The real threat to FedEx - in my soapbox opinion

XEQaF

When we think about what is an active threat to the business interests of FedEx we are short sighted if we think that direct competitors and even new emerging ones (Amazon) pose the greatest fear in this company. I believe FedEx has done well to insulate themselves from the impact competitors may have. They are well diversified in not only their customer base, but also in the divisional structures they have made to provide value added specific service.

Overall they proved to weather the storms; they have a solid network and have provided an exceptional service that is a household name in their industry. They are crafty and innovative in staying ahead and surviving. The financial metrics for the company historically are strong. They will not be severely impacted by competitors. As long as there is a US economy or a North American economy intact, FedEx will keep moving along despite anything that will come in their way. It is almost safe to assume, FedEx can control the market, its position and economics.

When there is a turn in the economy they will readjust in terms of curbing spending, focus on key areas to improve, and damage control. The acquisition of TNT didn’t go as planned in many ways for the moment and the adjustments are being made. Stock price decline has dampened their performance and we will see how the market interprets that with the earnings release Mar. 19.

The only way a slow down can impact FedEx is with a perfect storm ie. Competitive, economic, industrial shift. A dynamic shift in doing the job better, cheaper and faster as a trend will impact their results. As of now we haven’t seen this emerge, even though some will say Amazon has the clout to do so. If they do it will take some time to surpass the network efficiencies built by FedEx, UPS over the years.

The greatest disparity will be with the employees. It seems by moving business forward, they haven’t progressed in terms of their very own workforce. So herein lies the biggest threat. Being confident controlling those external forces, FedEx seems to find difficulty in controlling the biggest threat being its own people. This is why you see such a rigid structure in the hierarchy to in fact control its biggest unknown which lies right beneath them. Organizing itself will be the ultimate factor that FedEx workforce can do to shake the corporation to its core. Each employee, contractor, agent must align together to seek harmony in their environment. The only way to change in a country, ideology, society etc is by collective movement. This will be true in the case of FedEx if serious change is to happen.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
When we think about what is an active threat to the business interests of FedEx we are short sighted if we think that direct competitors and even new emerging ones (Amazon) pose the greatest fear in this company. I believe FedEx has done well to insulate themselves from the impact competitors may have. They are well diversified in not only their customer base, but also in the divisional structures they have made to provide value added specific service.

Overall they proved to weather the storms; they have a solid network and have provided an exceptional service that is a household name in their industry. They are crafty and innovative in staying ahead and surviving. The financial metrics for the company historically are strong. They will not be severely impacted by competitors. As long as there is a US economy or a North American economy intact, FedEx will keep moving along despite anything that will come in their way. It is almost safe to assume, FedEx can control the market, its position and economics.

When there is a turn in the economy they will readjust in terms of curbing spending, focus on key areas to improve, and damage control. The acquisition of TNT didn’t go as planned in many ways for the moment and the adjustments are being made. Stock price decline has dampened their performance and we will see how the market interprets that with the earnings release Mar. 19.

The only way a slow down can impact FedEx is with a perfect storm ie. Competitive, economic, industrial shift. A dynamic shift in doing the job better, cheaper and faster as a trend will impact their results. As of now we haven’t seen this emerge, even though some will say Amazon has the clout to do so. If they do it will take some time to surpass the network efficiencies built by FedEx, UPS over the years.

The greatest disparity will be with the employees. It seems by moving business forward, they haven’t progressed in terms of their very own workforce. So herein lies the biggest threat. Being confident controlling those external forces, FedEx seems to find difficulty in controlling the biggest threat being its own people. This is why you see such a rigid structure in the hierarchy to in fact control its biggest unknown which lies right beneath them. Organizing itself will be the ultimate factor that FedEx workforce can do to shake the corporation to its core. Each employee, contractor, agent must align together to seek harmony in their environment. The only way to change in a country, ideology, society etc is by collective movement. This will be true in the case of FedEx if serious change is to happen.
Nah!

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
61B69AB0-ABEF-464A-BF53-A3C9CE228163.gif

bacha29

Ok, so what's your point?

TNT Frosty

May I add my two cents???
Well tough, im adding it... ;)

Real Threat.... the drivers... FedEx Company drivers... and Owner Operators...

Why...

We are the face of the company, customers may be stupid, but they arnt fully bat :censored2: crazy (I do question people who go to walmart at 2am with all the loonies)
If a driver is dirty, grumpy, has no idea on what they are doing, doesnt care... chances of that person using fedex.. slim to non..
Doesnt care of rates, but I have had to go to another drivers run, to do his "bigger" pickups, as they want to ship alot with us... but they dont like the driver on that route, and he doesnt care, and his grumpy all the time, and will do the complete min work load possible... and yet still on the road for 11 hours a day, and then complain why his not getting bonus like the others. (Had massive meeting about it, because it not only affects the drivers run, and other drivers runs... but fedex as a business)
Once you lose that care factor, that willingness to put a smile on, and leave your home BS at home (Or at least speak to someone about your home problem).. dont show negatively to a customer... simple...

At times ive been down in the dumps, tired, worn out... but do customers see it, nope... I still take care of their parcels like it was one of mine for my model trains (as if you deal with scale models, you know how fragile they are)
If a customer is willing to have a large box fall flat on the truck, I stand on the other side, and hold it and slowly lower it down, even if the customer suggest other wise...
Do I want a reward.. no... I want to keep my job, and to still have a job, and without caring for the freight, we will start losing more and more, and soon, alot of people going to be looking at pan handling, or worse, walking into walmart at 2am, and wearing your g-string on the outside of your giant diapers.

It will be fine

May I add my two cents???
Well tough, im adding it... ;)

Real Threat.... the drivers... FedEx Company drivers... and Owner Operators...

Why...

We are the face of the company, customers may be stupid, but they arnt fully bat :censored2: crazy (I do question people who go to walmart at 2am with all the loonies)
If a driver is dirty, grumpy, has no idea on what they are doing, doesnt care... chances of that person using fedex.. slim to non..
Doesnt care of rates, but I have had to go to another drivers run, to do his "bigger" pickups, as they want to ship alot with us... but they dont like the driver on that route, and he doesnt care, and his grumpy all the time, and will do the complete min work load possible... and yet still on the road for 11 hours a day, and then complain why his not getting bonus like the others. (Had massive meeting about it, because it not only affects the drivers run, and other drivers runs... but fedex as a business)
Once you lose that care factor, that willingness to put a smile on, and leave your home BS at home (Or at least speak to someone about your home problem).. dont show negatively to a customer... simple...

At times ive been down in the dumps, tired, worn out... but do customers see it, nope... I still take care of their parcels like it was one of mine for my model trains (as if you deal with scale models, you know how fragile they are)
If a customer is willing to have a large box fall flat on the truck, I stand on the other side, and hold it and slowly lower it down, even if the customer suggest other wise...
Do I want a reward.. no... I want to keep my job, and to still have a job, and without caring for the freight, we will start losing more and more, and soon, alot of people going to be looking at pan handling, or worse, walking into walmart at 2am, and wearing your g-string on the outside of your giant diapers.
The continued growth of the Ground opco has shown that concept to be incorrect.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
OMG, this is absolutely shocking, disgusting and to say the very least (if in fact true) extremely disappointing! - Frosty, are you telling us that WalMart’s in Australia too? :confused:

XEQaF

Ok, so what's your point?

In essence, we hear talk about Amazon taking market share and what costly impact that will have to FedEx, but reality is that this isn't FDX's threat to worry about. The major threat is if it's own workforce stands against what seems to be a totalitarian approach. If it's organized or not, the employees must not just accept what is handed to them and say "oh well what can you do"

TNT Frosty

OMG, this is absolutely shocking, disgusting and to say the very least (if in fact true) extremely disappointing! - Frosty, are you telling us that WalMart’s in Australia too? :confused:

I wish we had a walmart, they had a few prospected sites (even had the fences up).. I was in America for a month with the Ex, and well, she manages a walmart (still on friendly terms)
We do have a few Costco stores but... again, rather a walmart (but our other markets wont let them/take them to court.. they dont like competition)

vantexan

In essence, we hear talk about Amazon taking market share and what costly impact that will have to FedEx, but reality is that this isn't FDX's threat to worry about. The major threat is if it's own workforce stands against what seems to be a totalitarian approach. If it's organized or not, the employees must not just accept what is handed to them and say "oh well what can you do"
There are built in barriers to organising that FedEx helped get in place with substantial contributions to lawmakers. So nearly impossible that the most logical choice for a union, the Teamsters, gave up on trying with Express. FedEx is more governed by employee turnover. They only gave more when employee turnover became so extreme they either had to or watch the business founder. But that did little good for the employees who already quit.

TNT Frosty

not sure if this is the place for it but... 2018 Jun - 2018 Dec... we had only 40 new employees, and only 7 are still with us

Income statement of FedEx from 2016-2019 (so far)

FedEx Express Revenue = $25,550,000,000 (TNT is included with Express, even though as TNT, we do it all)
FedEx Ground Revenue = $15,051,000,000
FedEx Freight Revenue = $5,825,000,000
FedEx Services (online sales of boxes, tape, labels etc) = $1,593,000,000

=========================
I do recall somewhere that you guys are getting a pay increase, but in the short term its so minor you dont see it, like an extra $0.20 an hour (I do have it somewhere posted)
=========================
As for tern over, there are lots of talk, but noone knows for sure, even the guys that do leave, dont say why, or what could change their minds (leave too soon to be friends with anyone)

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
not sure if this is the place for it but... 2018 Jun - 2018 Dec... we had only 40 new employees, and only 7 are still with us
Sounds like the retention problem is not just in the USA. Hiring, interviewing and training are time consuming and expensive. FedEx will never learn it though.