The Right Way Or The Wrong Way

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That tends to be my approach on my personal stuff.

At UPS, I have learned that "Good enough" is good enough. It's just business.

Let me rephrase my original post to more accurately reflect my thoughts.

Quality is defined as adherence to a predefined set of specifications.

At UPS, we do not get to define what quality is but rather quality is defined as our completion of a task or deliverable within the time and with the resources to a predefined set of specifications and conditions.

This tends to be the case when the variable given the most weight is quantity vs quality.

arice11

I like this job. I don't want to be laid off. I have to prove myself. I know it can be done if I show them I mean business.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
12-year preloader here.

Should preloaders rip the stickers off of those felt bags filled with small packages? One guy said yes, some no, another said he didn't care about it, "just throw them on"

The sort answer: ask your boss.

Old labels need to come off, but each supervisor/manager has a different opinion of who should do it. I can unload a trailer with most every package back-to-back, and my SPA person still has ample time to pull the old labels off. Since it's not costing the company any time, I think this is the best approach. But I'm not management :). Some SPA people whine & complain about having to do it, some just aren't as quick. Meanwhile, some supervisors (wrongly) believe it costs the unload time and differs the task to the sorter, person dumping the bags, person bundling the bags (if your center does that) or person bagging--others encourage that person to stack labels. But when the new label falls off exposing the old one in transit, and the bag is then moved to the place indicated on the old tag, the blame game begins - and it's not fun. We had this happen a few years ago; a bag containing a couple hundred international NDA envelopes was returned to our building after the new label fell off, and they started insisting unloaders peel the labels. But it only lasted a few weeks.

Is it acceptable to toss the felt bags aside to focus on the boxes then load them on the belt later? (most said yes but others said no)

Yes, unless your supervisor tells you differently, you should focus on unloading boxes first and then process the forever bags. It's much faster to do it this way, since unloading the bags is time consuming and is best done in between trailers. It also gives the unloader time to rest. If a trailer doesn't have any bags, it enables your supervisor to give them yours to process, rather than standing around B.S.ing about how much they love Tim Tebow. Sometimes there's too many bags and they begin intruding on your exit paths, if that's the case, stop and reduce the pile. Note that in many buildings,
bags are processed entirely within the small sort, although your SPA person should retain some to process while you're unloading/in between trailers.

Is is fine to toss boxes with the label facing any which direction?

The labels need to be facing so that your SPA person and the sorter than quickly scan/read them. For some SPA people, including myself, they just need to be visible; for others, they'll b!tch and moan unless they're in a uniform direction. But the SPA person should never have to flip a box over - although I'll make an exception to this if I'm in the back of a 53' with equipment stretching 42' and walking 60 lbs. to the rollers... then the SPA person has plenty of time to find the label, instead of B.S.ing about Time Tebow. But always make adjustments to who you're working with.