The dust is your problem!

barnyard

KTM rider
I like my rural route, but how much higher of rates should city customers pay become some country fool in half million dollar house is too cheap to spray the road near their house.

There are several levels of rural surcharges to pay for that. I doubt that they cover the costs, but it does cost more to ship to my daughter in middle of nowhere Montana, than it does to my other daughter in somewhat urban Eastern Washington.

rod

Retired 22 years
Cannot do that in many counties in my state. Happened too many times and county boards that have farmers on them, got the ordinances passed.

The trouble is you can be a long ways from a large pig farm and still have "smell" problems if the wind is right. Another example is the person who buys close to a racetrack and the complains about the noise. There is a military training base close to where I live and sometimes when the are really getting it on shooting the BIG guns they can rattle the windows of houses (day and night) 20+ miles away. The camp gets their share of complaints also. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred the complainers are the idiots who sold their mansion in one of the wealthy suburbs of Minneapolis and had moved up north for the peace and quiet. Those days are over around here-----they should have moved farther north..

PT Car Washer

The trouble is you can be a long ways from a large pig farm and still have "smell" problems if the wind is right. Another example is the person who buys close to a racetrack and the complains about the noise. There is a military training base close to where I live and sometimes when the are really getting it on shooting the BIG guns they can rattle the windows of houses (day and night) 20+ miles away. The camp gets their share of complaints also. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred the complainers are the idiots who sold their mansion in one of the wealthy suburbs of Minneapolis and had moved up north for the peace and quiet. Those days are over around here-----they should have moved farther north..
Shot a lot of those big guns at Camp Ripley. Both 105 mm M1 and 120 mm M1A2 MBT. Also called for fire 155 mm SP artillery. Good times.

barnyard

KTM rider
The trouble is you can be a long ways from a large pig farm and still have "smell" problems if the wind is right

I used to live down the road from a 500 sow farrowing facility. I almost, I say, almost, took a job at the Southern Experiment Station hog facility when I graduated. Not a fan of the smell, so I did not.

They taste so good, but smell so bad.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I slow down to a crawl on gravel roads if people are walking or riding horses on them. Otherwise, its 25 mph and too bad about the dust. My route delivers in 3 counties, one of them has mainly gravel roads while the other two have them paved. The roads will switch from one surface to the other at the county line. The county with gravel roads has significantly lower property taxes than the ones that are paved, so its a case of getting what you pay for. Country living means dust and bugs and critters, and if that is a problem then move back to town.

clean hairy

Texas raceway Dragstrip in Kennedale, tx. Along with Cowtown Speedway right across the street, and Kennedale Speedway Park right next door to Cowtown.
Check out Google aerial of these tracks, folks are building close to them and complaining about the noise.
You should also see a house that was built maybe 1,000 feet from the dragstrip, and they are raising a big stink with the city about the noise!
The city of Kennedale got Cowtown shut down after being there 49 yrs.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Local speedway near here suffered the same fate. Pacific Raceways periodically get complaints by the same types. The previous owner would remind them that it was zoned to be a gravel pit. That would silence them.

UPS4Life

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
in California dirt roads must be sprayed or watered to keep down dust if they are near crops.

dust damages crops and carry parasites too.

you sounding off. me hear you.