The future of Brown Cafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Just for the XenForo software it goes from $60-$250 a month and I believe it's upwards of $300+ a year for server space to run a forum. Now there are free forum software out there I'm sure but this is not.
That’s not that expensive.

That doesn't count the tech involvement. That's the real expense.
Plus amount of time that you have to invest in running a website.

If somebody takes over this place is probably because of the money it's because they want to do it.

Maybe they can turn it around a little bit and find a way to make some extra money.

Johney

Plus amount of time that you have to invest in running a website.

If somebody takes over this place is probably because of the money it's because they want to do it.

Maybe they can turn it around a little bit and find a way to make some extra money.
There really isn't that much time involved in running it especially if you have moderator's which this one has plenty. They do it on their own free will. The time is the IT guy which is also the biggest cost.

Johney

I think you're making it sound a little bit easier than it actually is
I had a website/forum at one time so yea I do kinda know. My son who is a computer science major did all my IT work for me and it wasn't really time consuming for him just every now and then there would be a glitch which he would fix. You ever have a website?

UnionStrong

I think you're making it sound a little bit easier than it actually is
It sounds daunting because we don’t know how to do it. The younger members know way more about it. I say we get behind whoever wants to give it a go, kick in some money. If not, it’s over. But we should try.

I had a website/forum at one time so yea I do kinda know. My son who is a computer science major did all my IT work for me and it wasn't really time consuming for him just every now and then there would be a glitch which he would fix. You ever have a website?
No I did not. Like I said I don't know what's involved with all of it but I'm sure it's a little harder than everyone's making it seem to be.

It sounds daunting because we don’t know how to do it. The younger members know way more about it. I say we get behind whoever wants to give it a go, kick in some money. If not, it’s over. But we should try.
Absolutely. If someone wants to continue Cheryl's legacy there are many of us out here that will try to help out.

UnionStrong

I’ve spoken to some tech savvy youngsters, and what I heard seems to bear out what you’re saying.

Johney

No I did not. Like I said I don't know what's involved with all of it but I'm sure it's a little harder than everyone's making it seem to be.
It's really not. As long as you have an IT guy,someone to pay the bills(server,forum software,etc.)and someone to be an Administrator(they are the one's that have full control of the website, mod's have limited access)then you're good to go. Yes the hardest thing here would be finding someone to be Admin. Once all that is set up as long as there isn't constant IT problems it'll run itself(at least mine did). The big problem here is someone taking it over(if her daughter does not) needs all Cheryl's passwords,billing would have to be changed,etc. Yes taking it over will be hard it may be easier for someone(who want's to take the plunge)to just start a new website.

Status
Not open for further replies.