The guy that was loading with me stole a package

mr_bennet

we were both logged into the trailer and he like an idiot through the empty box back into the trailer. Is there any way I can be blamed for it? Should I just tell the supervisor? I don't know what to do. why did I have to be put in this kind of situation.

drewed

Shankman
def, you can be held accountable by association if you dont say anything, thats money out the companys pocket as well as yours

upsgrunt

There is also a supposed reward, up to 50k, for the information that leads to a conviction of theft from UPS, but I've never heard of anyone getting any money whatsoever for said information.
It doesn't matter anyway- what's right is right, and what that other guy did aint it!

Last edited:

mslpanthers

There is also a supposed reward, up to 50k, for the information that leads to a conviction of theft from UPS, but I've never heard of anyone getting any money whatsoever for said information.
It doesn't matter anyway- what's right is right, and what that other guy did aint it!

It's up to 5k at my hub, but the most they've said people have ever received is $1,000

mr_bennet

I've thought it out and talked it out with other ppl and what you guys say makes sense. The only way to correct this situation is to tell my full time sup.

Def need to say something - witnessing it and not saying anything makes you just as guilty - have seen numerous people lose jobs in my building for that, show steward included.

yep, ya gotta do sometime.Be honest but cover your own butt. If you did not actually see him take something from the box you don't know if he stole anything, false accusations are pretty risky. I would tell the sup that "joe" threw an empty package back in the trailer. That is the truth.
Keep your eyes open when "joe" is around and if you see anymore empty packages set them aside and when the sup comes around point them out to him/her.
Stealing packages or contents is a vey serious matter. Sure one may get away with it at first or once in a while but the thief will usually get caught. One's job and good name are not worth the temporary gain.

Oh, and by the way. If anyone comes on here about "Not ratting out a Brother", DO NOT listen to that crap. No Brother of mine is a thief.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We have a supplements business on the rte that I did yesterday. This is a big business and it is nothing to have 10 or 20k worth of cod's for them. Yesterday my sup met me at this del and come to find out one of there pkgs had 'broken' open on the preload. My sup pulled out a smalls bag full of bottles of Ephedrin. The sup stayed while they (he and the rcv) counted the bottles. I haven't heard if any went missing but obviously my sup wanted to know if someone on preload walked away with any. That was a cod pkg worth thousands of dollars and we all know what Ephedrin is used to make.

To the point, Mr B you have no idea what was in that box. It could have been anything, even someones Rx that may save their life. Someone else paid for that pkg. Report it.

feeder53

ADKtrails
Is it worth the haunting and looking over ones shoulder for such a chance. I would report it and if they ask why the delay I would be honest and tell them.

mr_bennet

My mother spoke to me about this morning and what she said made a lot of sense. She said that since I didn't say anything at the exact moment he took the contents that makes it his word against mine since I don't have any proof he took it. Also, she said that since I don't know how the management handles those situations I might not want to take the risk of being labeled a snitch and if that happened I would have to quit my job any way. I work at UPS in downtown Chicago and this is a big possibility.

So the way I'm going to handle it is wait and see if they something about missing contents in a package to me and if they do I'll just tell them the whole situation. Either way Im gonna tell the guy that the next time he decides to steal something he should do it in a trailer I'm not logged into because he would give me no other choice but to tell the sup.

over9five

Staff member
You've just made yourself an "accessory after the fact" (a person who knowingly conceals or assists another who has committed a felony).

Mom may be right, it is kinda late to report this, but....

If you decide to go this route, DO NOT say anything to the guy who stole the package! If he ever does it again and gets caught, he might mention you as someone who knew he was stealing. And then you're gone too. Better that he doesn't know that you know...

Never mention this again.

mr_bennet

You've just made yourself an "accessory after the fact" (a person who knowingly conceals or assists another who has committed a felony).

Mom may be right, it is kinda late to report this, but....

If you decide to go this route, DO NOT say anything to the guy who stole the package! If he ever does it again and gets caught, he might mention you as someone who knew he was stealing. And then you're gone too. Better that he doesn't know that you know...

Never mention this again.
I never thought of it that way. My first month on the job and I've already been put in 1 of the hardest situations I've ever had to deal with. This sucks.

tieguy

Banned
I never thought of it that way. My first month on the job and I've already been put in 1 of the hardest situations I've ever had to deal with. This sucks.

not really that hard at all. It comes down to what is right and what is wrong. I'm sorry mom did not reinforce that point.

You go in today and have a quiet conversation with the sup and tell him/her what you saw. Or you call the 1-800 number .

We don't necessarily expect you to come running out of the trailer yelling thief the second it happened. You do need to hurry up and say something to someone. Chances are good the empty box has been discovered and the LP folks in your building alerted. Your in danger of becoming an accessory after the fact and getting fired for it.

Don't worry about the snitch issue. The snitch term is a means of developing an honor bond amongst thieves. There should be no honor shown towards a thief.

But right now your personal reputation, your honor and your integrity is being challenged. there is only one right answer if you are a man of integrity. Don't let that person corrupt your belief system.

BigBrownSanta

Call the Ethics Hotline and report it anonymously. That's what it's there for. Keep your nose clean. That should give LP the heads up to start investigating. I wouldn't say anything to the other person unless you see him stealing again.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Did you see him take the contents?

Was it not a box that was damaged and the contents were already missing, spilled, broken and the guy threw the empty box to get it out of the way?

I have alot of questions about this one. To say that he is an "accessory after the fact" is a bit strong and overblown. The author of the thread infact never said he SAW THE PERSON STEAL ANYTHING. Just said he saw him throw an empty box.

Honestly, it's possible it was NOT stealing and just one of those situations where the unloader SHOULD throw the empty box outside the trailer and let someone else deal with it.

If I was the author, I would not say anything given he/she did not physically and 100% see the person open the box and pocket the contents. If you did see them stealing, period, no questions asked, then report it.