the P500 has been reborn

browniehound

Me too! I went to a resort in NH. AND who else is there but an account exec friend! Amazing the UPSers you run into wherever you are!

Over,
Its crazy isn't it? You see someone you know from working at UPS in the least spot you would have thought? NH is a sparsely populated state, yet you run into someone who you have worked with.

Did he ask you to get a sales lead when you get off vacation:knockedout:? I ask because it wouldn't suprise me in the VERY LEAST:happy2:.

Also, I run into former UPSers that approach me out of the blue when I'm on route and want to discuss the business. I'd be happy to join in the converstation but i don't have friggin time!!!!

Lastly, when I'm out on weekend nights in town(Boston, Cambridge, or Somerville) I usually bump into a customer from my UPS world. I see them and they see me, but they can't quite place my face!

If I go out at night on a weekend, its almost a given that I will bump into someone that I have delivered to at UPS. Even if they don't know me, I never forget at face:happy2:.

Its funny to leave them in doubt, but I like to see their face when I drop the bomb! How do they not remember me from UPS? I wear that stupid looking uniform everyday, how can I be mistaken for??????

HA! the thing is they don't recognize us out of uniform :dissapointed:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Around my building one can find all of the packages cars others have not seen in a while. P32, P500, P600, P700, P800, P1000, & P12's, we tend to be the last ones to use these cars before they get crushed.

thom1842

Our PCM a few days ago was from the district manager and he promised us that all our P-50s are going away we still have about 12 out of our 50-60 total vehicles. Our last two P-32s were just sent to the crusher this week and the 50's are next up. Our fleet (Air Gateway, we only run air) is about 65% P-47s, 20% P-50s, 5% P-70s, 5% P-100s, and one P-80 and a couple Box Vans.
Hopefully we will get the new P-50s they are about the right size for the air operation, but we usually just get package cars from the local ground hubs after they have abused them for a while. :biting:

disneyworld

Just as the last of the old P500's are seeing there last days of work. I am sure a lot of guys have been down in the dumps fretting they will not be able to hop in the old p500 and go for a drive for old time sake. :wink2:

There is a new version of the P500 coming soon. The first order of 500 trucks will be in service soon if not already. With a new aerodynamic hood and the modern technology, drivers of old will be able to relive there early days in those P500's once again.

More details to follow as they come in.
Be sure to duck when coming out the back doors. "DOH-Son of a ......, that's gonna leave a mark".

satellitedriver

We've got a bunch of brand new p5's... They are too small. I don't like delivering out of them. Drivers seat is too uncomfortable. You need to be a short male or normal female to fit them properly.
You really would have loved the old "death trap" P4's.
They made a P32 look like a a full size Winnebago.

UPS GIRL

My old P500 was miniature. The back door was really low & everything on a smaller scale than the regular P5's. Being almost 5'1" I thought it was great. All the guys I've talked to that had driven my "old" truck had horror stories about hitting their heads on that damn truck...

I have the new P57, now. It's awsome!

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
You really would have loved the old "death trap" P4's.
They made a P32 look like a a full size Winnebago.
Back in the day I loved the old P400's. #66299 had a Ford chassis & one driver took great care of it from the time it was new. Hardly any rattles, handled as well any 1960's era passenger car and the 6 cylinder 300 c.i. would scream if you wanted it too. I used to beg to use it at peak because all the work wouldn't fit that was planned for me.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I wonder why no one has mentioned the old ford P3's, the Econoline vans; regular and the bubbletops, the first automatic air vans. They were easy to drive, but had small brakes, never hit the brakes hard on a wet road the stopping distance was forever. UPS keep them on the roads until the P32 came along; way to long; most had no floors left, the heaters never worked( unless you got up to highway speeds and opened a vent to blow some engine heat into the cab ), and we had many cracked windshields by accident when someone tossed the clipboard up to the dash. If you happened to lock the keys inside, the trick was to keep pressing on the vent window until the locking clip released.
My favorite air car was the caravan, front wheel drive, V-6, and tiny. I once stopped at a Chrysler dealership & no one there had a clue what I was driving.( All they had seen was the Grand Caravan ...which was twice the size ). When It came time to crush it , the mechanics took turns ramming it with the forklift.