The Immigration Issue

tieguy

Banned
Watching the debate. Heard John Kerry claim that illegal immigrants were paying taxes for twenty years. How the hell does an illegal pay taxes without a social security number?

We also had to wonder how many illegal aliens John Kerry had working in the mansion.:lol:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I didn't see the debate, but your comment made me curious. My first thought was that he might be referring to sales taxes, but then I did did a quick google search for undocumented workers paying taxes and came up with the following:
Undocumented Workers Add Small Windfall to Social Security

Undocumented Workers Are Taxpayers, Too

Many Undocumented Workers Pay Taxes, Receive No Benefits

tieguy

Banned
Unbelievable. Which means there are employers out there not doing I9 verifications which requires verification of Social Security and a picture ID.

I wonder if the IRS has the same problem. Perhaps they could give us all a nice little refund.

Or even if the IRS is sitting on monies it can't assign to a taxpayer.

Jonesy thanks for the links.

wkmac

Solution to the immigration problem:

Why don't we all go back home and give it all back to the Indians!

They were here first anyway.:lol:

For me this is a mixed bag and you have to look at it from the Indians standpoint. What if they had set up what is being suggested in some quarters today prior to 1492'? Boy, now that throws a different spin on it does it not? I agree, it's a tough one to take. I know my ancestors literally walked off the boat 300 and 400 years ago (helps to be married to a genealogist and some idiot here is gonna think that's a female doctor) and never had to answer to any gov't authority in doing so. Just coming for a new life and independent spirit was all you needed.

Some here may not like this but I'll say it anyway. We've begged and begged for the gov't to be the all in one safety net for us and in many respects they are that and more. But if not for that net that we demanded of gov't, the issue of folks coming across the border would likely not be near as big an issue if even an issue at all.

Just goes to show time and time again that you can't have your cake and eat it too although many will try!
:chef:

tieguy

Banned
I don't think the issue is immigration but controlled immigration and security. if anyone can sneak across our borders then that includes those with terrorist interests. We should not reward those who were successfull in sneaking across our borders with citizenship.

moreluck

golden ticket member
David M. Bresnahan
April 1, 2006
NewsWithViews.com

Dear President Bush:

I'm about to plan a little trip with my family and extended family, and I would like to ask you to assist me. I'm going to walk across the border from the U.S. into Mexico, and I need to make a few arrangements. I know you can help with this.
I plan to skip all the legal stuff like visas, passports, immigration quotas and laws. I'm sure they handle those things the same way you do here.
So, would you mind telling your buddy, President Vicente Fox, that I'm on my way over? Please let him know that I will be expecting the following:

Free medical care for my entire family.
2. English-speaking government bureaucrats for all services I might need, whether I use them or not.
3. All government forms need to be printed in English.
4. I want my kids to be taught by English-speaking teachers.
5. Schools need to include classes on American culture and history.
6. I want my kids to see the American flag flying on the top of the flag pole at their school with the Mexican flag flying lower down.
7. Please plan to feed my kids at school for both breakfast and lunch.
8. I will need a local Mexican driver's license so I can get easy access to government services.
9. I do not plan to have any car insurance, and I won't make any effort to learn local traffic laws.
10. In case one of the Mexican police officers does not get the memo from Pres. Fox to leave me alone, please be sure that all police officers speak English.

I plan to fly the U.S. flag from my house top, put flag decals on my car, and have a gigantic celebration on July 4th. I do not want any complaints or negative comments from the locals.
12. I would also like to have a nice job without paying any taxes, and don’t enforce any labor laws or tax laws.
13. Please tell all the people in the country to be extremely nice and never say a critical word about me, or about the strain I might place on the economy.

I know this is an easy request because you already do all these things for all the people who come to the
U.S. from Mexico. I am sure that Pres. Fox won't mind returning the favor if you ask him nicely.
However, if he gives you any trouble, just invite him to go quail hunting with your V.P.

Thank you so much for your kind help.

Sincerely,

David M. Bresnahan

moreluck

golden ticket member
34 You shall treat the stranger who sojourns with you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.

Nobody's afraid of a bible reference. You could've just printed it out so people don't have to go searching. And no, I don't have the entire bible memorized........remember, us Catholics were told for years we weren't allowed to interpret, so why read it?

Almost as bad as just posting links.

Slothrop

moreluck said:
Nobody's afraid of a bible reference. You could've just printed it out so people don't have to go searching. And no, I don't have the entire bible memorized........remember, us Catholics were told for years we weren't allowed to interpret, so why read it?

Almost as bad as just posting links.

I went to Catholic school for 12 years, and worked in overseas Catholic missions, there has always been a bible in my house. Sometimes it is better to pick up and read for yourself in a familiar book, rather than have someone spoon feed you a translation that you may not be comfortable with.

The Bible has always been encouraged to be read in any Catholic Church I've attended, can you point me to a Catholic teaching that says otherwise?
The Church regards the Old Testament as inspired Scripture, faithfully conveying God’s revelation."

Now, if you don't believe that, fine, if not fine; but don't misrepresent the teachings of the Church.

I know you are a fan of the old 'copy & paste', but sometimes it is better to look things up for yourself. You may even learn something new and enlightening. You may even change your mind about something if you allow facts into your life.

BTW are your hired help all legal?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Also 12 yrs. Cath. schools.....we were taught that only the Pope could interpret for us........ Twenty-two (probably dead now) nuns taught that. I always have had a bible in the house. It's where the family records were written

I, however, have never had hired help.....housewise or yardwise. We do our own work and I still scrub floors on hands and knees and not with those pansy-ass Swifter things. I don't know where you keep getting the idea that I'm some pampered princess. Awfully narrow-minded of you.

Slothrop

moreluck said:
I don't know where you keep getting the idea that I'm some pampered princess. Awfully narrow-minded of you.

Let’s see…you live in San Clemente, coffee at Starbucks, wife of retired mgt, spend all day on Brown Café, make racist comments, die hard Repub…yeah, where would I get an idea like that?

moreluck

golden ticket member
back to the topic..

Illegal Immigrant...... key word is illegal.......if they broke the law to come here, you don't reward them.

If your kids shoplift in the store you don't give them a high-five and say what a great job they did. What kind of lesson comes from that.

If immigrants go through the proper channels to citizenship here, then they are more than welcome.

Slothrop

Moreluck,

I have more questions than answers. Do you have any answers?

One question I have is ‘What would you do to provide a better life for your family?’

Another question I have is ‘Would you have the same opinion on immigration if the immigrants were _______ (fill in the blank) instead of Mexican?’ In your case is would say ‘white instead of brown’.

Do you think current immigration laws are fair? Do you agree with the quota system? Do you think there should be an amnesty, such as Reagan gave? Do you think families should be broken up?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I for one would not leave my family behind to make a better life. If I wanted to make it better by coming to another country, I would do it legally, so my family would have no further problems once here.
I would not feel differently no matter what nationality was put in the place of Mexican.
Breaking the law is lawbreaking, period. Doesnt matter who does it. There is a legal way to be a citizen, it may be hard, but it is a law. And if they cannot follow the law to get here, what will they do once here?

I feel for them, I really do, but I have enough people to take care of, the people who choose to sit on their ass to collect a check instead of doing the jobs the illegals are doing would be the beginning. There are many problems with the immigration issue. Doing it by illegal means, does not exonerate them because theY "want" a better life. Some things take work. Just because you enjoy your coffee at Starbucks does not make you "EVIL". Hell we dont even have one or I would too! And I hardly live in San Clemente. And so what if I do. You could too, You are legal. You are an American, MOVE.