The Pope is a Dope

wkmac

Just for $chitts and giggles.

What if an organization named Institute for the Works of Religion (IOR) turned out to be the 2nd largest shareholder for Fabbrica d’Armi Pietro Beretta and another name for IOR is the more commonly known term Vatican Bank?

If this turned out to be true, would it mean anything?

Just being curious with hypotheticals.

bbsam

Staff member
I like this pope. I think he's generally on the right path. That he and the church remain flawed...horribly so...means only one thing to me, something that all flawed organizations have in common...they have people in them.

It's easy to condemn for glaring deficiencies and miss the massive upheavel taking place.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I like this pope. I think he's generally on the right path. That he and the church remain flawed...horribly so...means only one thing to me, something that all flawed organizations have in common...they have people in them.

It's easy to condemn for glaring deficiencies and miss the massive upheavel taking place.

The Pope today is backpedaling as fast as he can from his meeting with Kim Davis. Obviously, reaction wasn't favorable, so he's reacting...just like a politician.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The pope only briefly met with Kim Davis, despite what her lawyer wants to sell to the media. But he did have a much longer sit down with a former student, Yavo Grassi, who happens to be gay, and his male partner of 19 years

The timing of these two meetings making news headlines is most likely not coincidental given the politics that comes with religion. Sunday, the Vatican begins Synod, a 3 week meeting discussing the future of the church's position on social issues such as family, homosexuality, single parents, and divorce.

Maybe the pope meeting with both Kim Davis, and a personal friend who happens to be gay, isn't hypocrisy at all..... but rather a subtle portrayal of the direction he wants Catholicism to go in the future. Maybe he can support Kim Davis and Yavo Grassi both as conscientious objectors, one legal and the other religious. Or maybe it's just a political move to play both sides.... I don't know the guy, could go either way.

Say what you want about the current pope, but you can't deny he's the best case scenario for the Catholic church at this point in time.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The Vatican has released a photo of the pope's meeting with Kim Davis...

dOPlf0C.jpg

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The pope only briefly met with Kim Davis, despite what her lawyer wants to sell to the media. But he did have a much longer sit down with a former student, Yavo Grassi, who happens to be gay, and his male partner of 19 years

The timing of these two meetings making news headlines is most likely not coincidental given the politics that comes with religion. Sunday, the Vatican begins Synod, a 3 week meeting discussing the future of the church's position on social issues such as family, homosexuality, single parents, and divorce.

Maybe the pope meeting with both Kim Davis, and a personal friend who happens to be gay, isn't hypocrisy at all..... but rather a subtle portrayal of the direction he wants Catholicism to go in the future. Maybe he can support Kim Davis and Yavo Grassi both as conscientious objectors, one legal and the other religious. Or maybe it's just a political move to play both sides.... I don't know the guy, could go either way.

Say what you want about the current pope, but you can't deny he's the best case scenario for the Catholic church at this point in time.

When I heard that he had met with the gay couple, my hopes rose a bit. Perhaps the Pope is doing exactly what you suggested, which would certainly be a good thing. I still think that meeting with Kim Davis was stupid, but I agree that he's the best product they've put out for quite awhile in terms of being progressive.

newfie

Meeting with Kim Davis? He just dropped several levels with most sane people.

He should have told her "DO YOUR JOB!!!".

From the church known for condoning homosexual pedophilia. Amazing.

if this was a sincere and honest post you would have mentioned that the current pope has spoken out against Homosexual pedophilia and while you don't mention it he also spoke out against pedophilia in general.( not sure why it was necessary to further dramatize the sickness by making it homosexual pedophilia) He also addressed the issue by saying that more accountability needs to take place in the higher ranks when this is covered up. I'm not a catholic by any means, I am shocked though that you would take this position since the current pope has so far proven himself to be very liberal in his thinking and certainly supported your line of thought much more then the conservative side you seek to bash with this post.

newfie

I totally agree that the Pope needs armed security.

It would logically follow, however, that the weapons that are being carried by his security must be manufactured by, and purchased from, an arms company.

He seems to be implying by his statement that no one who manufactures or sells weapons can in good conscience call themselves a Christian. How then can one carry such a weapon and still be a Christian?

Perhaps he needs to clarify his statement because it is hypocritical to both condemn and embrace a thing at the same time.

the pope is not alone in that hypocrisy . The president and many other leaders that demonize guns also benefit from their protection.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
the pope is not alone in that hypocrisy . The president and many other leaders that demonize guns also benefit from their protection.
Only problem with that comparison is the security people have had training and background checks and have registered their weapons, which is what the leaders who "demonize guns" are asking for.

Maybe republican politicians who require their armed security to register their weapons and have training and background checks are the real hypocrites because they oppose those things for the public but embrace them for their own security teams?

newfie

Only problem with that comparison is the security people have had training and background checks and have registered their weapons, which is what the leaders who "demonize guns" are asking for.

Maybe republican politicians who require their armed security to register their weapons and have training and background checks are the real hypocrites because they oppose those things for the public but embrace them for their own security teams?

or perhaps they want the criminals who buy their guns in the back alleys to submit to the same scrutiny?

Last edited:

newfie

I guess he could break up Michalangelo's wall paintings into small blocks and sell them? Perhaps sell the tombs of the previous popes to the highest bidders? This liberal nonsense sounds good but not sure it would work that well.

wkmac

I guess he could break up Michalangelo's wall paintings into small blocks and sell them? Perhaps sell the tombs of the previous popes to the highest bidders? This liberal nonsense sounds good but not sure it would work that well.

Suggests that without Michelangelo's paintings there may be little of your god even left. In the Old Testament such works would be destroyed on the grounds of having violated the 2nd commandment. Why ignore that Old Testament law and cherry pick so many others?

I'd also suggest that Stephen Fry may well see those great works of more value than you do. Were they to include a reference to another god or even be about another god, Fry would still treasure them as a great work whereas I'm not convinced you would still feel of them as you do now.

Maybe that in itself sez much.