The guy that was loading with me stole a package

drewed

Shankman
packages that appear pilfered should ALWAYS go directly to a supervisor. its on them at this point, if you believe its one of your coworkers that did it you need to tell him descretly that...in our building we probably have 50 cameras in a buildong thats about 200x 300 ft so theres a good possibility that its on camera

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Think about it- two guys signed into the truck. If anyone makes the connection that there are missing goods and one of two people are responsible, do you think he won't throw you under the bus?

You have not clarified this - DID YOU SEE HIM TAKE SOMETHING? If so, you must report it immediately. Telling the thief anything is non-productive and a bad idea. Tell your supe what you saw.

If you didn't clearly witness him taking anything, this is a non-issue - there is nothing to do here.

SoyFish

I say uhhhh don't worry about it. It's extremely common for empty boxes to appear once in a while. Meh, what would be worth stealing anyways?

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
What makes you think LP didn't stage the empty box there to see what you guys would do with it!!! I wouldn't put it past them.

P.S.

Listen to Mom! or go to your room with no dinner....

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
1 you assume he stole something, or you think he did
2 you did nothing at the time
2A and he now is not in posession of the "stolen" goods
3 you ask your mommy what you need to be doing (how old are you?)
4 your mommy gives you a mixed bag of advice, some of which is wrong
5 you are wrestling with what to do.

pretty simple. as tie suggested, you go in a bit early and speak one on one with your sup, and tell him what you know. that he was working in the trailer, and threw in the empty box. dont say more than you know for a fact. Dont say he stole something, just tell them that the situation made you very uncomfortable, that something wrong could have taken place.

as has been mentioned, if he indeed stole something, you are just as guilty as he if you dont say something. and if ups comes looking back, you will be under the cloud of suspicion. best not to even go there.

in my career i have either busted or helped bust several overlabling rings. not because i wanted to, but because it was part of my job.

do the right thing. in the end, it will work out.

d

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Just go to your sup and state the FACTS. Not what you think, not what you might assume, but the FACTS. You saw an empty package fly out. You are concerned about being accused of something.

When you join the Teamsters union you take a pledge not to bring reproach upon a fellow Teamster. I interpret that to mean that you do not take sides with management when they are having a dispute with a union brother. I do not interpret it to mean that you must remain silent when you witness a crime.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
not to bring reproach upon a fellow Teamster

for those of you in riolinda that means you should conduct yourself as a honest human being, ie lady, gentleman, and whatever they call the third sex these days.:wink2:

d

705red

Browncafe Steward
If you saw him stealing the contents of a package, opening a package you should report it immediately. Its obvious that its to late right now, but i would still report it to ups and than they can have the lp team investigate and monitor this employee. Lp will install cameras on the trailer to keep an eye on this employee. The union is not here to keep theives employeed.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I think Over was being just a tad sarcastic

To the contrary, I think he was serious. For all of his posts, he is not the man of the world he lets on to be! :happy-very:

Sex education for preschoolers these days. forget the fact that 50% of our highschool grads cant do jr high math.......

But its our fault for not being patriotic Americans and paying more than our fair share in taxes.........

d

tieguy

Banned
To the contrary, I think he was serious. For all of his posts, he is not the man of the world he lets on to be! :happy-very:

Sex education for preschoolers these days. forget the fact that 50% of our highschool grads cant do jr high math.......

But its our fault for not being patriotic Americans and paying more than our fair share in taxes.........

d

You guys haven't been sending the government a little extra? Sheesh wish someone had told me.

Mellen24

Okay guys,

I don't know about the hubs you work for, but those empty packages get reported back to UPS. They trace it back to see who was in the trailer or truck at the time. They will post someone around to catch the person in the act. They will get fired. I can only assume that if you are loading with the person that steals and you do not report what you saw, you are gone too.

This happened at my hub. One of the UPS management in security showed up in my pick. Said he was looking for his package. He stayed around for a few minutes, said he must have missed the box. Later, I saw him watching the doors under me. The next morning the guy loading the trailers was gone. He was stealing the games and DVD's getting sent to one of the stores. He had only been in that door for two days. They do not play games when it comes to someone stealing from them.

I suggest you call the 800 number. Tell them you didn't know what to do because you didn't actually see the guy take anything, but you felt compelled to tell someone about the empty box. They will take it from there. If you lose your job, it's from your own stupidity for not going to someone right then.

filthpig

I never thought of it that way. My first month on the job and I've already been put in 1 of the hardest situations I've ever had to deal with. This sucks.
If this is a "hard situation" for you then you're expecting to have a very easy life. This is a no-brainer. Walk up to you're supe on Monday and say "When Joe and I were loading the other day I witnessed what may have been illegal activity. " Then tell him exactly what happened. Done.