The Future of Shipping and Delivery

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by ThePackageDeli, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Same-day and 1-day shipping are fundamentally changing the industry-
    improving the norms of today and shaping the expectations of tomorrow.

If Amazon fees are less than the cost to ship UPS, customers from everywhere will ship exclusively through Amazon.

Goodbye UPS.

Sincerely,
    Amazon

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Old Old x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. Luv2gym

Luv2gym New Member

So Amazon is going to ship for Wal-Mart, Target, etc....?

3. rod

rod #1 on Upstates "list"

Probably---and I would bet they wouldn't give those companies a big discount on shipping like UPS does for Amazon. Amazon is smarter than that.

4. WTFm8

WTFm8 Active Member

Yes. Customers are already reporting of Amazon ‘poachers’ trying to steal accounts by guaranteeing an average cost reduction of $5/package.

Overheard a UPS sales rep on a conference call. Everybody was having a good laugh because there’s no way Amazon could hold that promise without knowing what customer is already paying.

5. cosis

cosis Member

Walmart and Target aren't going to use Amazon to ship, that is their competitor.. although they probably will start shifting more to Fedex

6. Poop Head

Poop Head Lovin' every minute of it!

Overheard it while you were under the desk?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. iruhnman630

iruhnman630 Well-Known Member

22.4s to the rescue

8. badpal

badpal Active Member

Thursdays earnings report showed paying for shipping becoming a bigger headache for Amazon. They finding out free overnight shipping aint so cheap.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Just think if the post office and ups would actually charge them what they should be charged.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. wide load

wide load Starting wage is a waste of time.

Lots of packages can fit in those tiny vans huh?

11. Just have to load it correctly1152n12NPMPcmQ.gif

12. Wontmake9.5

Wontmake9.5 My job is fun

We should all just quit. It’s madness I tell ya madness!!!35F05EB6-9C5B-42E5-845F-3A6F2C54173F.gif

13. UPSER1987

UPSER1987 Active Member

Calling bs to this. When and where did you overhear a sales conference call? Such bs on this forum

14. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

They can only offer this on items that are local to that specific customer in their area. This is why not all items on Amazon are prime. So unless Amazon wants to build a warehouse the size of NY in every state and house all items it sells its not going to happen. Thank you for playing, bye bye.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  15. OrioN

OrioN double tap o da horn dooshbag

Yup, FXG in my terminal has an up tick in volume from the blue boxes and target logo boxes and white plastic bags/smalls

Sorry your union is too short sighted to be helping Amazon though

16. WTFm8

WTFm8 Active Member

When I was in managements office doing training. One of the area sales rep for UPS was in the next office diagonal on a call.

17. The Driver

The Driver I drive.

Better sell all your shares of UPS and buy Amazon!

Resign your positions! Amazon's hiring!

18. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Just a turd

Microsoft snags hotly contested $10 billion defense contract, beating out Amazon
    Amazon has bigger problems than trying to put UPS out of business. Their honeypot is drying up

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  19. DumbTruckDriver

DumbTruckDriver Allergic to cardboard.

I’ve already quit UPS and bought a fleet of Amazon vans! It’s gonna be sweet! What could possibly go wrong?

20. Many products will likely never be available for same-day or 1-day shipping, I agree. And consumers will still see an increase in the number of products that ARE available same-day and 1-day which is an improvement any way you look at it for the consumer.

But, I'm talking about shipping costs.

Example:
    Joe orders a shirt from shirts.com and has to pay $11.99 for 2-day shipping. If Joe can order the same shirt from shirt.com's Amazon store and pay $7.99 for 2-day shipping he'll likely do that.

If shirts.com can profit more from selling on Amazon than on their own website, how do you think they'll direct their traffic?

If you extrapolate this concept out to the thousands of e-commerce businesses that Amazon would benefit, we're dealing with a substantial loss of business.