The dust is your problem!

Packmule

Finished last week with two rural customers telling me to slow down on gravel roads near their house to reduce dust. On one I was at the posted 15 MPH when he wants me at 5 or 7.
Thing is as more non agricultural people more out into that country home, UPS's operating costs go up. Our state has always been a red ink state, relying on far more urban areas to keep the company solvent.
I like my rural route, but how much higher of rates should city customers pay become some country fool in half million dollar house is too cheap to spray the road near their house.
I want to tell them "you choose this location, buttercup! Suck it up!"
Just sounding off.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is where Telematics is your friend. Keep it at or just below the speed limit and slow down a bit more when you get near their homes. Make sure to tell your on-car what is going on so that they will know to pull the Telematics if and when they call in a concern.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Give lip service and speed away. The worst is when you have to stop near the end and the dust blows back towards you!

Packmule

We have a truck running around with some kind of chemical spray for dust. Someone said it was mag water. Don't know what is in it, but works for about a year. Then needs to be resprayed.

Packmule

15 MPH on a gravel road? Is this a private development because my states speed limit on rural gravel roads is 45 or 50 MPH.
That particular one is private. County roads are like you say, 45 to 50. And I have to clean my glasses off to see the 15 MPH sign when I turn off!

wornoutupser

Down here it is sugar sand roads. My ctn has had many stuck trucks in the past two weeks.
Can you send some of that gravel to Florida?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I've inherited a few cars from other places that might help with the dust issue. I hate oil leaks, but they all take a while before I can fix them.

rod

Retired 22 years
These are the same idiots who build a million dollar house next to a pig farm and complain about the smell. Go the speed limit if its safe.