of maybe 40-50 stops while driving 350 miles, in about 9 hours of driving after a couple years learning all the back roads, logging roads, forest service roads and unnamed, unmaintained private roads.. When I left, my replacements kept getting fired for maybe doing 25 a day including the 10-20 in town deliveries on a daily basis. Most of those rural deliveries were withing a 10 mile radius of the airport, but would require a lot of driving. Frones would probably be cheaper, as long as GPS was decent. It is easily possible that even after paying for the drone, a contractor could save money 4-5 drones at the airfield could do the work twice as fast.

SmithBarney

Gee I wonder why the GPS location shows it right here above Bubba's house? and the 7 high def navigation cameras transmitted images showing Bubba P Jones clearly shooting at our drone, hello FAA.... I think the shooting out of the sky arguments are not vary valid, now I wouldn't rule out radio interference/jamming/hacking to cause chaos..