The new package cars

Overpaid Union Thug

Our night mechanic is less than motivated and I have had to do this on several occasions.
We only have a night mechanic. And when he's out on vacation it's a bad time in our center. The hub is supposed to send their people to take care of any write ups when he's off but all they do is bitch and wine and red tag trucks for issues our mechanic can fix in no time.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
We've just started taking on new package cars in the past few months, they're based on the new weight Mercedes Sprinter as the larger Mercedes Vario pictured here has ceased production

The new trucks are similar size but have a 2 ton lower gross weight after a lot of package cars were weighed when leaving and returning to the center and it was decided the current 7.5ton weight wasn't needed as they would bulk out before hitting close to maximum weight. Mercedes along with the body manufacturer Spier have developed 3 new trucks P60, 70, 80 ranging from 3tons to 5.5 tons and with different body styles for different environments.

http://blog.ups.com/2013/01/09/see-more-hear-less-new-ups-vehicles-in-germany/

The new P60

P80
620_54a65d2aad5f2.jpg
I'm sure the lower gross will be just peachy until there's a big paper pickup. Then the cars will be crushed to death because it seems the weight of those things never get taken into account by the center team.

Tiny Panda

This it, even if the badge is removed you can still see the shaped grill where it sat.

Mercedes is proud to support UPS so i guess it goes both ways, they build new vehicles and UPS advertises that fact.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Can't say I've observed this. My guess would be the vehicle driving the engine while the torque converter is still locked plus being throttle by wire.
On my 85xxxx (2013) Freightliner p80x in the winter when its cold the transmission makes a loud thunk when attempting to go from 2nd to 1st gear when stopping at the first stop sign. Only happens in the winter and only until the Caitlyn fluid warms up.
Have you seen/heard that about its cousins?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I'm sure the lower gross will be just peachy until there's a big paper pickup. Then the cars will be crushed to death because it seems the weight of those things never get taken into account by the center team.
On a previous route I picked up 300 cases of paper products (8 pallets)...the 14cube freightliner wouldnt go above 47mph on the highway. Another guy picked up 327 from the same place and blew out the tires...but they won't assign a feeder because 2 days a week they only do 100 pieces (3 pallets).

Overpaid Union Thug

On my 85xxxx (2013) Freightliner p80x in the winter when its cold the transmission makes a loud thunk when attempting to go from 2nd to 1st gear when stopping at the first stop sign. Only happens in the winter and only until the Caitlyn fluid warms up.
I really like mine. My only problem with it is that damn "Shift Inhibit."

ManInBrown

Those are horrible. Luckily my 8 cube is brand new with 18K miles. Hopefully I won't have to deal with any of these new cars for a long time. Can't open the door on the P60 or P80. No way they have AC. Brutal.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Not all the 85x ones have the "put you in a time out" inhibit. I lucked out and have the inhibit that makes you wait for a moment until the RPMs get lower, and then the inhibit disengages. The inhibit that is super sensitive and that once engaged requires you to physically move the shifter out of the gear and back in again with the brake pedal used to drive me insane.

chris9834

Well the 854*** cars do it too if you lay in it when your getting on a busy road way then you are nearing your next turn in and you let of the accelerator and the rpms hang they all do it its just weird.

chris9834

Yes man it gets me mad then you have to push the stiff shifter back into neutral then back into gear the latest cars are very bad about that. I think the best cars about getting into gear the fastest are the work horses everytime I hit the start button throw it immediately into gear and drop the e brake its already rolling down the road there is no delay in theses models.

Overpaid Union Thug

Yes man it gets me mad then you have to push the stiff shifter back into neutral then back into gear the latest cars are very bad about that. I think the best cars about getting into gear the fastest are the work horses everytime I hit the start button throw it immediately into gear and drop the e brake its already rolling down the road there is no delay in theses models.
The shift inhibit happens because the brake isn't pressed hard enough or something. It's real quirky though. Sometimes I think it's going to happen and doesn't. I've went days without it happening and then it starts again.

chris9834

Not all the 85x ones have the "put you in a time out" inhibit. I lucked out and have the inhibit that makes you wait for a moment until the RPMs get lower, and then the inhibit disengages. The inhibit that is super sensitive and that once engaged requires you to physically move the shifter out of the gear and back in again with the brake pedal used to drive me insane.
Yea everyonce in awhile I will run a route that has a 854xxx car and its one of my favorites I think you got one of the last good year models imo.

SCV good to go sir.

No I tried to post a pic of them. But the exterior pic is the same body tho expect the ones im talking about say natural gas vehicle and the new ones no longer say synchronizing the world of commerce , is that second photo of a Fed Ex truck it has a radio in it lol.

Yeah, ha ha. The pictures are from some site that sells FedEx trucks.

I don't think I've seen the newer ones (like the ones in your post), I'll have to check next week. I like the P1000 Freightliners though.

chris9834

Yeah, ha ha. The pictures are from some site that sells FedEx trucks.

I don't think I've seen the newer ones (like the ones in your post), I'll have to check next week. I like the P1000 Freightliners though.
I just posted a photo of the outside of a new one its like a couple post up check it out.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Not really. The transmissions may need to readjust with the adaptive shifts if it persists with fluid that cold (if that's really the issue).