The Future of Shipping and Delivery

Indecisi0n

Many products will likely never be available for same-day or 1-day shipping, I agree. And consumers will still see an increase in the number of products that ARE available same-day and 1-day which is an improvement any way you look at it for the consumer.

But, I'm talking about shipping costs.

Example:
Joe orders a shirt from shirts.com and has to pay $11.99 for 2-day shipping. If Joe can order the same shirt from shirt.com's Amazon store and pay $7.99 for 2-day shipping he'll likely do that.

If shirts.com can profit more from selling on Amazon than on their own website, how do you think they'll direct their traffic?

If you extrapolate this concept out to the thousands of e-commerce businesses that Amazon would benefit, we're dealing with a substantial loss of business.
In this case Amazon is no different than any other competitor . How come FedEx hasn't done this and put us out of business ? Or DHL ? Even if Amazon took a hit to undercut us and lost millions they would still have to raise prices at a later time to make a buck and be right back where they started (minus the millions) . You guys get carried away with this "the sky is falling " when it comes to Amazon . They are a competitor with deep pockets so they are to be watched but they aren't taking over the shipping community any time soon .

ThePackageDeli

In this case Amazon is no different than any other competitor . How come FedEx hasn't done this and put us out of business ? Or DHL ? Even if Amazon took a hit to undercut us and lost millions they would still have to raise prices at a later time to make a buck and be right back where they started (minus the millions) . You guys get carried away with this "the sky is falling " when it comes to Amazon . They are a competitor with deep pockets so they are to be watched but they aren't taking over the shipping community any time soon .
I agree, they aren't taking over the shipping community anytime soon.
I think historically, Fed

I’ve already quit UPS and bought a fleet of Amazon vans! It’s gonna be sweet! What could possibly go wrong?
Amazon training video?
UtM8DmnahknE4.gif

ThePackageDeli

I agree, they aren't taking over the shipping community anytime soon.
I think historically, FedEx has targeted air-service while UPS has championed ground service. Now though, a 3rd player is rising that is focused on ground services maybe more so than FedEx ever did.

rod

Retired 22 years
Many products will likely never be available for same-day or 1-day shipping, I agree. And consumers will still see an increase in the number of products that ARE available same-day and 1-day which is an improvement any way you look at it for the consumer.

But, I'm talking about shipping costs.

Example:
Joe orders a shirt from shirts.com and has to pay $11.99 for 2-day shipping. If Joe can order the same shirt from shirt.com's Amazon store and pay $7.99 for 2-day shipping he'll likely do that.

If shirts.com can profit more from selling on Amazon than on their own website, how do you think they'll direct their traffic?

If you extrapolate this concept out to the thousands of e-commerce businesses that Amazon would benefit, we're dealing with a substantial loss of business.
Shipping on a shirt stuffed in a shipping envelope is probably only 2 or 3 bucks via USPS. Might not be 2 day air but who cares.

rod

Retired 22 years
Not in front of the customer
I've had customers help me do that. It all depends on whats in those things. Not a cool thing to do with John Q. Public walking by though. I usually stacked stuff neatly inside the back door - shut it- and then went inside, out of prying eyes, and threw it all over the place.

rod

Retired 22 years
I had one customer who was the town UPS shipping site who would have a hundred or two Christmas packages waiting for me to pick up during peak. This was before UPS Stores came about. I picked them up through a door in a back ally. Those poor things caught hell.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Blah